Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    thanks, in that case i really dont know why people are saying that I wouldn't get an offer just because i did retakes.
    That was one resit, not 4+
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Its pretty obvious your making excuses for your own poor performance at college your not good enough for camebridge end off move on.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, in that case i really dont know why people are saying that I wouldn't get an offer just because i did retakes.
    The problem is you would have to do so many resits - if its just one or two resits you can pass it off as a bad exam or two, but doing loads indicates you really just did bad in general.

ReputationRep:
    May I (international EU citizen) add that I think you British are a little bit obsessed with university-status and grades? All you, your teacher and universities seem to care about is measuring intelligence in A-levels (no offence by the way, just a very remarkable thing). In my country (the Netherlands) there's no selection at all for universities (just for honours programmes within those universities) and they aren't that bad anyway. They're not as widely respected as Oxbridge of course, but no worse than the average UK university.

All I'm trying to say is that your intelligence doesn't depend on where you're studying and what grades you obtained. Furthermore, intelligence (or I'd rather say academic interest) doesn't determine your value as a person. Studying at Cambridge doesn't make you a happy person, as going to work after GCSE doesn't make you a unhappy person (extreme example, people capable of A levels and uni degree would probably be more happy doing them, but OK).

Education is just a very tiny part of your identity. TSR seems to define people in amount of A* GSCE's, A's at A level and offers from good universities. That's not what it's all about and it definitely doesn't make you or break you. At the end of your life, you'll most probably not regret not getting that A* in your Maths A-level. Most people will care more about their personal life and work is a part of that, but just a small one. Besides, you can be succesful in your work without a Oxbridge degree. It's what you make of it and how you perceive it yourself.

OK, end of really inconsistent story which doesn't really have a conclusion or point, I just wanted to rant away, I guess :P Sorry :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Its pretty obvious your making excuses for your own poor performance at college your not good enough for camebridge end off move on.
    :rolleyes:

i'm not stupid, if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    May I (international EU citizen) add that I think you British are a little bit obsessed with university-status and grades? All you, your teacher and universities seem to care about is measuring intelligence in A-levels (no offence by the way, just a very remarkable thing). In my country (the Netherlands) there's no selection at all for universities (just for honours programmes within those universities) and they aren't that bad anyway. They're not as widely respected as Oxbridge of course, but no worse than the average UK university.

All I'm trying to say is that your intelligence doesn't depend on where you're studying and what grades you obtained. Furthermore, intelligence (or I'd rather say academic interest) doesn't determine your value as a person. Studying at Cambridge doesn't make you a happy person, as going to work after GCSE doesn't make you a unhappy person (extreme example, people capable of A levels and uni degree would probably be more happy doing them, but OK).

Education is just a very tiny part of your identity. TSR seems to define people in amount of A* GSCE's, A's at A level and offers from good universities. That's not what it's all about and it definitely doesn't make you or break you. At the end of your life, you'll most probably not regret not getting that A* in your Maths A-level. Most people will care more about their personal life and work is a part of that, but just a small one. Besides, you can be succesful in your work without a Oxbridge degree. It's what you make of it and how you perceive it yourself.

OK, end of really inconsistent story which doesn't really have a conclusion or point, I just wanted to rant away, I guess :P Sorry :P

Can I move to the Netherlands?

Seriously, it would be awesome just to escape from all of this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    im not saying you are stupid at all just that your making excuses for yourself we all do it but move on and go to one of your other choices they are all good unis

(Original post by Rvg)
    Amen :top:

ReputationRep:
    If you really have your heart set on it, then have a year out and retake the modules you did worst on at AS. Wait and see what you get in your A2 results to see if you need to resit them as well, because I think you could maybe just do the AS and not the A2 if you do well enough.

However, you have to bear in mind that universities are cutting places quite drastically, apparently 6000 applicants will be without places this year, so you are very very lucky to get those offers. Leicester is a great uni, maybe visit it and see what you think. You could always go to cambridge for postgrad...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm already retaking:
    - AS sociology, Social Identification module, first unit.
    -AS psychology, both modules.

So I suppose it's all down to what grades I get at A2...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

since I came to London to do my A levels I've always had it clear that I wanted to to go Cambridge University. Unfortunately, my AS results (AEECC if you must know) were not favourable to my choice despite the fact that I've heard stories about students with grades lower than a tripple A going on to Cambridge afterwards.

Anyway...today this classmate was telling me that she wasn't going to be in tomorrow because she was going to the Open Day for those going to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at Cambridge. I envied her so much I almost lost my mind! I kept thinking that it could have been me, and it was all too much to bear. PPS is also the course I would have applied for. She's already had her interviews and she's been accepted.
    My only option would be to reject all 5 offers I've recieved, take a gap year and retake all my AS and A2 subjects. I would do anything in order to go there, but even to me this sounds like a risky decision and I'm afraid of how my dad and others would react.
    I'm in desperate need of some advice about what to do and I don't know who to turn to. All my teachers last year told me it would be impossible with my grades, it really got me down.

