Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    OK firstly, they don't really care how much you want to go there if you can't get the grades. They're not going to "admire" narrow-minded desperation.

Secondly, you do not need to slave away to get As at A Level. They are not that hard. If you DO have to work slavishly for As in a subject, you shouldn't be at Cambridge. Many, many more people get straight As every year than can go to Cambridge, many of whom will not have attained the 90%+ which Cambridge prefers. Being able to get As, no matter what As they are, is not an ability sufficient to entitle you to a Cambridge place. It's one of the best universities in the world ffs.

Forget it.
    no need to be rude.

i dont know how you can say that A levels are not hard tbh. Anyone who pretends that they don't have to work hard to achieve A's is a liar in my opinion. You can't just lay back, wait until the exams and get A* A A, no matter how intelligent you are. you still have to put in the hours.

ReputationRep:
    Forget it.
    Hundreds of kids get 4As at the first time of asking and get rejected. Even then they just get you invited to interview. Be aware that Cambridge insist on seeing all your module marks so your resits won't hide your dismal results first time. Furthermore next year they likely will be asking for A*A*A if not A*A*A* and I don't think you're capable of such success given your scores.

ReputationRep:
    Dont give up just yet, the same thing happened to me in my first year of college, it was all my fault though, I did not work and ended up with BCDU at AS.

I didnt want to do a load of resists so I just redid the year and ended up with AAB at A level, went to UCL and got a 2.1. Granted UCL isnt Cambridge but its still up there with the best.

Its doable, if you really want Cambridge you should do them again and dont mention the first year, write it off and start again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Hi,

since I came to London to do my A levels I've always had it clear that I wanted to to go Cambridge University. Unfortunately, my AS results (AEECC if you must know) were not favourable to my choice despite the fact that I've heard stories about students with grades lower than a tripple A going on to Cambridge afterwards.

Anyway...today this classmate was telling me that she wasn't going to be in tomorrow because she was going to the Open Day for those going to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at Cambridge. I envied her so much I almost lost my mind! I kept thinking that it could have been me, and it was all too much to bear. PPS is also the course I would have applied for. She's already had her interviews and she's been accepted.
    My only option would be to reject all 5 offers I've recieved, take a gap year and retake all my AS and A2 subjects. I would do anything in order to go there, but even to me this sounds like a risky decision and I'm afraid of how my dad and others would react.
    I'm in desperate need of some advice about what to do and I don't know who to turn to. All my teachers last year told me it would be impossible with my grades, it really got me down.

For some extra information, here's my UCAS:

Leicester University: Conditional offer, ABB
    Kent University: Conditional offer, ABB
    Brunel University: Conditional offer, 350 tariff points.
    Nottingham Trent University: Conditional offer, 280 tariff points.
    Buckinghamshire New University: Conditional offer, 240 tariff points.

I didn't take GSCE's because I was living in spain before, but I got A's in both English and Maths.

Anyway, please keep it neat, no insults because I already know how terrible my grades are.

Thanks. Rant over.
    what's camridge's opinion on retaking
    because i know some top unis like oxford and maybe cambridge will only take people who have taken the a-levels in 2 years unless they were ill or something like that

coz if that's the case then you would totally be wasting your time

ReputationRep:
    Lol what's wrong with the other universities in britain? I mean you might waste all this time, get an offer and then drop out because you hate it

And those grades sound rubbish to be honest, if you did that at higher here you wouldn't get accepted into any unis so cambridge is a bit far away to be honest!

You might look back at a uni you have an offer for and realise how daft you were being!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    OK firstly, they don't really care how much you want to go there if you can't get the grades. They're not going to "admire" narrow-minded desperation.

Secondly, you do not need to slave away to get As at A Level. They are not that hard. If you DO have to work slavishly for As in a subject, you shouldn't be at Cambridge. Many, many more people get straight As every year than can go to Cambridge, many of whom will not have attained the 90%+ which Cambridge prefers. Being able to get As, no matter what As they are, is not an ability sufficient to entitle you to a Cambridge place. It's one of the best universities in the world ffs.

