The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
You could always go to Leicester, then do a Masters at Cambridge :maybe:
Reply 81
If you believe that you can achieve (or do achieve) A*AA or higher and love your course there's no reason you shouldn't apply next year, but the competition's fierce and you'll be against people who only needed two years of A-levels to get the same grades. If you honestly believe that you've got the ability you should apply next year, but you're up against the best in the world, no matter what subject you're applying for. Even if you achieve A*A*A* with retakes for a subject you love, there's no guarantee you'll get in. I got rejected from Cambridge post-interview this year and it was difficult to take, not only because I'd had my heart set on it - but also because one of my best friends got in. I feel better for knowing that I gave it a shot, I didn't rule myself out. If you honestly believe that you've got the ability you should apply next year, but I've come to terms with my rejection, and I'm looking forward to September at a different uni :smile:
Cambridge isn't the end of the world
littleshambles
I did AS Sociology and A2 English Literature, History and Philosophy. Not hard sciences, I warrant.
It doesn't really matter, I guess it's pertinent to the discussion to point out I obtained and declined an offer from Cambridge. If that helps "purplestar8" out in any way. :colonhash:
But your subjects are essay based and theres nothing wrong with that and nothing to compare with science imo.
Don't worry - You don't need to demonstrate anything :h:
Reply 84
littleshambles
I did AS Sociology and A2 English Literature, History and Philosophy. Not hard sciences, I warrant.

:dontknow: It doesn't really matter, I guess it's pertinent to the discussion to point out I obtained and declined an offer from Cambridge. If that helps "purplestar8" out in any way. :colonhash:

:eek3:
Reply 85
punkyrocker
I'd probably have to be a bit mean here and say let it go. Cambridge very much dislike students who've had to retake, so your chances of getting in even if you took a gap year, retook and got A*A*A* may be even lower than now.

Edit: If you say that to get A's you'd have had to 'slave away', then perhaps Cambridge wouldn't be right for you anyway.

WTF, I know 3 people with Cambridge offers, all with amazing A's and all one thing in common. They worked damn hard for them.
MrHappy_J
lol how did you know i took sociology AS, did i mention it anywhere?

but yeah, i'm taking that subject and I really don't see what's so easy about it. You must have an IQ of 160+ or something.

Well yeah, here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23663867&postcount=70

Perhaps my perspective on what constitutes hard work is even more different from yours because what is demanded of you for, say, an essay at university is far beyond what is demanded for A Level, the amount of extra reading you'll need to do compared to the amount of stuff that is given to you during contact hours. But it's not like I spent even significant amounts of time before towards the end of A Level working working working. I mostly sat around doing **** all.
Reply 87
MrHappy_J
:eek3:

I study at LSE and can think of at least 7 people off the top of my head to have rejected Oxford or Cambridge (mostly Cambridge).

Cambridge really isn't all that.
Reply 88
Swayum
I study at LSE and can think of at least 7 people off the top of my head to have rejected Oxford or Cambridge (mostly Cambridge).

Cambridge really isn't all that.

Most students would kill to go there, I can't see how anyone could reject an offer. :s-smilie:

oh well, if youre happy where you are its fine i guess...
Stricof
But your subjects are essay based and theres nothing wrong with that and nothing to compare with science imo.
Don't worry - You don't need to demonstrate anything :h:

Lol. I don't wish to seem like I'm trying to demonstrate anything, which is why I'm not really happy that we've taken a turn into discussing my A Levels in particular. But yeah I can't imagine finding A Levels unbelievably difficult and being a surefire Oxbridge candidate. The interviews were way, way more difficult than anything relating to a levels. Blah. I just sound like a **** in this thread now. :colonhash: I think I'll go back to my reading. :colonhash:
MrHappy_J
Most students would kill to go there, I can't see how anyone could reject an offer. :s-smilie:

oh well, if youre happy where you are its fine i guess...

Nahhhhh. :no:
Reply 91
littleshambles
Lol. I don't wish to seem like I'm trying to demonstrate anything, which is why I'm not really happy that we've taken a turn into discussing my A Levels in particular. But yeah I can't imagine finding A Levels unbelievably difficult and being a surefire Oxbridge candidate. The interviews were way, way more difficult than anything relating to a levels. Blah. I just sound like a **** in this thread now. :colonhash: I think I'll go back to my reading. :colonhash:

You probably got asked this question a million times so a link to another explanation on TSR would be more than fine (no answer at all is fine as well if you're sick of answering it :P), but why did you reject Cambridge?:rolleyes:
Reply 92
MrHappy_J

1) The tutorial system is more than what most people can handle. Going one on one or two on one with a tutor would be so embarrasing if you've not done your work or not done it to a high standard. There's a girl on TSR from Cambridge who's needed therapy.

2) The workload is insane. At LSE, I think law students have 4 essays every 5 weeks and no other marked work. At Cambridge, I'm not sure if it's law or what, I'm pretty sure some courses have pretty intense essay writing. Problem sheets at Cambridge for maths are insanely difficult compared with ones I've seen at LSE and Imperial. Given that, ultimately, a first from LSE/Imperial is considered to be just as good as a first from Cambridge, is it worth doing such hard work?

3) There are social aspects to consider. Cambridge is a dead town.

4) The Cambridge environment (i.e. students that are exceptionally clever) isn't for everyone.

5) For something like economics/finance, politics etc, being in London is a huge advantage at times. I've had so many opportunities fall at my lap at LSE and that's primarily because LSE is in London and secondarily because LSE students are highly motivated for the sort of stuff I'm talking about (far more than Oxbridge students tend to be).