For some extra information, here's my UCAS:

Leicester University: Conditional offer, ABB
    Kent University: Conditional offer, ABB
    Brunel University: Conditional offer, 350 tariff points.
    Nottingham Trent University: Conditional offer, 280 tariff points.
    Buckinghamshire New University: Conditional offer, 240 tariff points.

I didn't take GSCE's because I was living in spain before, but I got A's in both English and Maths.

Anyway, please keep it neat, no insults because I already know how terrible my grades are.

Thanks. Rant over.
    just give it a go

if its a dream then surely you will have the motivation to buckle down and work hard and had you given it a go you would always be asking 'what if??'

plus, theres nothing wrong with getting rejected the 2nd time round - hopefully it will provide closure and you can pursue another dream. also if you retook you are likely to get better grades and even if you didnt manage to get into cambridge, you would surely be able to get into a better place given your current predicament

as far, well done with your offers and stuff and good luck

ReputationRep:
    With grades like that even with minimal revision, I doubt you'd get into Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Can I move to the Netherlands?

Seriously, it would be awesome just to escape from all of this.
    Of course, you're welcome! (although we're in general not really known for hospitality, I think:rolleyes:) I think it has its good sides, being ambitious and all, but it's not everything. Here, most people are aiming for 60% in all their subjects (55% and over is regarded as a pass), which is seen as a problem by teachers as well :P So it's never really good... Although I prefer this laziness to the British grades-love, I think.

ReputationRep:
    no need to be rude.

i dont know how you can say that A levels are not hard tbh. Anyone who pretends that they don't have to work hard to achieve A's is a liar in my opinion. You can't just lay back, wait until the exams and get A* A A, no matter how intelligent you are. you still have to put in the hours.
    They seriously are not hard. You have to work, yes. Do you have to work that hard? No.

And sorry one of your subjects was Sociology? OK, I did Sociology AS, and seriously, I did virtually no revision for it whatsoever. Maybe an hour per exam. Outside of classwork and essays set on most of the past questions, which would have constituted maybe... 2 or 3 hours a week outside of classtime at most. It's one of the easier ones...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)

just give it a go

if its a dream then surely you will have the motivation to buckle down and work hard and had you not given it a go you would always be asking 'what if??'
    plus, theres nothing wrong with getting rejected the 2nd time round - hopefully it will provide closure and you can pursue another dream. also if you retook you are likely to get better grades and even if you didnt manage to get into cambridge, you would surely be able to get into a better place given your current predicament

as far, well done with your offers and stuff and good luck
    this is exactly it- if i don't follow my dreams (cheesy I know) I will always be wondering what would have happened If i would have applied to Cambridge. At least if they reject me I will know that I couldn't have gone there anyway.

argh, this is torture.

ReputationRep:
    If you take 3 years to meet their entry requirements, they will probably reject you because they get so many applicants that meet them in two years. Hundreds of people get turned away every year even exceeding these requirements. Also, how would you cope with the work if you struggle at A Level? Why Cambridge anyway? Is it just the prestige?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a lot of us have had the "OMG if I try I can go to Oxbridge" phase but I came down from that cloud the first week of year 12, you just have to deal with the reality.

Sure, do resits and aim for some higher up unis but I know people who got 4 As first time around and still got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    They seriously are not hard. You have to work, yes. Do you have to work that hard? No.

And sorry one of your subjects was Sociology? OK, I did Sociology AS, and seriously, I did virtually no revision for it whatsoever. Maybe an hour per exam. Outside of classwork and essays set on most of the past questions, which would have constituted maybe... 2 or 3 hours a week outside of classtime at most. It's one of the easier ones...
    lol how did you know i took sociology AS, did i mention it anywhere?

but yeah, i'm taking that subject and I really don't see what's so easy about it. You must have an IQ of 160+ or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplestar8)
    I did AS Sociology and A2 English Literature, History and Philosophy. Not hard sciences, I warrant.

(Original post by Stricof)
    :dontknow: It doesn't really matter, I guess it's pertinent to the discussion to point out I obtained and declined an offer from Cambridge. If that helps "purplestar8" out in any way.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness, you could be the best candidate (all A*'s at GCSE and all A's at As level) and still not get in.

I don't think it's a very wise move, you'll have to declare on UCAS all your old grades.

Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all, I got rejected but feel much happier going somewhere else, where I know I'll fit in and not make myself ill with the workload.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.