Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi people I posted this on exams... Doh.

just found this site www.nec.ac.uk offering gcse's and a levels distance learning, something I am considering being an older git. Do any of you have any experience of NEC with gcse's and if so was it worth it, are their gcse's worth the same as any other college?

ReputationRep:
    I did AS levels with them. I think if you're motivated and good at planning your time it an be okay (unlike me-although I got mostly okay module grades, just messed up the last ones because I ran out of time to study them...)-but they send you huge folders which are really quite hard to work through.

I would imagine it wouldn't be that bad with GCSEs. And of course they're 'worth the same' as other colleges; a GCSE is a GCSE, they all use the same exam boards (NEC use AQA mostly I think).

You do have to find somewhere to sit your exams yourself though (or they have an arrangement with a school in Cambridge if you can't find an exam centre to take you as an external candidate).

Edit: agree with below post too though. Look at the OU. They have loads of courses, start you off at the beginning and get you into complicated stuff really fast. They also have 'openings' courses to give you short introductions to subjects to help you get started; you can work towards a degree with them or aim for 60-120 point level 1 which is usually enough to get you into a proper uni if that's your aim.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest if you are older and are looking to get back into education that you are better to have a look at courses with the Open University.
    A levels and Gcse's won't really be of much help to you as a mature student. Even if you are not doing it to further your career and are just doing it to learn something new the OU offers a much wider range of choices and you can do it in as little or as much time as you like via distance learning and you could even get a degree at the end and they have foundation courses so that you don't even have to have A levels to be able to start!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.