Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With the risk of sounding pretentious does it matter whether you got a degree from Leeds or King's when it comes to employment? I am currently at King's but do not like the course, and haven't found living in london particularly easy and therefore want to drop out. So far I've had the one offer from Leeds for next year and the University and life looks really good. However, I'm worried that if I go to Leeds my employability chances will be lower because King's is an 'internationally recognised' university or something like that. I once heard that below Oxford and Cambridge all universities are considered more or less the same by employers

What do you think? A degree from Leeds = same as a degree from King's in an employers eyes? /Should I even be worrying about this.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    On here it matters..

In employment, I would have thought most employers would look at the grade first, and then the university.

ReputationRep:
    Who knows?! To some employers it will matter, to others it won't but it's more important to enjoy your degree and if that means going to a another uni, then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    If it were between Coventry and Warwick then in that case it would matter. However between Leeds and Kings it really does not make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisModernLove)
    With the risk of sounding pretentious does it matter whether you got a degree from Leeds or King's when it comes to employment? I am currently at King's but do not like the course, and haven't found living in london particularly easy and therefore want to drop out. So far I've had the one offer from Leeds for next year and the University and life looks really good. However, I'm worried that if I go to Leeds my employability chances will be lower because King's is an 'internationally recognised' university or something like that. I once heard that below Oxford and Cambridge all universities are considered more or less the same by employers
    What do you think? A degree from Leeds = same as a degree from King's in an employers eyes? /Should I even be worrying about this.

Thanks!
    That's not true, particularly some professions such as Law (mc firms) or the Civil Service where university reputation is very important :no:

While employers won't, unlike TSR split hairs between number 22 and number 26 on the league table, there's a big difference between Durham/Imperial/LSE and the like and number 100 on the league table.

It's also important to remember that those at the more prestigious universities will be more targeted by employers, have the chance to make contacts etc, so their job prospects aren't affected only by how employers view them once they've applied for a job.

In answer to your question, if you really can't stand the course/environment at Kings then switch to Leeds, if you're sure you'll be happier there.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.