Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which universities put alot of weight on your gcse results, as in, they really like alot of A*s and A's? I got A*AAAAAABBC at GCSE, which I thought was really good until I started hearing about universities that like an insane number of A*s, the highest someone at my school got was 3, never mind 6 or 7. If I know them then I can avoid them, and not waste a choice next year
    PS. I already know Durham likes lots of them.

ReputationRep:
    The top few ones, like Cambridge of Oxford will look at your GCSE's. Also, if you're looking to do a course in Medicine then quite a few universities ask for the majority of your GCSE's to be As and A*s.

ReputationRep:
    I have similar GCSEs to you - the ones I have offers from are safe, I guess. I heard that Edinburgh and Durham were GCSE Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    If your school isn't that great (what is the % A* - C pass rate? It doesn't sound that great if the highest was 3 A*) then the universities may take this into account. For example, Cambridge has the Cambridge Special Access Sceme for if your school was bad etc, which can explain your "lower" grades. But even if your school was ok, it may not matter too much; it really depends on the subject at the uni. For example, it appears that LSE want 7A* (I think) for Economics, whereas for other subjects people get in with much lower.

ReputationRep:
    Only the top top unis (Oxbridge LSE etc) will have an issue with such grades as yours OP. For most others A Level predictions (and AS grades) are waaaay more important. Your grades are good, so they wouldn't disadvantage you unless you were going for the likes of LSE, Oxbridge etc. Of course, even they will take into account your school's average attainment (which sounds poor from what you said), so they will bear in mind you're from a 'bad' school.

ReputationRep:
    Lse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theother2205)
    Which universities put alot of weight on your gcse results, as in, they really like alot of A*s and A's? I got A*AAAAAABBC at GCSE, which I thought was really good until I started hearing about universities that like an insane number of A*s, the highest someone at my school got was 3, never mind 6 or 7. If I know them then I can avoid them, and not waste a choice next year
    PS. I already know Durham likes lots of them.
    Durham use a GCSE modifier for most courses, which basically means you get a score based on on your GCSEs compared to the school you went to. See here for more information.

The only course which specifically requests a high number of A* is the History department.

ReputationRep:
    I can only regurgitate rumour spread on this site, sadly; LSE, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh and although Cambridge and Oxford do as well, it is to a lesser extent with emphasis placed on interview and AS modules instead.

ReputationRep:
    I heard LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    what is the % A* - C pass rate? It doesn't sound that great if the highest was 3 A*.
    Actually I think the aim in my school was to get as people as many C's as possible, our year broke the school record by alot with our 5A*-C pass rate, it was 67%. We did have a few people go away with 0-1 GSCE's all together, but most people managed to get C or B's. Our years the exception though, next year it'll probably drop again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Durham use a GCSE modifier for most courses, which basically means you get a score based on on your GCSEs compared to the school you went to. See here for more information.

The only course which specifically requests a high number of A* is the History department.
    Strange how that works, I'm actually considering doing History for degree (still not definite though) which is why I know to avoid that one for History But thanks for the link, I do quite like the look of Durham

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.