Turn on thread page Beta

Which is more improtant; the grade or the subject? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been lurking on these forums for a while now and still haven't found any good solid answers, probably because all these answers are opinions not facts, but alas i need some more opinions!

Some people say that for A Levels you should choose the subjects that you know you'll get that all important A in, because at the end of the day its the A grade that counts.

But then I found out about the blacklisted subjects and the soft subjects and the less respected subjects, and i saw this thread ranking all the A Levels in order of how respected they are by unis and started to thnk that maybe an C in biology is better than an A in English Language.

So from your experience which is more important; the grade or the subject?

my info:
    I want to study literature, language, psychology and philosphy, but was wondering whether I should do english combined, biology, psychology and philiosphy to make my self more attractive to unis.The only problem with that is that I'll most probably get a C in biology and then drop it after the first year and then not have a wide enough knowledge of english. It's most likely that I'll study a liberal arts subject at uni (definetly not a scientific/mathematical one) but i want to keep my options open, hence the science subject. Unless, for someone who doesn't want do a scientific/mathematical degree, psychology is scientific enough to have on it's. Advice?

ReputationRep:
    The grade! A in English Language is far better than a C in Biology. Unless it was a science based course which specifically requested Biology the admissions tutors wouldn't care that much that you'd done English instead, and if it was then the C probably wouldn't be sufficient.

Only Cambridge/LSE have published a list of blacklisted subjects (which English Language isn't one of, btw), and the rest of the top 10/20 do like to see traditional subjects, but not if you can't get good grades in them.

ReputationRep:
    The grades are what matters OP, as long as you match the entry requirements for your particular course/university choices with your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    university course> necessary a-levels > grades

so depends on what you want to study

fyi, if you wana do english i would suggest focus fully on it and not picking biology

ReputationRep:
    sorry dup post

ReputationRep:
    My 6 difficult subjects ('cept psychology) with lowish grades got me an offer from a uni that one of my friends got a rejection from despite her As in psychology, drama and sociology. We got the same grade in chemistry which was what we were applying for so i think they do care about the subjects more. They have rather set ideas about how much effort and intellectual capacity each subject requires.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what everyone has said so far really. It's the course that matters (at uni), I've applied to Film/TV courses at Uni's, and I am currently doing ICT, Media Studies & English Language. Although these may not be considered "solid" subjects by say, Cambridge. For the places that I have applied, they all have elements that can be applicable and relevant to my degree. I doubt I would have got my offers if I did Biology, Maths and Physics 8-)

So more relevant to your question, I think either can be as important. If you want to do veterinary science, then a B in biology, chemistry and physics, would be a lot more relevant and likely to get you a place than an A* in english, art and maths.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.