Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe that most non-rich people are just not good enough? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Media student)
    lool, what a lame thing to say, everyone wants to be rich, stop fooling yourself
    I don't.

I want a fairly decent home and a small family, and the means to support that family. I do not want to earn enough money to classify myself as rich.

Money is a means to an end, but the end is significantly devalued if you have a significant wealth of the means, as the comparative ease with which you can breeze through life is greater. Life is all about challenging yourself, bettering yourself, not improving your material wealth.

Don't assume that your narrow viewpoint can be applied to everyone. I'm telling you now - it can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.posteriori)
    Some people do get quite lucky or unlucky, accidentally landing legal problems or just managing to be at exactly the right place at exactly the right time to make a lot of money. I think this is only relevant in extreme cases, however, because, for the most part, only extremely lucky or unlucky events will have a lasting effect on someone's life. When people "just seem to fail," I am inclined to believe that they lack talent at whatever they are attempting to succeed at. Someone failing everything he does because of sheer bad luck bucks the laws of probability.
    spot on mate

ReputationRep:
    Thats complete rubbish. People who are not rich does not mean they are not talented. Some of the smartest people who ahve ever lived are not rich (Einstein for one). Theres no remote correlation between talent and wealth, anyone who thinks so just needs to be pointed in the direction of any reality TV star, prince of monarch.

ReputationRep:
    It simply means, you are not good enough to be rich, whatever that means:p:

saying "luck plays a big part" is just our excuse to be lazy
    You sound snobby and barely worth the calories I'm burning typing this but i'll give it a go.

"It's not what you know its who you know" plays a big part in people becoming rich. Happening to know someone who can help you get your foot in the door with some big CEO or a record company or something plays a big part and has no bearing on your talent whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I don't.

I want a fairly decent home and a small family, and the means to support that family. I do not want to earn enough money to classify myself as rich.

Money is a means to an end, but the end is significantly devalued if you have a significant wealth of the means, as the comparative ease with which you can breeze through life is greater. Life is all about challenging yourself, bettering yourself, not improving your material wealth.

Don't assume that your narrow viewpoint can be applied to everyone. I'm telling you now - it can't.
    Am sorry mate, but anyone who says to me, I dont want to be rich, just want a decent normal life, is just fooling himself

having a lot of money and being rich is part of human nature, a human desire you are born with, we all want a decent home and a family, even rich people do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    You sound snobby and barely worth the calories I'm burning typing this but i'll give it a go.

"It's not what you know its who you know" plays a big part in people becoming rich. Happening to know someone who can help you get your foot in the door with some big CEO or a record company or something plays a big part and has no bearing on your talent whatsoever.
    well it means, you have to work harder to get to know the right people, hanging around with chavs wont get you anywhere mate haha

ReputationRep:
    btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

tbh i would say the only ones who get where they are because of intelligence are businessmen, the others get there because they are good at what they do IE footballers get there because they are good at football, actors because they are good at acting and so on

now, im not saying they are all unintelligent because some of them are intelligent but some are down right stupid

and just because a person isnt rich doesnt mean they are lazy or unintelligent, my dad isnt rich but he works damn hard, has worked since he was 15 and is continuing to work even though hes past retirement age, hes very intelligent and i doubt some rich snob could do his job

i dont think the same as you cause i dont have my head stuck up my own ass :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No. This may be true for a small amount of people, but there are hard-working and skilled people who don't earn a lot.

My dad is smart. He got offers from Cambrige and Oxford. He has some kind of degree in Chemistry (I've never asked him what specifically). My mom is very skilled at her job and has won plenty of awards for it. We aren't rich. When the UK was in a better economic climate, my parents were earning just over what we needed to get by and live an average middle-class lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    well it means, you have to work harder to get to know the right people, hanging around with chavs wont get you anywhere mate haha
    How do explain people like Paris Hilton then? She was "just hard-working and talented enough" to be born into a rich family was she?

Im starting to have doubts as to whether you even know what "hard work" is.

ReputationRep:
    Am sorry mate, but anyone who says to me, I dont want to be rich, just want a decent normal life, is just fooling himself

having a lot of money and being rich is part of human nature, a human desire you are born with, we all want a decent home and a family, even rich people do
    No it isn't, my sentiments align with Apotic Cosmos, i know plenty of people who don't value material gain as a life driving imperative, of whom value contention of relative well being to enjoy greater fruits of life.

And it isn't human nature in the slightest, it's a notion imposed by a capitalist society.

ReputationRep:
    I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

To a certain extent this is true. But what about people who get a well paid job off daddy, or win a lot of money on the lotto. There are also alot of very hard working, intelligent people out there who sacrifice a well paid job for doing something they love, i.e teaching or charity work.

I think luck is also involved. To use a sports example, Chris Smalling has just signed for Man Utd. A couple years back he was playing non-league football, on maybe £250 per week. He gets spotted by Fulham, plays well this season and signs a deal which should sort him out financially for life, at Man Utd. If he played badly, or wasn't spotted by and taken on by Fulham he might still be nowhere now.

Some people work very hard to raise their kids, pay the bills and work their arse off just to keep a roof over your head, for example my parents. Got alot to thank them for for getting me to where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    your an idiot nuff said

ReputationRep:
    The OP is a RETARD....prob some teenager from a middle class family who envies ppl who are rich but cant because they havent got the talent, or know the right ppl........

ReputationRep:
    how do we define "rich" anyway??

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say intelligence has so much to do with it. I suppose it's a benefit, but I guess it's either down to a natural talent such as singing, painting etc.extremely good looking or hard working. I mean when I was born my parents couldn't afford to live on their own, so we lived for the first 2 years of my life with my grandparents, both of them had left school without a single O-level (). My parents are extremely hard working, which is why we can afford to have 2, 7-bedroomed houses without a mortgage, which is why we can afford to give our parrots their own bedroom with a 38 inch TV, which is why when I ask for a car I get it and the reason why I could afford to go off to Germany and take a 600€ language class. I wouldn't say that people who aren't rich "aren't good enough". Maybe their talents lay elsewhere, or maybe their ideal job does not make them so much money. I do not care about being rich, I would be quite happy as long as I earnt enough to get by and without having to worry about debts and such.

ReputationRep:
    I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

If we are talking about acquired wealth here, I broadly agree.
    I would say

1) Most people don't have the drive or ambition.
    2) Of those who have the ambition, most are not good enough.
    3) Of those who have the ambition AND are good enough, most are not lucky enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    I don't want to be rich. As long as I earn enough to be comfortable any extra money I earn will go to other people, charity, science etc. I'm just not as greedy as some people.

I'm gonna guess you're from a snotty upper middle class background where everything revolves around money?
    This.

ReputationRep:

NO
    stop projecting your desires on other people, if everyone wanted to become rich why are there buddhist monks who give up nearly everything and are reputadly some of the most content people alive

ReputationRep:
    Money is the middle man to short lived happiness, I bet I enjoy life more than you and will do even in 30 years if your a millionaire and I'm on minimum wage

ReputationRep:

Wrong - acquiring material wealth is part of a capitalist nature. Capitalism is a figment of the human condition, it is not the entirety of it.

I embrace capitalism to the extent that is necessary to function in society. I do not revel in having money, and nor do I want to revel in earning buckets of money.

Life is so, so much more than a flashy sports car, a nice suit and a job in the City. If you can't see that, then I genuinely feel sorry for you, and also for the world in having to put up with your rampant materialism.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.