Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, after my gap year i am a undergrad at Newcastle University studying Law. I do have decisions to make on what career i want to pursue, but in particular the world of IB has caught my eye. Thing is, i have done zero research so far and intend to look into it deeply from now to see if it is for me.

Problem is that i have a zero maths background, only a Maths GCSE. Would it be doable to take a Maths course to satisfy the basic requirements? Also, will a first in Law get my foot through the door ?

I'm a noob at the minute but point me towards the right direction and i'll look for what i will.

ReputationRep:
    What area of IB are you specifically interested in? or is your interest based on $$$?

It is possible to get in from Newcastle Uni, but only the most motivated students stand a chance. You need to ask yourself is this something you really want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    What area of IB are you specifically interested in? or is your interest based on $$$?

It is possible to get in from Newcastle Uni, but only the most motivated students stand a chance. You need to ask yourself is this something you really want.
    Obviously the money is a motivating factor, but it is overstated in the sense that living costs will be way higher in London. So, i'm ambivalent on that one.

I'm intending to go for middle office, in the risk management field. I just need a sense of direction on where i can max my chances of getting in, i'm highly motivated and will take whatever course in my spare time.

ReputationRep:
    Why not compliance? You'll struggle to get in to risk without Maths A-Level. Do Maths & Further Maths A-Levels in your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Why not compliance? You'll struggle to get in to risk without Maths A-Level. Do Maths & Further Maths A-Levels in your gap year.

Yeah, i've heard compliance is the more popular route for Law grads, but i don't actually have an idea of what it involves? Whatever field i go for will need numerical competence though, so i don't know if my lack of Mathematical qualifications will really hold me back; will definitely look into Maths and Further Maths though.

I want to make it clear that i never intend to go for a Magic Circle Law firm, it just doesn't really appeal to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I definitely think you'll find it easier to get into compliance than risk, take a look at bank websites for descriptions of the different divisions and roles available.

When you say risk management I assume you mean legal risk right? Everyone I've met from legal risk has a professional background in law. Legal risk tends to be a pretty small area as well. Or were you thinking credit/market?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Yeah I definitely think you'll find it easier to get into compliance than risk, take a look at bank websites for descriptions of the different divisions and roles available.

When you say risk management I assume you mean legal risk right? Everyone I've met from legal risk has a professional background in law. Legal risk tends to be a pretty small area as well. Or were you thinking credit/market?

Yes, i was referring to legal risk. Thats good news.

ReputationRep:
    I found using the Valut industry guides particulary useful to gain an understanding of the industry. Additionally you could check out http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/ and read the FT.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea where I can find detailed info about valuation methods? Do u know what other analysis are used in M&A besides DCF, comps, accretion/dilution?

I have the vault guide to finance interviews, but it's quite basic, I think.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.