Forget it.

As for the thing about going to a really bad state school in another country, I don't know how much worse your state schools and pre-advanced qualifications are but they can't be that much worse than ours and GCSEs.
    who are you kidding???

a-levels not that hard? everybody knows how hard they are ( except those people saying its gettine easier- they havent taken the exam so how would they know?)

you're probably just trying to make yourself sound smart

what subjects did you take?

obviously not academic ones then :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    Lol what's wrong with the other universities in britain? I mean you might waste all this time, get an offer and then drop out because you hate it

And those grades sound rubbish to be honest, if you did that at higher here you wouldn't get accepted into any unis so cambridge is a bit far away to be honest!

You might look back at a uni you have an offer for and realise how daft you were being!
    i see what you mean, though I very much doubt I'd hate Cambridge!

i don't even know why or how i got offers from all the universities I applied to, seeing as my grades are so bad.

ReputationRep:
    no need to be rude.
    i dont know how you can say that A levels are not hard tbh. Anyone who pretends that they don't have to work hard to achieve A's is a liar in my opinion. You can't just lay back, wait until the exams and get A* A A, no matter how intelligent you are. you still have to put in the hours.
    A levels are easier than the International baccalaureate tbh
    And whats this about laying back? Shambles never said laying back - its about consistency and making sure you are on track.

ReputationRep:
    I understand the fascination with the place, I had it too. But you have to realise there really really is more to life. It's just another University. But then, I don't know why I'm saying this, because when I was like you (and I mean this in the least patronising way possible) I wouldn't listen to anyone else tell me that what I thought was wrong.

So I guess the best I can say is good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplestar8)
    who are you kidding???
    a-levels not that hard? everybody knows how hard they are ( except those people saying its gettine easier- they havent taken the exam so how would they know?)
    you're probably just trying to make yourself sound smart
    what subjects did you take?
    obviously not academic ones then :P
    Perhaps you've missed the point here. I'll reiterate - The OP is making it out that you need to slave away at A levels to get an A. You do not need to do that.
    I think that the fact that Shambles is at UCL indicates a degree of intelligence ....:yes:

ReputationRep:
    May I first say; I understand how you feel. Cambridge is a wonderful university, I'm sure, and I would have loved to go there myself, but unfortunately I got rejected (pooled but that was a joke I think :P).

Then here's something else. Everyone says that if you're struggeling with A-levels (and let's face it, you are, especially if you compare to other applicants) then you'll probably don't make it at Cambridge. You're obviously not ready now and I think it's very wise you weren't tempted to apply anyway, because it wouldn't have done any good, I guess.

If you would be more prepared after another year of A-levels is something I cannot say. I don't know you, and I don't know how smart you are. The obvious thing to conclude is that you're not, because AS-levels aren't supposed to be very hard so if you didn't do well when working quite some time for them, you may not have the natural ability. I, however, do not know under which circumstances you took them, etc. You and your family and friends might be able to judge about this. If you decide to take another year, I would advise you to work REALLY hard (duh, but still), read A LOT around your subject and practice any tests/interviews. Also, take good care of your other university choices because still there's a huge chance of rejection.

However, this whole obsession/wish for Cambridge might be not really a long-term thing. Now you really want to go, but what if you get excited over the universities that offered you a place? Visit them, read the website, look for accomodation, information about the course, information about sports/culture/other fun things at that university. Talk with students, etc. etc. You might enjoy your time there much more than a Cambridge course:
    - Less work, so less pressure
    - More time to go out, make friends, play sports, music, acting; do fun things during your time as a student.
    - Easier to get on with the course and obtain a good degree and to learn a lot about the subject you love.

Yes, Cambridge is a good university. Yes, it has beautiful fairytale-castle buildings. But no - that's not a necessary, neither a sufficient reason to make you happy. I know it's hard sometimes because it's an appealing university and town (for some outsiders, at least) but it's really not the only thing that counts. There's so much more in the world; it's just another place with its advantages, sure, but also several major disadvantages. Think about them if you feel really bad, and enjoy your time at school, is my conclusion for now Then see what happens in august.

