The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

damos92
OP does speak the truth for a significant amount of people. Why else would so many people do the lottery? They want the easy route to becoming rich. Maybe even the only route, but a route nevertheless. If someone is on here saying that if they were given a choice, get loads of money or stay in the current financial position and they claim that they wouldn't pick get loads of money, there a liar.

I have done the lottery about 4 times in 10 years as I had certain dreams but even then I knew that I wouldnt win.

I would rather be in a easy job earning a good amount than rich, if I ever won cash it would be enough to be comfortable i.e enough to buy a house and say a few grand a year for life that way I could support myself and a potential family on a low wage.

When my brother was 19 he was offered 2 differrent recording contracts and another as a backing dancer but he rejected as he wanted to live his life and just met a girl he stayed with for 6 years until she died and had a kid with.

He just wanted to live his life first before settling down.
Afrotortina
hmmmm... Jordan is so inspirational, she's definitely good enough to be richer than me... if only I was like her.

To be honest I think Jordon is incredibly smart, used her looks firstly to earn some money, then jumped on every bandwagon going, books, perfume, lingere, clothing line, music, magazine deals, wedding deals, reality tv... Yes the public hate her at the moment but they keep buying £3 magazines out of their mininum wage pay to know what may or may not be going on in her life.

However all that said, I see what you mean. It takes nothing to be come famous these days. People used to say "When I grow up I want to be a famous footballer" now they just want to be famous.

I think the people who start from stratch and become rich have done well for themselves. If you're born rich then it's just luck.
They can be prty annoying. Very uppity sometimes. Wah wah wah wah wah we want rights
Reply 123
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

Not everyone can be rich or have good jobs, the economy just wouldn't function. For every rich person their are (and has to be) many extremely poor people.

Lack of jobs, opportunity and so on. I must say I find your post very elitist or nieve view with no real perspective of the world.

Btw has anyone mentioned the fact the wealthiest and most successful corporations are those that rely on exploitation of the poor in the world, and rob their resources. Still they exploit their entire workforce until the executive level. The same is true for many wealthy people, they are cold, calculated and willing to do anything to progress...an attitude similar in successful business men.

The fact of the matter is even if someone has the intelligence, drive etc they may not want to barge people out of the way and then backstab anyone in a position they want, on top of low moral standards which enables them to do high paying jobs in business effectively.

I want to make a point that people are successful and have high moral standards, just that those similar are likely to be swept aside by the above and have to settle for less.

Its the poor that allow for the rich to be rich, and its the 3rd world that allows the average person in the west to live comfortably.

The above poster concerning the supply and demand of a skill is also important, but dependent on the definition of Rich.
Reply 124
Media student
lool, what a lame thing to say, everyone wants to be rich, stop fooling yourself

No everyone really doesn't. If that were the case, everyone would strive to be rich and that simply isn't the case. The desire to be rich is similar to the desire to be famous. It has its perks but also its downsides and for some people, the negative outweighs the positive. What do you consider to be rich newayz?
Reply 125
Sorry if someone sad this already, but the more money you have, the more your expectations & desires will increase - so no, there's no actual increase in happiness by having more of anything, you'll just keep wanting more until you're after something entirely unattainable anyway.
Media student
Medicine is just away for people to secure a a comfortable income, few people came out rich after doing Medicine, because they put in an extra effort to open their own practice or clinic etc basically something more than just going to the hospital treating people and receiving a cheque at the end of the month

How can you not consider that maybe people do not just desire material wealth?
Reply 127
Rich people are better at a lot of things than poor poeple in general yes. But I think its easier to judge by increase of wealth than by actual wealth.
Gremlins
Nope. There's almost no correlation between IQ and earnings and people can do incredibly hard work (to the extent that 'hard' is a quantitative measurement) for very little pay, e.g. farmers.

Yuhuh, it's because they have a skill which they can sell, which happens to be either in very low supply or very high demand. How you can then go on to making judgements about whether these people are better than people who don't have highly marketable skills is beyond me.

