Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    TSR's Gallery has recently seen a revitalising string of both prose and poetry competitions. Now that we're all well practised, I thought it might be a decent idea to collect together in a thread some competitions which I feel are worth a look at. A nudge in the ribs always seems helpful when thinking about entering - why not do it?

There are plenty of competitions out there, but often are only entered by those 'in the know'. If anyone has any I could add to the list, please do contribute them.

The Christopher Tower Poetry Competition

Theme: 'Promises' - No entry fee - First prize: £3000
    The closing date for this one is the 11th of February, so new entrants will have to be speedy. Only eligable for 16-18 year olds who are in full/ part time education.

'Words Magazine' hold multiple competitions throughout the year.
    Current theme: Children's stories - Entry fee: None - Prize: £100
    Current closing date: 30th April 2010

The Telegraph newspaper holds weekly travel writing competitions.
    Theme: 'Just back...' - 500 words max - Entry Fee: None - Prize: £200
    Weekly prizes, and there are plenty of example winners.

Got something to complain about?

Theme: A letter of complaint - Prize: £30 - No entry fee
    This competition is monthly. A good one for writers with a distinctive voice.

Coleridge Memorial Poetry Competiton
    Theme: Nature - Prize: £300 first place. Other prizes. - Entry Fee: £3 (for up to 3 poems)
    Bit of an unprofessional-looking site, but it seems legit. Winners announced in 2011, 2009 winners are viewable.

Had a 'historic' British holiday recently?
    First Prize: 7 day cruise, worth £7310 - 500 words max
    Closing date: 26th February. Soon, but if you think you could write this one, worth a shot.

The Bridport Prize - Poetry & Prose Competition

No theme - Prose: 5000 words max, Poetry: 42 lines max - Entry Fee: £7 - Prizes: £5000 for 1st place
    Famous one, this. I'd definitely encourage entry if you think you have something worth sending off for £7.
    Closing date: 30th June 2010.

Got a pet? Animal poetry competition.

Prize: Publication, and possibly £1000.
    The site has other competitions, poetry and prose, if you'd like to explore. No upfront cash prizes mentioned, but possible (small) royalties for publication.

'Winning Writers' Wergle Flomp Humour Poetry Contest
    Theme: Humorous poetry - First Prize: $1500 - Free entry
    This one is American, but don't let that put you off. Previous winners viewable. Closing date: 1st April 2010.

Disclaimer: Please read Terms and Conditions of each competition before entering. Some have rules about age limits (18+, for example) and many have specific formatting guidelines they would prefer you to abide by.

Good luck.

Please feel free to discuss anything you intend to enter, have entered, or just official competitions in general. Anyone out there ever entered, or even won a writing competition?

ReputationRep:
    Cor!

This is brilliant!

I've actually got two poetry competitions, but their deadlines just passed...

ReputationRep:
    (Someone posted this in the Literature forum.)

Useful list, DM.

It would be interesting if anyone who took part in a competition such as those listed posted how they did.

(p.s. I believe there was another thread you were going to be starting in here.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm entering the Bridport Prize this year (or at least hoping to, but my creativity is rather lacking at the moment...I've written two good starting paragraphs and then nothing...but never mind, have five months to try and get somewhere). £5000 first prize is a pretty good incentive to good writing though when you're about to face being a poor student. And if you win you get entered into the national short story competition (worth £15000) and the top so many get to meet with literary agents with a view to representing them. I might even enter a poem for it too if the right inspiration strikes me...

Can I also recommend 'The Writer's Bureau' short story competition http://www.writersbureau.com/competition/
    It's £1000 first prize, £400 second, £200 third, £100 fourth and several runner up prizes of £50 and you get published in some magazine and on their website if you win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    I told myself repeatedly that I'd enter last year, but the deadline just slipped past and I had nothing finished and enterable. I've never actually entered a real competition myself - but damn it, I want to give it a go. I think a lot of people have it in mind to try, but don't quite get to that stage.

Heidi; does that competition stop accepting entries at the end of December 2010? I can't find a closing date.

(Original post by MSB)
    Thanks for the heads up, I've added it to the list. I think I may have glanced past that one when I was looking for competitions myself a few days ago, but left it because I'm not eligable. The deadline is only a few days away, which is unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    Good thread. *Subscribes*

ReputationRep:
    Bookmarks. Might hurry and enter the first one before the 11th.

ReputationRep:
    Posting in here so I remember about it I'd like to enter one of these I think, if I have time and inspiration!

ReputationRep:
    Good thread, mothy. The Bridport prize is a good, albeit tough, competition. I made the shortlist for the poetry category last year which made me all smiley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    Good thread, mothy. The Bridport prize is a good, albeit tough, competition. I made the shortlist for the poetry category last year which made me all smiley.
    Wow, congratulations!

What was the poem?

EDIT: Thanks for sending it to me by PM. Just putting this here so people know I'm not talking to myself, although I tend to make a habit of it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This post does not say anything.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I won a national poetry competition when I was twelve. Since then, I have been terrified of entering anything, in case I do not win, which would confirm my suspicions that I have become generally more rubbish at thinking since then.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    The TLS Poetry Competition 2010

The deadline is April 9th, so two weeks time. It's £5 to enter, plus £3 for any additional poem, with a limit of five poems per entrant.

The prize is £1500 for first, £750 for second and £500 for first.

It looks quite intimidating, but it could be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Here are some I'm looking into...
    Non-fiction essay entitled 'Eat to live, Live to eat' (closes 30th July 2010)
    http://www.priorygroup.com/prioryryanmckayprize

Short story competition (closes 28th May 2010)
    http://www.branfordboaseaward.org.uk...hbwcstart.html

Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award(closes 31st July 2010)
    http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/cont...mpetitions/fyp

Wicked Young Writers Award (closes 31st July 2010)
    http://www.wickedyoungwriters.com/about_the_award.html

ReputationRep:
    Arvon Foundation: The Six Word Story

Come up with a six word story, e-mail it to Arvon and you could win an Arvon course. It's free to enter and closes on September 1st.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.