The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

its all down to luck.

many people are just happy to eat and watch city or rovers.
If you were born into it of course it's for free, doesn't mean their any more intelligent than someone from a working class family.
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

your upbringing, the people you surround yourself with, luck, opportunities, etc.. all of these play just as big of a role as intelligent, hard-working, etc.. trust me, I wish it was just down to what you seem to imply. that would be a fair world. but its not.

it would also make my achievements in life seem like I deserved them more than I do. but I know that its not the case
Reply 63
InconspicuousGuy
you say that the poor are lazy because they don't want to get off their 'asses' and do something.

You will find that alot of people want to be rich so they will never have to work again and can enjoy a nice lifestyle without any worries and essentially live the life of leisure.

so saying that poor people are lazy is idiotic, as people aspire towards richness so that they can be lazy....

QFT

I will quote a story

A few years ago, a very rich businessman decides to take a vacation to a small tropical island in the South Pacific. He has worked hard all his life and has decided that now is the time to enjoy the fruits of his labor. He is excited about visiting the island because he’s heard that there is incredible fishing there. He loved fishing as a young boy, but hasn’t gone in years because he has been so busy working to save for his retirement.

So on the first day, he has his breakfast and heads to the beach. It’s around 9:30 am. There he spots a fisherman coming in with a large bucket full of fish!

“How long did you fish for?” he asks. The fisherman looks at the businessman with a wide grin across his face and explains that the fishes for about three hours every day. The businessman then asks him why he returned so quickly.

“Don’t worry”, says the fisherman, “There’s still plenty of fish out there.”

Dumbfounded, the businessman asks the fisherman why he didn’t continue catching more fish. The fisherman patiently explains that what he caught is all he needs. “I’ll spend the rest of the day playing with my family, talking with my friends and maybe drinking a little wine. After that I’ll relax on the beach.”

Now the rich businessman figures he needs to teach this peasant fisherman a thing or two. So he explains to him that he should stay out all day and catch more fish. Then he could save up the extra money he makes and buy and even bigger boats to catch even more fish. The he could keep reinvesting his profits in even more boats and hire many other fisherman to work for him. If he works really hard, in 20 or 30 years he’ll be a very rich man indeed.

The businessman feels pleased that he’s helped teach this simple fellow how to become rich. Then the fisherman looks at the businessman with a puzzled look on his face and asks what he’ll do after he becomes very rich.

The businessman responds quickly “You can spend time with your family, talk with your friends, and maybe drink a little wine. Or you could just relax on the beach.”

Money is not a means of happiness for the fisherman as it isn't for many other people. Media Student should take a step back and think about what they want to do with money and realize that excessive wealth does not grant happiness but only gratification of wild desires.
Don't know about you guys, but I don't feel the need to work my ass off to be rich in later life... I'm quite happy working my 9-5, earning some decent cash, but having enough free time to enjoy the things in life I like doing, such as being in a band, going to gigs, seeing friends and just having a laugh.
Reply 65
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

John terry rich, becham rich, ndubz rich but they are all thick as ****, comb your local tesco and one of the people working the tills will be infintely more intelligent than them.

My ******* lecturers are not rich but they are intellectually superior to these people.

Being rich doesn't define who is better.

Better at what?

Better at football maybe, better at singing(if you can call it that) but better in general no.

Can any of the above build a house, no. can they fly a plane, no can they string sentences together no. so they are not better overall if they have some extreme flaws.

No one is better than someone else entirely unless you can do absoloutely everything they can do better than them then you are not better.

And money is just as much luck as it is anything else.

What if ibm decided to buy the op off bill gates rather than "rent" it off of him, he would have been paid 50k and still be working for them but they didnt and now hes one of the richest men on the planet.

Wealth has nothing to do with superiority unless you are talking about their ability to acquire wealth.
Reply 66
Media student
lool, what a lame thing to say, everyone wants to be rich, stop fooling yourself

I know a girl in my class and she said she doesn't want ot be rich, she is bright and could achieve it but she would rather have a family instead of a career.
Reply 67
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it?

Yes.

