The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't think intelligence has a great deal to do with wealth. Imo wealth comes about due to one or some of the following: luck, talent, greed, materialism (I don't consider being clever a talent). I lack all four, that's why I'm skint.
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

Being rich doesn't make you happy. In fact the opposite seems to be true.
Aphotic Cosmos
Wrong - acquiring material wealth is part of a capitalist nature. Capitalism is a figment of the human condition, it is not the entirety of it.

I embrace capitalism to the extent that is necessary to function in society. I do not revel in having money, and nor do I want to revel in earning buckets of money.

Life is so, so much more than a flashy sports car, a nice suit and a job in the City. If you can't see that, then I genuinely feel sorry for you, and also for the world in having to put up with your rampant materialism.

I wish I could believe you Mr Aphotic Cosmos, but I just find it difficult, because I know for a fact that If you were given the option of being rich or not, you will certainly pick being rich, maybe not to buy a flashy car or a big house, but to help others and support charity, sometimes I wish I was rich so that I can help others, its not always about fulfilling my desire for materialism
Reply 43
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

You seem like an idiot, and obviously have no idea about some of the situations some people are in.
What was the purpose of this thread?
Flying Scotsman
Being rich doesn't make you happy. In fact the opposite seems to be true.

being rich alone of course wouldn't make you happy, because you could be rich and blind, but it certainly helps, saying the opposite is true, is incorrect, because wealthy people would have thrown their wealth away if they weren't happy
becca-x
You seem like an idiot, and obviously have no idea about some of the situations some people are in.
What was the purpose of this thread?

I am sorry if I offended you Miss becca, its just my opinion:frown:
Media student
being rich alone of course wouldn't make you happy, because you could be rich and blind, but it certainly helps, saying the opposite is true, is incorrect, because wealthy people would have thrown their wealth away if they weren't happy

They do. At least according to one of today's telegraph stories:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/7190750/Millionaire-gives-away-fortune-which-made-him-miserable.html
Reply 47
Media student
I am sorry if I offended you Miss becca, its just my opinion:frown:

You didn't offend me Mr Media Student.
One thing I have noticed, is that rich people want to become even more richer, I mean wtf!!! it seems never enough, If I was given a 50million, I would have been a bit gutted that it wasnt a 100million, its a prove that humans are just evil

its not just me, ask yourself the same question, and you will know how greedy you are

thats why it never surprises me why people with billions of pounds still invest and work to make even more

Nah, he is just an attention seeker, I bet his got a few other accounts too:wink: , its never enough to be rich and unknown
linkdapink
I know this is going to be quite contested, but Jade Goody definatly wasn't as thick as she looked. She's the only Big Brother contestant that any of us remember (I can't think of any other that have been mildly sucessful except maybe Brian Dowling for a brief period). So although she wasn't book-smart, she was smart enough to get herself in the public eye and keep herself there to earn money (ok, the race thing was stupid)

No, jade goody wasn't smart enough to keep herself in the public eye. She has agents and PRs.
Media student
I wish I could believe you Mr Aphotic Cosmos, but I just find it difficult, because I know for a fact that If you were given the option of being rich or not, you will certainly pick being rich

No, I would not.

Do not assume to know my motivations.
Media student
lool, what a lame thing to say, everyone wants to be rich, stop fooling yourself

They might want other things more. Like I do have expensive taste and I'd be well able to spend it but I also want to get into a career that I'll probably earn £30k tops in. I work hard to get there as it's what interests me. That's more important. It's not to do with me not being intelligent enough.
Reply 53
i couldn't give a **** about money or being rich so long as i have a good time doing what i'm doing, does that make me not good enough?
Yeah, Paris Hilton is rich because she's so, so clever, intelligent and a hard-working person. :nothing:
Media student
Nah, he is just an attention seeker, I bet his got a few other accounts too:wink: , its never enough to be rich and unknown

To return to your original statement it is pretty damn hard to become rich out in the real world! Most people are rich becuase of inheritance I would wager. I myself am a trainee accountant with the original aspiration of going all the way to becoming a partner or financial director of a large company. Now after a few months I am completely disillusioned. Most will never make it even to management it would seem, let alone director or partner. We are just the puppets of the few people at the top who have sacrificed there lives to spend every working hour in the office. The only way to make it up there is to work weekends and evenings for the next 20 odd years, and then once you make it, it continues.. And business is extremely cut throat and ruthless, through it I have lost my faith in humanity. Capitalism has made people blinded by greed and it's not a pretty site to behold.
Aphotic Cosmos
No, I would not.

Do not assume to know my motivations.

whatever, its pointless talking to someone who denies the obvious
Flying Scotsman
To return to your original statement it is pretty damn hard to become rich out in the real world! Most people are rich becuase of inheritance I would wager. I myself am a trainee accountant with the original aspiration of going all the way to becoming a partner or financial director of a large company. Now after a few months I am completely disillusioned. Most will never make it even to management it would seem, let alone director or partner. We are just the puppets of the few people at the top who have sacrificed there lives to spend every working hour in the office. The only way to make it up there is to work weekends and evenings for the next 20 odd years, and then once you make it, it continues.. And business is extremely cut throat and ruthless, through it I have lost my faith in humanity. Capitalism has made people blinded by greed and it's not a pretty site to behold.

i assume you are a communist or a pro green economy?
Media student
i assume you are a communist or a pro green economy?

Neither. I just hate human greed. Capitalism is the best of a bad bunch.
you say that the poor are lazy because they don't want to get off their 'asses' and do something.

You will find that alot of people want to be rich so they will never have to work again and can enjoy a nice lifestyle without any worries and essentially live the life of leisure.

so saying that poor people are lazy is idiotic, as people aspire towards richness so that they can be lazy....

Latest