Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    Another thinly veiled brag? imo
    No, what I'm saying is that sex with a girlfriend is hardly something to brag about. If you're ******* models, go ahead and brag - but a girlfriend? Well, shagging a girlfriend is a given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    What's the rush? If you're not going to get married for 3 to 4 years, what's the point in being engaged now? 2 years is really hardly anything when you're still a teenager.

(Original post by jennikay)
    This.

The way I see it, engagement is a time in which to plan the wedding tbh, so what's the point in being engaged for ages?

People see it differently though. I know someone who was engaged for 6 years before they got married, and someone else who hasn't got married yet and has been engaged for 7 years. Even I, myself, have been engaged for 3 years. An engagement is a time for planning the wedding, but then sometimes things don't go according to plan as quickly, i.e: money, so you end up being engaged for a bit longer.

To answer the OP, if it feels right then go for it. I wouldn't say it's too early, you've been together for 2 years like you said, but it all depends on whether you feel like it's too early and if you'd rather wait or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    I'm guessing a Christian wants to get laid :p:

It's the only logical thing I can think as to why someone would want to get married so young.

Am I right?

That's not necessarily true. Loads of young people are engaged before they reach the age of 20.

ReputationRep:
    S'up to you but personally I'd say wait at least another year as uni is a time when everyone changes and sometimes values and ideals change too - not wanting to be patronising cos I'm still at uni too but I know that now my choice of course/career is 'real' some of my longer-term plans have changed as has my relationship with my boyfriend of 2-3 yrs. Lots of my friends feel the same too, everyone changes hugely the whole time they're at uni!

There's no rush and if it's meant to be then she'll still be there for you to propose to in a year or so...

I'm also no fan of the long engagement, anything over 2-3 yrs seems pointless, but that's just me :o:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Some people get engaged and never marry for years. I don't see the problem. If you want to propose then go ahead People here are suggesting when you go to uni you'll break up but if you love each other enough you definitely won't. As for the whole 'you'll miss out on other relationships' why does it matter? It's not a contest and if you find 'the one' early on in life good for you, don't sacrifice it for the sake of experience because in the end it shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    People here are suggesting when you go to uni you'll break up but if you love each other enough you definitely won't.
    they're already at uni.
    And it's not all about loving each other enough. Love alone can't hold a relationship together: you need to want many of the same things in life and have similar ideas about running a household. Doesn't matter how much you love each other if you want to live at opposite ends of the country, one of you wants kids and the other doesn't, one of you is a neat freak and the other is super messy, one of you thinks the bills should be an even split and one thinks it should be proportionate to earnings, etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you, yourself, are questioning whether it is too early, then it probably is.

I mean, if you felt it was right to propose to her, you wouldn't be asking us. You would just propose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.