The end.
Reply 68
Media student
Am sorry mate, but anyone who says to me, I dont want to be rich, just want a decent normal life, is just fooling himself

having a lot of money and being rich is part of human nature, a human desire you are born with, we all want a decent home and a family, even rich people do

Don't say nature, it's human anture to want to better our lives, not everyone thinks money will better their lives some people have enough money and just want to do other things.

What did we want to acquire before money?

Most of us as long as we can live well will be happy being rich would be nice but i'm not willing to ignore the other aspects of my life for the sole purpose of acquiring currency.
Wahaaaay
I think luck plays quite a big part. Some people just seem to fail, no matter what they try. Saying "not good enough" is a bit too snobby though I think. Just coz someone aint rich don't mean they aint "good". Whatever that means....

This.
Reply 70
No, not for all although admittedly, yes for many.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Don't forget good looking, and good luck. Cassie and Cheryl Cole aren't the best of singers, but many men get hard ons just by looking at them so, being sexy seems to equal record deal in some cases.

When is Casie releasing a new album? I know she doesn't have the best voice, but some of her leaked tracks (Skydiver one of them) is really good.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. :o:
Reply 72
Media student
One thing I have noticed, is that rich people want to become even more richer, I mean wtf!!! it seems never enough, If I was given a 50million, I would have been a bit gutted that it wasnt a 100million, its a prove that humans are just evil

its not just me, ask yourself the same question, and you will know how greedy you are

thats why it never surprises me why people with billions of pounds still invest and work to make even more

Well based on my observation that the majority of multi millionaire rich people seem to be a bit thick(footballers etc) with your spelling skills you should one day become rich yourself.
Media student

Good fortune is so important, ie being born into a family that cares enough to try and motivate you to succeed in life, having money to begin with to pursue a good education. If you are born to a family that is poor and haven't succeeded you have no reason to believe that you can succeed as well, because you have no role models, noone showing you that normal people can acheive anything with hard work. This is why most of the time the poor stay poor and the rich get richer.
Reply 74
n important factor here is luck.

There are many people who just get lucky.
Reply 75
Wardy23
Jade Goodie wasn't intelligent, sexy or talented in any obvious way. She was rich. I know people who are far more talented or funny or intelligent than her who have much more ability to be rich or famous. They just don't want to. To suggest people who aren't rich aren't "good enough" itself shows a severe lack of intelligence in my opinion. And I don't think im alone in thinking that.

This a thousand times

Being rich doesnt make you a better person in any way, it just means you've got more money,
Zap Brannigan
I think that anyone who isn't me isn't good enough. Although I'm not sure what they're not good enough for, which you also seem to be vague on. Poor effort.

whats the matter, tent got your tongue?
Rainbow-Dream
When is Casie releasing a new album? I know she doesn't have the best voice, but some of her leaked tracks (Skydiver one of them) is really good.
Sorry for hijacking the thread. :o:

I dunno, you'll have to search. I still listen to Me and U and Long Way 2 Go, awesome songs :biggrin:
Libtolu
John terry rich, becham rich, ndubz rich but they are all thick as ****, comb your local tesco and one of the people working the tills will be infintely more intelligent than them.

My ******* lecturers are not rich but they are intellectually superior to these people.

Being rich doesn't define who is better.

Better at what?

Better at football maybe, better at singing(if you can call it that) but better in general no.

Can any of the above build a house, no. can they fly a plane, no can they string sentences together no. so they are not better overall if they have some extreme flaws.

No one is better than someone else entirely unless you can do absoloutely everything they can do better than them then you are not better.

And money is just as much luck as it is anything else.

What if ibm decided to buy the op off bill gates rather than "rent" it off of him, he would have been paid 50k and still be working for them but they didnt and now hes one of the richest men on the planet.

Wealth has nothing to do with superiority unless you are talking about their ability to acquire wealth.

you havent read my last lines have you? I didnt say its all about being intelligent or clever, John Terry and Michael Jackson have a quality and a natural skill, which made them deserve to be rich, its not just about businessmen, its about having something (skill or talent) that made them good enough to become rich, which me and alot of people lack
Reply 79
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Don't forget good looking, and good luck. Cassie and Cheryl Cole aren't the best of singers, but many men get hard ons just by looking at them so, being sexy seems to equal record deal in some cases.

Do you really think it's straight men who buy their records?

Latest