Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    It's not really that difficult a decision...

1. Accept a place at one of your other universities, if you're happy to go there.
    2. Wait until you get your grades. If you get A*AA, call your firm and tell them you're not going. (If you're dead sure that you don't want to go to any of them now, then decline all your offers).
    3. If you don't get the grades, you can either go to your firm/insurance or ask to be released into clearing. You don't have to take a place in clearing, you can plan to apply next year.

If you really flunk but don't want to go to your F/I anyway, then you can retake next year. But just be aware that it won't look good, and in any case, it will be a 4 - 1 shot against lots of other good options. So whilst you can still give it a go, you need 100% to have a backup plan in case you do apply and don't get in (which is statistically likely). And at that point you need to accept another university and get on with it. 3 out of 4 Cambridge applicants manage to...

Thanks!

yeah i think i'll just accept an offer and then decide whether or not to apply to Cambridge later on, depending on my grades. Sounds like a feasable plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Cam was for straight Philosophy, and my UCL offer was for a humanity and a language. Going to UCL was basically my best chance of learning a language and going on a year abroad :daydreaming: So yeah, mainly the courses.
    I understand. I think it's wise and even admirable that you did so; a lot of people (I guess I would include myself among those people if I was lucky enough to have an offer) wouldn't do the same although they knew in their hearts Cambridge wasn't the right choice.

I have a strong believe, however, that in the end whatever you choose turns out to be right, as long as the job/course/whatever somewhat suits your interest and ability. When you decide to do one thing, all other options will disappear and you can really focus on your new life, which will in the majority of cases result in at the very least accepting it and in a more desirable case in liking it very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Don't make a joke out of it. It's not funny.
    I wasn't literally laughing at her, it's just an expression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Don't make a joke out of it. It's not funny.

Well, if you're not going to be reasonable about it, why are you making a thread like this and wasting our time?
    I think you've seriously misunderstood what I said...

ReputationRep:
    any1 else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJB MASTER)
    I think you are focusing on the prestige of Cambridge, and not exploring the other sides like student life, accomodation, expense, etc which may make you think twice.

I started last year at Imperial for computer science, which is just a few points behind cambridge, but I left because I wasn't happy there. Even with all the prestige that comes with a uni, it's not worth it if the degree doesn't satisfy you, or are unhappy with your lifestyle.

But if you're really passionate about your subject then don't let me deter you from applying, but as others have said, it's unlikely.

I'm now applying for a uni which is 6-7 drops down on the league table, yet I recon i'll enjoy it much more this time around.
    No i'm not, why does everyone say that? I've visited the place, I know it would be ideal for me to go there, but I don't have the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year and retake

ReputationRep:
    who the **** neg repped me?! I didn't say anything wrong! :mad:

"cambridge doesn't want people like you"... stupid!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OK, this thread is quite clearly going around in circles now.
    OP, you've had your responses, and since you seem hell-bent on only paying attention to the ones encouraging you to go for it, I'd suggest that you do just that. I don't see much point in keeping this open any longer, though, as pretty much everything that can be said on the matter has been said already at least twice.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.