Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much work do you have to do outside of lessons at college per subject? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering because I am deciding whether to do 4 or 5 AS levels. At the college I want to go to if I do 4 (+ critical thinking) I will have 13 free periods a week whereas if I do five I will have 10. Then the college is saying that you will have 5 hours of homework per subject per week, but my school said I would have 1 hour per sbject per week and I get at most half an hour a week in total, usually nothing.
    So how much do you get?

Btw, a-levels I am considering are maths, english lang, psychology, law, or if I do five then those and further maths/economics/drama

ReputationRep:
    I didnt do any of your subjects (I did Eng Lit, Business Studies and Religious Studies) and just did the homework set and revise lots for the exams. I managed to work 10 hours a week as well. Some of my friends did 4 AS levels (as well as General Studies, which is a doss,) and they had NO frees and they did ok?
    5 might be a bit tricky though- remember 4 great grades are better than 5 rubbish ones.

ReputationRep:
    The only one of those I do is maths and you dont get a lot. I do AQA which is basically a series of about 10 booklets per exam (there are 3 exams for an AS). The homework consists of reviews of the booklets. We get 1 or 2 of these a week at the moment but they only take about half an hour each if that.

ReputationRep:
    For AQA English language I was usually set a task each week such as analysing data, writing an essay or reading certain chapters of the handbook. This would usually take me about 2-3 hours if I wanted to do it properly. When the coursework modules started I spent whole evenings working on my writing. We would usually do our coursework from home and have one-to-ones once a week with our teacher to discuss the progress. The lessons in language acquisition, language change and grammar would carry on as normal so it's worth remembering that English language can be quite stressful during the coursework period!

AQA Psychology was easy. Hardly any homework was set, but if there was it was only lame fill-in-the-gap sheets or reading a paragraph. I rarely spent any extra time reading about it outside of class, but I did keep a really organised file of powerpoints and notes. You will need to do this as there is so much to remember. With psychology I barely listened or did much work during class, but a month before the exam I went over all the powerpoints and did all the practice essays my lecturer set and got an easy A. Get the essay style right, manage your time well in the exam and make sure you know the material (e.g. theories + research studies) and you will do well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.