6) The course at Oxbridge can suck depending on what you really want to do (e.g. you're forced to do history modules in Economics at Cambridge, where as at LSE it's much more flexible).

7) Saturday lectures. Enough said.
Reply 93
MrHappy_J
Hi,

since I came to London to do my A levels I've always had it clear that I wanted to to go Cambridge University. Unfortunately, my AS results (AEECC if you must know) were not favourable to my choice despite the fact that I've heard stories about students with grades lower than a tripple A going on to Cambridge afterwards.

Anyway...today this classmate was telling me that she wasn't going to be in tomorrow because she was going to the Open Day for those going to study Politics, Psychology and Sociology at Cambridge. I envied her so much I almost lost my mind! I kept thinking that it could have been me, and it was all too much to bear. PPS is also the course I would have applied for. She's already had her interviews and she's been accepted.
My only option would be to reject all 5 offers I've recieved, take a gap year and retake all my AS and A2 subjects. I would do anything in order to go there, but even to me this sounds like a risky decision and I'm afraid of how my dad and others would react.
I'm in desperate need of some advice about what to do and I don't know who to turn to. All my teachers last year told me it would be impossible with my grades, it really got me down.

For some extra information, here's my UCAS:

Leicester University: Conditional offer, ABB
Kent University: Conditional offer, ABB
Brunel University: Conditional offer, 350 tariff points.
Nottingham Trent University: Conditional offer, 280 tariff points.
Buckinghamshire New University: Conditional offer, 240 tariff points.

I didn't take GSCE's because I was living in spain before, but I got A's in both English and Maths.

Anyway, please keep it neat, no insults because I already know how terrible my grades are.

Thanks. Rant over.

I think it's a bit risky. I suggest retaking a year if you're not that happy with your grades, and applying to Cambridge! Do extra curricular stuff- relevant to your desired course. Don't build your hopes up though, plenty of decent people got rejected IMO after browsing TSR.

Good luck
:smile:
Ah well, all good sociologists need to become bitter somehow.
Rvg
You probably got asked this question a million times so a link to another explanation on TSR would be more than fine (no answer at all is fine as well if you're sick of answering it :P), but why did you reject Cambridge?:rolleyes:

Cam was for straight Philosophy, and my UCL offer was for a humanity and a language. Going to UCL was basically my best chance of learning a language and going on a year abroad :daydreaming: So yeah, mainly the courses.
I think you are focusing on the prestige of Cambridge, and not exploring the other sides like student life, accomodation, expense, etc which may make you think twice.

I started last year at Imperial for computer science, which is just a few points behind cambridge, but I left because I wasn't happy there. Even with all the prestige that comes with a uni, it's not worth it if the degree doesn't satisfy you, or are unhappy with your lifestyle.

But if you're really passionate about your subject then don't let me deter you from applying, but as others have said, it's unlikely.

I'm now applying for a uni which is 6-7 drops down on the league table, yet I recon i'll enjoy it much more this time around.
It's not really that difficult a decision...

1. Accept a place at one of your other universities, if you're happy to go there.
2. Wait until you get your grades. If you get A*AA, call your firm and tell them you're not going. (If you're dead sure that you don't want to go to any of them now, then decline all your offers).
3. If you don't get the grades, you can either go to your firm/insurance or ask to be released into clearing. You don't have to take a place in clearing, you can plan to apply next year.

If you really flunk but don't want to go to your F/I anyway, then you can retake next year. But just be aware that it won't look good, and in any case, it will be a 4 - 1 shot against lots of other good options. So whilst you can still give it a go, you need 100% to have a backup plan in case you do apply and don't get in (which is statistically likely). And at that point you need to accept another university and get on with it. 3 out of 4 Cambridge applicants manage to... :smile:
Reply 98
Swayum
1) The tutorial system is more than what most people can handle. Going one on one or two on one with a tutor would be so embarrasing if you've not done your work or not done it to a high standard. There's a girl on TSR from Cambridge who's needed therapy.2) The workload is insane. At LSE, I think law students have 4 essays every 5 weeks and no other marked work. At Cambridge, I'm not sure if it's law or what, I'm pretty sure some courses have pretty intense essay writing. Problem sheets at Cambridge for maths are insanely difficult compared with ones I've seen at LSE and Imperial. Given that, ultimately, a first from LSE/Imperial is considered to be just as good as a first from Cambridge, is it worth doing such hard work?

3) There are social aspects to consider. Cambridge is a dead town.

4) The Cambridge environment (i.e. students that are exceptionally clever) isn't for everyone.

5) For something like economics/finance, politics etc, being in London is a huge advantage at times. I've had so many opportunities fall at my lap at LSE and that's primarily because LSE is in London.

6) The course at Oxbridge can suck depending on what you really want to do (e.g. you're forced to do history modules in Economics at Cambridge, where as at LSE it's much more flexible).

7) Saturday lectures. Enough said.

i lolled at this. poor girl.
all I know is that tomorrow I will be thinking about the Open day at Cambridge for PPS, and how I wasn't able to go. :mad:

I'm just going to turn into a bitter old sod holding a grudge against people at Cambridge if I don't at least try.
Reply 99
MrHappy_J
i lolled at this. poor girl.

Don't make a joke out of it. It's not funny.

all I know is that tomorrow I will be thinking about the Open day at Cambridge for PPS, and how I wasn't able to go. :mad:

I'm just going to turn into a bitter old sod holding a grudge against people at Cambridge if I don't at least try.

Well, if you're not going to be reasonable about it, why are you making a thread like this and wasting our time?

Latest

Trending

Trending