Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomtomtom910)
    You understand it'd be even harder at Cambridge right? Students are given a very hefty workload and if your struggling with the amount at A level perhaps Cambridge isn't the place for you.
    yes i do realise it's a large amount of work, you're not the first one to tell me that.
    I'm full of doubts about it though, I don't even know whether or not I'm what you'd call a good student. I certainly used to be, but now I'm losing it I feel so disappointed with myself.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Given the competition, it's unlikely you'll get in. Most applicants will have achieved the required grades or better within 2 years. There are loads of other fantastic universities out there and I'm sure that there are a few more that will suit you. If you do well at another uni, you could always apply for a post grad course at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Not as hard as I should have to be honest. I had come from a different country so I didn't know how the system here works. I was quite a good student before, little did I know I would have to slave away in order to get A's.
    If you have to slave away just to get A's then cambridge probably isn't for you. You have 5 offers from good unis, pick the one out of them you like most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Given the competition, it's unlikely you'll get in. Most applicants will have achieved the required grades or better within 2 years. There are loads of other fantastic universities out there and I'm sure that there are a few more that will suit you. If you do well at another uni, you could always apply for a post grad course at Cambridge.
    I was thinking about a postgrad too.

But surely they'd admire the sacrifice I made, given the circumstances? Doesn't it show how much I want to go there?

ReputationRep:
    Id say it is risky as most universities are capping places and cutting spending next year so it will be even more diffucult to get into a good university, let alone cambridge. Im all for following your dreams but one must be realistic. You must realise thats getting into oxbridge is more than just about getting 3 A's. I applied to study History with 4 A grades at AS and a A* AA prediction at a level - (A* in history) and was rejected without interview. And tbh even if you get to interview - it really can come down to luck in terms of whose interviewing you and the questions they ask...

ReputationRep:
    No, i need to make my decision by May, that's the deadline.
    You can always ask to be released from your place after results day, they can't force you to go... although keep in mind that if you do this to them they might be reluctant to give you an offer the second time round.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge don't like resit applicants. It's not worth the future disappointment. And with an AEECC, did you really work that hard?

ReputationRep:
    But surely they'd admire the sacrifice I made, given the circumstances? Doesn't it show how much I want to go there?
    Why do you want to go there though? For the name, or to make the most of a subject you are interested in? Its all about academics, its a university that wants naturally hard-working and incredibly intelligent people. I just think you have set yourself this goal without really thinking about it tbh, or else you would have realised how hard you'd've needed to work long ago.

ReputationRep:
    Ask yourself why you want to be at Cambridge. Is it for the prestige or the course?

The course should always come before the prestige. Are you gaining much more by studying your course at Cambridge instead of elsewhere?

Have you visited any of the universities on your list? If you really like one of them and can see yourself settling in, choose that one and walk away from Cambridge. Don't look back.

Your life will turn out no differently.

ReputationRep:
    Retake your AS exams this summer? Get straight A's. Then if you do, decline your firm choice and take a year out, re-applying with Cambridge as one of your choices. Duh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Why do you want to go there though? For the name, or to make the most of a subject you are interested in? Its all about academics, its a university that wants naturally hard-working and incredibly intelligent people. I just think you have set yourself this goal without really thinking about it tbh, or else you would have realised how hard you'd've needed to work long ago.
    To make the most of the subject I'm interested in. PPS sounded like a really good course, and I went to visit Cambridge individually, the place is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that healthy to be so obsessed with one place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    I don't think it's that healthy to be so obsessed with one place.
    really? thanks for the revelation.

ReputationRep:
    Not as hard as I should have to be honest. I had come from a different country so I didn't know how the system here works. I was quite a good student before, little did I know I would have to slave away in order to get A's.
    This post demonstrates that you'd be wasting your time applying to Cambridge.

1) There is no way in hell you couldn't have realised how hard you had to work. Why? Because if you had been working throughout the year, you would have known that whatever effort you're putting in is no where near enough to get an A. If you had gone through mark schemes, examiners reports, sample essays, teacher comments you would have known easily. Which to me implies that you weren't doing your homework or revising much during the year and therefore you're very unsuitable for Cambridge. I'm not saying that you're not clever enough, I'm saying that you're not suited for it.

