The Student Room Group
Hey :smile:
I always stay at the farm when i go lambing, cos it's quite a long way away, but it's worth it cos it's a big place and theres always plenty happening. Lots of larger farms are used to having workers stay, and will be happy to put you up in exchange for free labour!

Have you done any work experience at a large animal vets? Because you could ask them which local farms are big enough to take people, or even ask them to recommend you to their farmers. All my lambing placements i've heard about through friends of friends, so I'd advise asking around. Just make sure your entire town knows you want to be a vet, so they come to you when they need a hand!

If not, theres always the yellow pages. If you call 50 farms and 1 says yes then the day was still a success! :smile:

Good luck x
Reply 2
Try things like the farmers weekly and putting adverts in your local farm shops etc :yep:
Reply 3
Lady_Pendragon
Hey :smile:
I always stay at the farm when i go lambing, cos it's quite a long way away, but it's worth it cos it's a big place and theres always plenty happening. Lots of larger farms are used to having workers stay, and will be happy to put you up in exchange for free labour!

Have you done any work experience at a large animal vets? Because you could ask them which local farms are big enough to take people, or even ask them to recommend you to their farmers. All my lambing placements i've heard about through friends of friends, so I'd advise asking around. Just make sure your entire town knows you want to be a vet, so they come to you when they need a hand!

If not, theres always the yellow pages. If you call 50 farms and 1 says yes then the day was still a success! :smile:

Good luck x

do you honestly have lots of farms in your yellow pages? theres none in mine.
Reply 4
I would reccommend asking any vets you know, also ask any vetty animaly people you know and fellow potential vet stundents. It is surprising how much you can find.
Annaconda
do you honestly have lots of farms in your yellow pages? theres none in mine.

Lol ye i think i mean the phone book, not the yellow pages :smile:
Try posting in the farmers weekly forum too. i got a contact from there that even though was already full gave me another farmer's number and i just sorted out a week and a half lambing in 2 weeks time woo :biggrin: finally :biggrin:
Where do you live? if any of us live near we could easily give you a contact!!
Does anyone know any dairy or pig farms on the outskirts of london or near Aberystwyth in Wales? thanks
Reply 9
Woah, this really scared me when I read it. It was as if you'd posted that for me. I mean, noone, noone, knows where Aberystwyth is! Some people I talk to over the internet don't even know where Wales is! I live near Aberystwyth & I live on a farm. There are absolutely loads of farms around here. A lot are sheep farms but there are a fair number of dairy farms too, although nearly no pig farms.
oh cool! Do you happen to have any contacts with any dairy farms nearby?
Reply 11
Hey

I'm also looking for lambing work to start ASAP, can travel anywhere, can camp anywhere, pay preferred but unpaid also ok.

I've only got until March 11th when I go to Norway for a placement in a vet clinic there hopefully for several months.

I'm 26, male, 2 weeks in a vet clinic so far, very enthusiastic and quick to learn but no previous lambing experience.

I'm obviously looking lots of ways but please contact me if you're still looking for a lambing student.

Thanks!
Reply 12
Spooks - I can't really help you by giving details for individual farms but I would say that if you come out here to Aberystwyth & have a look around then you should have little trouble finding a place where you can get work. If not around Aber, try going further south. Once you get out of the towns & out into the sticks, there are lots of farms spread around & probably some are hoping for some relief work.
Jsrbrunty
Spooks - I can't really help you by giving details for individual farms but I would say that if you come out here to Aberystwyth & have a look around then you should have little trouble finding a place where you can get work. If not around Aber, try going further south. Once you get out of the towns & out into the sticks, there are lots of farms spread around & probably some are hoping for some relief work.

Thanks :smile: I'm coming out there in just over a week for my lambing so hopefully that farmer will know somebody and i can sort something out :biggrin:
Reply 14
Good luck! If you don't mind my asking, what's the name of the farmer you're working for on the lambing? Just wondering if by some stupidly lucky coincidence I might know him/her... :P
Thanks, he's called Richard Tudor about 5 miles south of Aber....

Latest

Trending

Trending