Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

since I came to London to do my A levels I've always had it clear that I wanted to to go Cambridge University. Unfortunately, my AS results (AEECC if you must know) were not favourable to my choice despite the fact that I've heard stories about students with grades lower than a tripple A going on to Cambridge afterwards.

Anyway...today this classmate was telling me that she wasn't going to be in tomorrow because she was going to the Open Day for those going to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at Cambridge. I envied her so much I almost lost my mind! I kept thinking that it could have been me, and it was all too much to bear. PPS is also the course I would have applied for. She's already had her interviews and she's been accepted.
    My only option would be to reject all 5 offers I've recieved, take a gap year and retake all my AS and A2 subjects. I would do anything in order to go there, but even to me this sounds like a risky decision and I'm afraid of how my dad and others would react.
    I'm in desperate need of some advice about what to do and I don't know who to turn to. All my teachers last year told me it would be impossible with my grades, it really got me down.

For some extra information, here's my UCAS:

Leicester University: Conditional offer, ABB
    Kent University: Conditional offer, ABB
    Brunel University: Conditional offer, 350 tariff points.
    Nottingham Trent University: Conditional offer, 280 tariff points.
    Buckinghamshire New University: Conditional offer, 240 tariff points.

I didn't take GSCE's because I was living in spain before, but I got A's in both English and Maths.

Anyway, please keep it neat, no insults because I already know how terrible my grades are.

Thanks. Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    Retake, it's best in the long run imagine how happy you'd be at cambridge and how you'd be permanatly disatisfied with your situation if you went anywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a risk, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you get your final grades. If you get A*AA, re-apply?
    I'm assuming here that you can still reject all offers in August, not sure if that is The Truth.

BTW, if you need a gap year to retake to get your grades up, they will not accept you (unless maybe if you have extenuating circumstances). You must normally achieve the grades within 2 years, so all retakes must be within these two years.

There are probably exceptions to this, but if you don't have extenuating circumstances, I think it is very very unlikely that they would make an exception in your case. They have enough applicants who get the grades in two years.

ReputationRep:
    You could retake, but then even if you get all A's, that would give you the interview, there is no guarantee that you would get in, so imo sounds risky.

Also, Having 3 Es is actually really low, so you should also consider how far you could realistically achieve straight As if you retake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Wait until you get your final grades. If you get A*AA, re-apply?
    I'm assuming here that you can still reject all offers in August, not sure if that is The Truth.
    No, i need to make my decision by May, that's the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's no consolation if you really want to go to Cambridge, but I got rejected too and went to Loughborough. And honestly? I'm glad they did reject me now.

I always thought I'd be more comfortable at Lufbra but could hardly have turned down an offer from Cambridge (though I did have to from Imperial). So if you know Cambridge is where you want to be then maybe you should try again. But I'm not sure they'd even accept you if you did all resits like that.

Otherwise maybe think long and hard about what you want from a uni. Maybe one of the others wouldn't be too bad.

Regardless, chin up

ReputationRep:
    How hard did you work for the AEECC?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, well done on all the offers you do have! I'm thinking you'd have to talk to your teachers, they could assess the situation better. If you really do have your heart set on Cambridge, and you could see yourself having a worthwhile experience only there, then go for it, if possible. However, you may have to see what their policy is on retake candidates, some unis are very reluctant to take on students who've taken extra time out to resit their exams unless they come out with outstanding grades. Good luck with it all though .

ReputationRep:
    Let it go.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, it's not that I got rejected, because I didn't apply there in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you get two Es?
    A lot of applicants with straight As and amazing UMS marks get rejected every year from Cambridge. I think it'd be best to let go of the dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aura1947)
    How hard did you work for the AEECC?
    Not as hard as I should have to be honest. I had come from a different country so I didn't know how the system here works. I was quite a good student before, little did I know I would have to slave away in order to get A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    No - in August, you can still tell the place that accepts you that you wont be taking your offer. Then, at least, it means someone who didn't quite make the offer can have your place. So relax, you have a long time to think about it.

Even if you get the right grades, it's a huge gamble. It'll mean that you can apply to other high class universities where you'll most likely be equally as happy as Cambridge. If you don't want to go to the places you have offers, then you may as well go into the next cycle, but don't expect Cambridge to throw an offer at you just because you already have your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yes (I think), you will sign some sort of contract by firming a choice by May, but I think you can still get out of it. You might have to pay a fine but I think it must be possible. I doubt they would want to force you to go to university against your will.

You could also ask your firm choice if they normally offer places in clearing; in that case you could reject your offers now, wait until August, and if you don't get A*AA, go into clearing and still get an offer for a place you are holding now.

That is risky though, seeing as applications are rising...

ReputationRep:
    It's not worth the hassle. And I really don't think they'd accept you anyway cos all other applicants will have achieved the same/better grades but in 2 years rather than 3.

You'll only waste a year of your life for nothing. I'm sorry to say this but you need to wake up: even if you are an A-student, when you mess up to get ACCEE without extenuating circumstances they almost certainly won't see you as worthy of an offer even with retakes.

ReputationRep:
    You ain't going.

ReputationRep:
    Not as hard as I should have to be honest. I had come from a different country so I didn't know how the system here works. I was quite a good student before, little did I know I would have to slave away in order to get A's.
    You understand it'd be even harder at Cambridge right? Students are given a very hefty workload and if your struggling with the amount at A level perhaps Cambridge isn't the place for you.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should probably just go to one of the Universities that have given you an offer, as someone has already said, people who get AAA in two years instead of three will probably be considered before you, sorry.
    If you wanted to go to Cambridge so much, why didn't you apply?
    Anyway, I hope you're happy wherever you end up.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably have to be a bit mean here and say let it go. Cambridge very much dislike students who've had to retake, so your chances of getting in even if you took a gap year, retook and got A*A*A* may be even lower than now.

Edit: If you say that to get A's you'd have had to 'slave away', then perhaps Cambridge wouldn't be right for you anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.