2) If you "really, REALLY" wanted to go to Cambridge, you would have worked for it. End of story. What you really want is the Cambridge tag behind you, but you don't seem to realise all the other things that come with it.

I will sum up my post by saying that it's not about getting into Cambridge; it's also about succeeding when you get there and, although I don't know you at all, judging by what you've written here, I can't imagine that you'd do well there.

ReputationRep:
    This is not an excuse. People don't slave away to get A grades. People just work efficiently. People work and make sure they are on track. People work and make sure their progress at college/IV form is consistent. This isn't slaving away. this is dilligence. If you hadn't worked as hard as you should have then isn't this the indication that perhaps the alarm bells were ringing? That perhaps you weren't going to make the cut? This is indicated with the two Es you got at AS and even the Cs you got at AS. An E IMHO means you were struggling with the subject let alone on target for an A or a B

I'm full of doubts about it though, I don't even know whether or not I'm what you'd call a good student.
    You don't have to make it to Cambridge to be a good student. Leicester is full of brilliantly clever students.

ReputationRep:
    really? thanks for the revelation.
    At least you have a good attitude though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    This post demonstrates that you'd be wasting your time applying to Cambridge.

1) There is no way in hell you couldn't have realised how hard you had to work, unless you had very, very bad teachers and/or didn't do science/language based courses. Why? Because if you had been working throughout the year, you would have known that whatever effort you're putting in is no where near enough to get an A. Which to me implies that you weren't doing your homework or revising much during the year and therefore you're very unsuitable for Cambridge. I'm not saying that you're not clever enough, I'm saying that you're not suited for it.

2) If you "really, REALLY" wanted to go to Cambridge, you would have worked for it. End of story. What you really want is the Cambridge tag behind you, but you don't seem to realise all the other things that come with it.

I will sum up my post by saying that it's not about getting into Cambridge; it's also about succeeding when you get there and, although I don't know you at all, judging by what you've written here, I can't imagine that you'd do well there.
    Can I just point out that I went to a really bad state school, so it was never really that hard for me to achieve an A grade over there. The fact that it was in another country also means that there was very little talk about universities like Oxbridge because nobody was expected to go onto university or study abroad. So my AS grades are by no means a reflection of my true academic abilities.
    I don't want Cambridge to tag behind me, I want to earn a place there through hard work, and prove that I can do better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    At least you have a good attitude though.
    ditto.

ReputationRep:
    OK firstly, they don't really care how much you want to go there if you can't get the grades. They're not going to "admire" narrow-minded desperation.

Secondly, you do not need to slave away to get As at A Level. They are not that hard. If you DO have to work slavishly for As in a subject, you shouldn't be at Cambridge. Many, many more people get straight As every year than can go to Cambridge, many of whom will not have attained the 90%+ which Cambridge prefers. Being able to get As, no matter what As they are, is not an ability sufficient to entitle you to a Cambridge place. It's one of the best universities in the world ffs.

Forget it.

As for the thing about going to a really bad state school in another country, I don't know how much worse your state schools and pre-advanced qualifications are but they can't be that much worse than ours and GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Think about very carefully whether you want to go to Cambridge so much that yo would put your life on the line. Remember, an excellent candidate can be found in any university in any part of the world. You don't need to go to Cambridge to show that you are of the privelliged few. If you are extremely bright then you would also look at other factors than the prestige of the university.

Advantages of taking a gap year

1. If you do get the grades the next year roun you gould be accepted or there might be other great opportunities that arise

2. Re-doing your a-levels to get higher grades means that you can keep these grades with you for the rest of your life (e.g. job, confidence, not being odd-one-out from firends).

Disadvantages of taking gap year:

1. There's more to life then education - why waste a year of your life?
    2. Increasing competition in following years with limited spaces and more applicants.
    3. A-levels ma not be enough- my friend was predicted 6A*'S for a-level and got rejected after getting pooled from cambridge- could it happen to you?

whatever you do keep happy

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.