Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have applied for Keynes College as my first choice accomodation as it offers en-suite rooms and, quite frankly, is about all I can afford!

How bad is it? Infact, instead of giving me all the con's, can anybody offer any pro's to this accomodation?

Somebody told me it was full of 'urban, multi-cultural types', then somebody said it's **** and falling apart?

HELP

ReputationRep:
    I've not been in but the location is brilliant, you can literally fall out of bed into your lectures.

It's catered isn't it? Apparently you don't get a cooker, you have to be down for breakfast at about 8 or something, and you only get about £3 off a main meal that costs about £5-£6.

I'm just going by what a friend told me who is staying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I've not been in but the location is brilliant, you can literally fall out of bed into your lectures.

It's catered isn't it? Apparently you don't get a cooker, you have to be down for breakfast at about 8 or something, and you only get about £3 off a main meal that costs about £5-£6.

I'm just going by what a friend told me who is staying there.

Thank you! This sounds ridiculous but if I stay in Keynes accomodation...will my lectures be in that college bit. Like if I stayed somewhere else i.e. Rutherford would my lectures be there instead? I'm so stupid and confused haha.

Would you recommend Keynes? Does it look crap? I've already applied now, I'm such a **** haha xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    Thank you! This sounds ridiculous but if I stay in Keynes accomodation...will my lectures be in that college bit. Like if I stayed somewhere else i.e. Rutherford would my lectures be there instead? I'm so stupid and confused haha.

Would you recommend Keynes? Does it look crap? I've already applied now, I'm such a **** haha xxxxxxx
    Nope, your lectures will be held mainly where the relative school is based (for example the School of Psychology is based in Keynes), and some will be held in the cinema (central campus) and perhaps a small number in the other schools and buildings.

The accommodation, apparently it's nice inside but I've only ever seen the outside of the building from an angle and you can't really tell anything at all, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    your lectures will be held mainly where the relative school is based
    This is because academics are lazy. I should point out though that the Law School holds almost all its lectures in the Woolf college despite the fact that the Law School is based at Eliot College. The smaller law modules get moved around depending on the size but I've been put in the computing block for one of my law lectures.

Oh yeh reason for having to have all the main lectures in Woolf is cos there are insane numbers of law students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
    This is because academics are lazy. I should point out though that the Law School holds almost all its lectures in the Woolf college despite the fact that the Law School is based at Eliot College. The smaller law modules get moved around depending on the size but I've been put in the computing block for one of my law lectures.

Oh yeh reason for having to have all the main lectures in Woolf is cos there are insane numbers of law students.
    I guess that makes sense. Most of mine are actually in the cinema, probably because of the amount of students.

ReputationRep:
    Keynes has a really good location, as it is right in the middle of parkwood (where most people live) and the main campus. It has the nicest bar (k-bar) and is right next to the venue (the campus club). It is also next to the main bus stop (keynes bus stop).

The catering system at the Uni is quite poor. Breakfast is served till half 8 but is really good. You will have to walk to Rutherford for Breakfast aswell. You can only have breakfast or dinner. If you have dinner, you only get 2 quid off a meal which is normally 4.50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishfish)
    Keynes has a really good location, as it is right in the middle of parkwood (where most people live) and the main campus. It has the nicest bar (k-bar) and is right next to the venue (the campus club). It is also next to the main bus stop (keynes bus stop).

The catering system at the Uni is quite poor. Breakfast is served till half 8 but is really good. You will have to walk to Rutherford for Breakfast aswell. You can only have breakfast or dinner. If you have dinner, you only get 2 quid off a meal which is normally 4.50.
    Thank you, that's awesome & exactly the sort of answer I wanted xx

ReputationRep:
    Can I edit my accommo application if I email them now? I want an ensuite room!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't live in any of the colleges is my advice!
    Opt for Parkwood houses if you want cheap accom...you will have a much better social life.
    I lived in parkwood flats and I know of 2 ppl who dropped out from uni...the people that moved into thier rooms were from Keynes cos they said they hated it...1. because there was a flood in there a while back and 2. because i heard a rumor someone hanged themselves in thier room once...bt tbh it is really creepy in there abit like elliot accomodation!

It does have a really good location, but then again park wood is the place to be!

Parkwood houses :party:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.