Good luck with whatever you'll do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    It's a bit of a risk, to be honest.
    This. Oxbridge take retakes into account and won't value them quite as highly as those that got AAA+ first time around. Huge risk. Try settling for somewhere else? Leicester is nice Kent, in Canterbury, is beautiful. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    no need to be rude.

Some people honestly could just lay back and get A's at A-level. There are people out there like that and I know some of them (most people would probably consider it as the case with me). For Cambridge you are up against some of the best people in the world, they will have got amazing grades in the standard time, if you want to stand a chance, work hard now, resit the AS level modules along with your A-level modules and achieve A*AA or better this year, otherwise you really don't stand a chance. Your circumstances aren't that rare, lots of people come from bad state schools and they still get A's - your excuse of not knowing the system won't hold any ground with them.

It is still possible you could get in after a gap year, but the chances aren't good, and you would have to have an amazing PS and interview to stand a chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to ask to the people that say Cambridge doesn't consider those who have done retakes: where did you get such information? If you could say the source, that would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    i see what you mean, though I very much doubt I'd hate Cambridge!

i don't even know why or how i got offers from all the universities I applied to, seeing as my grades are so bad.
    To be honest the hard work, not being able to get a job etc makes it sound like hell to me :p:

Lol you do it differently in England though you get resits which I don't understand particularly. Maybe they saw your ACC and assumed you could bump up a grade or two

I would just visit all those awesome unis up there and put cambridge out your mind

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, even if you retake them all and get better grades, they still might not even give you an offer, if they decide not to based on grades and / or your personal statement etc etc. Just having decent grades may not be enough to secure a place...I bet loads of high achievers apply there...and then you will have wasted a year.

I expect many people really want to go to Cambridge but sometimes you have to be realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Perhaps you've missed the point here. I'll reiterate - The OP is making it out that you need to slave away at A levels to get an A. You do not need to do that.
    I think that the fact that Shambles is at UCL indicates a degree of intelligence ....:yes:
    well it varies for other people
    doesnt mean that they're not as intelligent as others who get into cambridge
    also they may have bad teachers- you never know
    and this year's AS exams were so messed up- we are the first year so harder to prepare
    also as any teachers have seen, the exams were quite different to what we had been prepared for even private schools complaining ( that says something)

maybe Shambles did easier a-levels than we're saying
    and who determines that studying at UCL indicates a degree of intelligence- what degree anyway???

ReputationRep:
    I just want to ask to the people that say Cambridge doesn't consider those who have done retakes: where did you get such information? If you could say the source, that would be useful.
    Cambridge do consider you if you have done retakes. Obviously they would prefer if you haven't, but they won't auto-reject you because of it. I did a maths resit and though they did ask me about it, I still got an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Cambridge do consider you if you have done retakes. Obviously they would prefer if you haven't, but they won't auto-reject you because of it. I did a maths resit and though they did ask me about it, I still got an offer.
    thanks, in that case i really dont know why people are saying that I wouldn't get an offer just because i did retakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplestar8)
    and this year's AS exams were so messed up- we are the first year so harder to prepare
    Last year were the first year. Not this year. Hence the A* grade and curriculum 2008 syllabus.
    also as any teachers have seen, the exams were quite different to what we had been prepared for even private schools complaining ( that says something)
    You get good papers and you get bad. I've had some difficult papers last year in A2 but the jist is that it doesn't mean that the subject is harder because of this. The questions may be more intense but its a good differentiater

maybe Shambles did easier a-levels than we're saying
    and who determines that studying at UCL indicates a degree of intelligence- what degree anyway???
    UCL hangs around in the top 3-5 in many subjects and overall. Its right up there with Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial.
    Well thats exactly that, who determines that Cambridge indicates a degree of intelligence.
    The degree is irrlevent - Most of them are ******* tough to get into.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.