Turn on thread page Beta

Fraud watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Someone, i suspect a family member had got my cfard and registered it with t mobile and spent about 300 pound for like 2months, i found out when i recieved my statement so i went to the bank and blocked the card and was sent a new one, everything was fine for about a week, but yesterday their was again a unsual payment of £10 again, so i have blocked it and am being sent a new 1, so basically will my card number, especially the last 4 digits and security code change or be kept the same, as i have visited the t mobile website and from their it seems that once you register a card, all you need to do is either log in and enter the last 4 digits and security code, or text them the last 4 digits and secuirty code for the top up, so it seems that it is the last 4 digits and security code.? I thought these changed when i blocked my card the first time round?

Many thanks for helping someone really stressed out

ReputationRep:
    Ring T Mobile and get them on the case too.

ReputationRep:
    your new card should have a new number every time. I don't know what you mean by 'blocked', did you cancel your last card or just get it replaced?

ReputationRep:
    Hi... I work in the fraud department (SID) for nationwide building society. This is not an unusual circumstance - this seems to be a direct debit. Once the card is stopped you are issued with another card number so the fraudster cannot use the card anymore hence leading to the conclusion that the account number itself is being used to set up the DD. Can I ask who you bank with? Ring your card issuer and report the transactions - likely-hood is they will cancel the DD and will fill out a DD indemnity form for you either via the phone or ask you to go to a branch to have it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM989)
    Hi... I work in the fraud department (SID) for nationwide building society. This is not an unusual circumstance - this seems to be a direct debit. Once the card is stopped you are issued with another card number so the fraudster cannot use the card anymore hence leading to the conclusion that the account number itself is being used to set up the DD. Can I ask who you bank with? Ring your card issuer and report the transactions - likely-hood is they will cancel the DD and will fill out a DD indemnity form for you either via the phone or ask you to go to a branch to have it sorted.
    i am with Halifax, and it isn't a direct debit payment, and its a pay as you go type of payment, and i have already checked out t mobile, and to do this service you need to register a card and then enter the last four digits of the card and the secuirty code each time you top up. i doubt it is direct debit, as this person is not on a contract

ReputationRep:
    Well in your situation someone is taking your card details and returning the card to yourself. When your card was stopped & reordered the old one is automatically stopped and the new issued card has new numbers including the ones you've said are required. Halifax would not refund the tnx's as this suggests someone you know is using your card details because the fraud is continuing on your new card. From Halifax's point of view the finger is pointed at you. I suggest you ask your family, do some detective work and retrieve the funds from the fraudster. Sorry to put a downer on a already down situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM989)
    My friend, as i have registered for online banking, i quickly got what you were saying and went to diect debit payments, and i totally understand what you are saying, but it said 'You currently have no Direct Debits active on this account', so thank God, so clearly the case was i was maybe sent a replacement card whereby the security code and last 4 account digits somehow managed to stay the same.

ReputationRep:
    The account number would remain the same. However card number and security code will completely change no matter what the scenario is as the card is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM989)
    The account number would remain the same. However card number and security code will completely change no matter what the scenario is as the card is
    Man this is such a confusing situation, when the new card came to me, i opened the unopened letter myself, put the card in the locked safe, in a locked room, and no one entered my room, and it isnt a direct debit, and from my research everytime you top up you need to enter the number and security code, the only thing i can think of is that the card details didnt change, as the lady had ripped the old card so know i cant even check to see if the have really changed, anyway i am so confused honestly i feel like killing myself.

ReputationRep:
    The bank might have put it through as just a normal replacement rather than lost in which case it the old card may still work for a while after the new one arrives. I know with Natwest the old one works until you first use the new card if you just order a replacement rather than report it as lost.

You need to phone the bank and let them know.

ReputationRep:
    More than likely what has happened is one transaction was in pending before the card had been reordered and then thus came out out a later date. Obviously I am not calling you a lier or anything but i am just telling you the way the bank will look at it. As for just reordering the card and not stopping it that would be hugely irresponsible and unlikely. As allowing a card to be left open when the details are not secure opens it up to fraud and creates a huge risk of which the bank would be liable for. Although unlikely - its happened at my place before by silly employees so it could be a possbility. It is best to call up the help line and speak to the fraud department directly and they will advise you on what to do next (and hopefully recredit the full amount )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.