Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to Uni - What Can I do to prepare? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm applying to University of Sheffield - Computer Science.

I've heard it's one of the best in the country for it - so I'm wanting to study there!

However, my grades aren't currently up to scratch to be honest. I meet the requirements for the Foundation Year, but would prefer to go onto the Honours.

I'm applying to both anyway, just in case.

I've noticed in my Ucas Application that it asks me if I've attended anything to 'prepare for higher education'... Which sounds like something I should be doing! (I know I'm applying through UCAS rather late...)

I was wondering can anybody recommend me any distant learning courses/college courses/ anything I could do from now until September to possibly help my application!

I've looked at college courses but they all start in September... Which is no use to me =[

I live in Sheffield, but will be willing to travel around (Manchester or Leeds) to attend a college or something that would help me top up my application...

Anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    There probably wouldn't be any courses you could do, no. Most people don't attend anything to prepare for HE tbh, so I wouldn't worry.

Are you applying as a post-A level student, or are you sitting your exams this year?

ReputationRep:
    I've already sat my exams, about 2/3 years ago.

I've been at University before, however I didn't like my course so I decided to work for a while instead until I found something I liked and was serious about =]

Surely there must be something online I could do that would look good on my application? =[

ReputationRep:
    I think it means like summer schools and that, but I'm not sure. I didn't do anything like this, and I don't know anyone who did

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it, this late in the day. You really needed to find something to do pre-September or January, at the latest.

Thing is, if your grades aren't good enough to get onto the course, then you're not going to be accepted as a post-A level student. You may well have to go onto the foundation course, unless you wait another year and go in 2011.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.