It all depends on your definition of "better". Mozart's skills were not as marketable as Shakira's skills (i.e. Shakira's ass). Who's ..."better"? dunno tbh. I enjoy Shakira's ass as much as I enjoy Mozart's Requiem.
Reply 129
acedei
Btw has anyone mentioned the fact the wealthiest and most successful corporations are those that rely on exploitation of the poor in the world, and rob their resources. Still they exploit their entire workforce until the executive level. The same is true for many wealthy people, they are cold, calculated and willing to do anything to progress...an attitude similar in successful business men.

Got too disagree with you there. Many successful people (espsecially businessmen) who push people out the way and seems cold and calculated do it because they want to actually get stuff done and make progress for the whole company rarely for personal gain (or atleast that is rarely their top priority). The idea that they all do it for personal profit and prestige isn't actually true most of the time.

I'm currently working in an engineering company doing various tasks for executives and managers in the company and none of them are motivated my personal gain. Sure loads of them are ******** who will bully people into getting what they want but none of them do it just to be top dog for its own sake they all do it because they like getting people going and getting stuff done and hitting their targets. They all think they are doing what is best for the company and best for progress in the company.

And businessmen well actually a lot of them think they are supplying good products at good prices and are helping the community in doing so. Very few successful businessmen do it just for the money.
Media student
It simply means, you are not good enough to be rich, whatever that means:p:

saying "luck plays a big part" is just our excuse to be lazy:smile:

This thread is ironic, considering your user name.
Reply 131
quads1992
This thread is ironic, considering your user name.

Brilliant :biggrin:
a.posteriori

This thread, as with any analysis of human behavior, relies on generalizations. The fact that it does not describe all people does not invalidate it.

Analysis of human behaviour? You what? :eyeball: He's hardly conducting PhD level research here. Nice failed attempt at weak patronism though.

Also fails to take into account contestability of markets, power of brand loyalty in regards to big businesses taking customers away from smaller newer companies, ease of securing investment, start up costs, monopolies and oligopolies. A lot of intelligent hard working people who have gone into entrepreneurship (which is what the OP largely appears to be basing his opinion on whos "good enough" to be rich or not) have failed for a multitude of reasons, market collapses, lack of outside investment, local monopolies using predatory pricing to run them out of business e.t.c

Unless this guy substantiates his argument, I shall continue to refute his suggestions.
romeosbitch
To be honest I think Jordon is incredibly smart, used her looks firstly to earn some money, then jumped on every bandwagon going, books, perfume, lingere, clothing line, music, magazine deals, wedding deals, reality tv... Yes the public hate her at the moment but they keep buying £3 magazines out of their mininum wage pay to know what may or may not be going on in her life.

However all that said, I see what you mean. It takes nothing to be come famous these days. People used to say "When I grow up I want to be a famous footballer" now they just want to be famous.

I think the people who start from stratch and become rich have done well for themselves. If you're born rich then it's just luck.

She's also voted one of the most hated women in Britain and I think when she divorced Peter Andre, she should have been with her children, rather than getting drunk everyday on holiday. Values are way more important to me than money.
Afrotortina
She's also voted one of the most hated women in Britain and I think when she divorced Peter Andre, she should have been with her children, rather than getting drunk everyday on holiday. Values are way more important to me than money.

I don't know anything about her divorce so I can't say whether I agree with you on that one. But a few years ago Katie (she was Katie then, now everyone hates her she is Jordan again) was one of Britain's sweehearts, much like Cheryl Cole is now. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Reply 135
Depends on the person, someone people just get wealth thrust upon them through no cause of thier own. I.e the landed gentry, people who inherit wealth, models/singers who do very little to earn their money.

But then some businessmen who have built themselves up from scratch are definitely where they are today because they are more intelligent/have more motivation than others. Good examples would be the likes of Richard Branson or the Dragons from Dragon's Den, all of whom are self made multi-millionaires and in the case of Branson billionaire.

Latest