Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So i didnt know where to post this, so i posted in General Discussion.

I'm in Year 11 and don't know if i should stay at my current school's sixth form or go to a different one.
    Basically, last year in year 10 my friends, who had been my 'friends' since year 7 ditched me and didnt even give a reason for not wanting to be my friend anymore and now i have made freinds with another group of girls in my year but the thing is only two of these new friends are the ones i actually have things in common with because i just dont fit in with these girls as much as i did my previous friends however the two of them are deffo not coming back for sixth form and are going to two different colleges. My ex-friends were so *****y and rude to me when they broke up with me but most of them are coming back for sixth form (my school is pretty small and only take 60 for sixth form). (sorry for my rambling on)

But yeah, so im in a dilemma because i dont know if i stay (my schools grades are actually excellent) and end up being stuck in a deadout school with a bunch of girls i dont even like, or do i go to another college and risk my education because i wont properly know the teachers and stuff but i dont mind moving (would actually prefer it)

Sorry if you think this is stupid but i dont know what to do and dont really want to speak to anyone else about it.

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMode0914)
    Hi,

So i didnt know where to post this, so i posted in General Discussion.

I'm in Year 11 and don't know if i should stay at my current school's sixth form or go to a different one.
    Basically, last year in year 10 my friends, who had been my 'friends' since year 7 ditched me and didnt even give a reason for not wanting to be my friend anymore and now i have made freinds with another group of girls in my year but the thing is only two of these new friends are the ones i actually have things in common with because i just dont fit in with these girls as much as i did my previous friends however the two of them are deffo not coming back for sixth form and are going to two different colleges. My ex-friends were so *****y and rude to me when they broke up with me but most of them are coming back for sixth form (my school is pretty small and only take 60 for sixth form). (sorry for my rambling on)

But yeah, so im in a dilemma because i dont know if i stay (my schools grades are actually excellent) and end up being stuck in a deadout school with a bunch of girls i dont even like, or do i go to another college and risk my education because i wont properly know the teachers and stuff but i dont mind moving (would actually prefer it)

Sorry if you think this is stupid but i dont know what to do and dont really want to speak to anyone else about it.

Thanks xx
    Don't move because of "friends" I'd say if your current school has a good 6th form, then stay. That's my opinion. What are your "grades" by the way? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd go to another college because your education won't suffer just because teachers and stuff are new - what may in fact sabotage it is if you are miserable because of your peers. And you said yourself you'd prefer to move - the only thing that seems to be holding you back is the fact that it's a new, and therefore scary, place. My advice is just go ahead and do it - or you may regret it later! Hope this helps!

Also, this should've been posted in the Post 16/College Forum Just FYI for next time .

ReputationRep:
    I think moving would be a good idea, and to be honest my grades improved, you might not know the teachers, but soon enough you will and in my case most of them are nice, moving will give you a new start etc. go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I moved schools for sixth form, couldn't be happier with the decision to move My grades have gone up but that's based on the fact that it's a nicer school. I did move with 4 of my friends though so it wasn't as scary as it might have been alone, but if it's a nice school you're moving to then I wouldn't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Move. Seriously. You'll get to know the teachers, I was concerned I would be a loner at college but I've actually made loads of friends! And the lecturers are all really funny and lovely tbh. Who said you had to stick with the same people? Especially those who are just going to be a ***** to you, they're not worth your time at all. People move on eventually, and it's about time you did too.

ReputationRep:
    I went to college instead of going to my schools 6th form because I wanted to experience meeting new people, making new friends, and seeing people from different cultures before university - plus it seemed a bit incestuous to go on to spend about 7 years of my life with the same group of people. It was a good idea imo - it's done a lot for my confidence and I've met some really interesting people.

For me grades weren't an issue, as all the colleges in my area got better ALevel results than my school's 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Move. Seriously. You'll get to know the teachers, I was concerned I would be a loner at college but I've actually made loads of friends! And the lecturers are all really funny and lovely tbh. Who said you had to stick with the same people? Especially those who are just going to be a ***** to you, they're not worth your time at all. People move on eventually, and it's about time you did too.
    i agree, i moved for 6th form. no matter where you go, you won't be the only new person and the school/college will help you with the transition. i've made loads of friends and academically, moving was better for my grades.

what i would do is research schools in your local area, decide how far you'd be prepared to travel to get there and go to open days/tours if they offer them.

btw mathew551, am loving the picture

ReputationRep:
    I'd say look round the other schools in your area and make an informed decision based on the best education and overall experience a school can offer you.
    It seems like a big deal choosing a 6th form, but it's over really fast, so it's important you feel comfortable wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    You'll learn to get on with new teachers that's just how life is. You can't not move to a college because you'll be new. IMO moving to a college will give you a new experience (and may even teach you how to cope being out of your comfort zone). You'll make new friends easy, everyone does!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you should move. You don't want to be stuck somewhere where you have no friends and little chance of making any. Go to a nice big school/college where there's more likely to be lots of interesting people

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation. At my current school, i am in Yr11 and since Year 9 i began to realise that i don't really get on with anybody at my school. I've managed to cope because i have lots of friends outside of school, but it's rather inconvenient to go to school and not like anybody there.

However, my school happens to be the best school in my area by far and i know that in terms of grades i'd be better off at my current school, but i'd be happier if i went to a different sixth form.

Because i am in a similar situation to OP i understand it is a difficult decision. Just try to weigh up the pros and cons of going to each sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say move. if you are happier you'll work better and harder, doesn't matter if the teaching quality at the new school/college is worse.
    you can still stay friends with your old friends aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    I agree with you.!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.