Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Support for families/friends of the deployed? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the best place to post but I reckoned most people in H&R wouldn't have a clue.

My boyfriend is in the RAF police and is being deployed to Afghanistan at the end of the month. I'm pretty distraught and ever since we were told (only last week...) I've been searching the web for some kind of support group, forums and the like for families and partners of the deployed or generally those in the RAF, but I can't seem to find anything that isn't American or to do with families as in wives and kids.
    So it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction
    Any other advice about deployment would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Get in touch with the Hive on whichever station he's based at, they'd be best placed to help you out.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Your problem is searching the internet for it. There's a forum called Rear Party, I think, which is for partners left behind while people are on ops, but you'll find there's plenty of support available face-to-face through his unit. That's probably a lot better than tapping out lonely messages on the internet, and that should be your first port of call.

ReputationRep:
    go on ARRSe...SSAFA would help.....

don't worry though, he is military police with RAF, they don't do front line combat...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    don't worry though, he is military police with RAF, they don't do front line combat...
    Some do go rather further forward than you know about. You'd do better to just shut up and keep your ignorance to yourself.

Part of the problem with support is that you are a girlfriend and not a spouse, so you're not next of kin. Your boyfriend would do well to talk to his chain of command, the admin section and, depending on where he works, the station welfare / family officer. I don't really know what you want from them so I can't really advise more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Some do go rather further forward than you know about. You'd do better to just shut up and keep your ignorance to yourself.

Part of the problem with support is that you are a girlfriend and not a spouse, so you're not next of kin. Your boyfriend would do well to talk to his chain of command, the admin section and, depending on where he works, the station welfare / family officer. I don't really know what you want from them so I can't really advise more than that.
    So do military police in the RAF do front line combat....no

so why don't you shut up

ReputationRep:
    Ermm don't argue!!
    He's going to be doing essentially security at Bastion. He described it as quite a 'cushy' job. But it's not the same for everyone obviously, there are lots of jobs to be done.
    I'm going to have all of his contact details, and next of kin, his family, will obviously contact me if...they need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Your problem is searching the internet for it. There's a forum called Rear Party, I think, which is for partners left behind while people are on ops, but you'll find there's plenty of support available face-to-face through his unit. That's probably a lot better than tapping out lonely messages on the internet, and that should be your first port of call.
    Yeah, he said that his boss asked everyone to be there for his wife and go and see her if she needed anything, I thought that was really sweet.

Rear Party- thanks- I saw that ages ago but I lost it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.