Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I am meant to be writing a 2000 word essay, I find myself trawling through Facebook, being distracted to such an extent where I find university work mind-numbing, and it feels like getting your teeth extracted to finish it.

This has got me thinking - why has Facebook become so important to such an extent where it can be damaging to have done with it altogether? Is that even the case?

I have become perilously close to pressing the 'deactivate' button several times, but I can never quite bring myself round to doing it.

Part of it is the thought of losing contact with old school friends, part of it is losing contact with old work colleagues, part of it is being disconnected from the University world, and part of it is my own ambition - is facebook something I need to gain power positions as I get older?

Has anyone else thought about facebook suicide? Has anyone done it, and found it to be a liberating experience?

ReputationRep:
    This is just sad now, why are people taking a social networking site so seriously :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly depends on your circle of friendship.

I have only 3 friends who im really close with so i don't tend to use facebook. To get in touch with aquainteces I text or call or visit when possible.

It can be done, just man up!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Just do it.

Yes I did it before. I don't remember if I cared or not so I probabaly didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judge John Deed)
    As I am meant to be writing a 2000 word essay, I find myself trawling through Facebook, being distracted to such an extent where I find university work mind-numbing, and it feels like getting your teeth extracted to finish it.

This has got me thinking - why has Facebook become so important to such an extent where it can be damaging to have done with it altogether? Is that even the case?

I have become perilously close to pressing the 'deactivate' button several times, but I can never quite bring myself round to doing it.

Part of it is the thought of losing contact with old school friends, part of it is losing contact with old work colleagues, part of it is being disconnected from the University world, and part of it is my own ambition - is facebook something I need to gain power positions as I get older?

Has anyone else thought about facebook suicide? Has anyone done it, and found it to be a liberating experience?
    you've got an addiction to social networking sites, and you're a relatively new member on TSR.

Hello future TSR moderator!

ReputationRep:
    You seriousley should change the title I was expecting something a bit more serious. But it depends on how close you are with old school mates I wouldn't myself as I could pick it up and drop it straight away but it comes in handy as you always find someone who's like" Oh whats you Facebook" Or " Hit me up on Facebook"

ReputationRep:
    Deactivating doesn't delete it. It's really easy to reactivate again.

ReputationRep:
    Gain power positions? LOL.

If anything it is a detriment to that goal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    This is just sad now, why are people taking a social networking site so seriously :pierre:
    This, pretty much.

Self-control ftw.

Oh, I thought you meant liking your own status.

I've done it a couple of times.

ReputationRep:
    Write the essay out by hand in a library, once you are happy with it type it up which requires no thought if your handwritten one is fine) And you can go on facebook when typing it up

I personally just stick some music on and get on with it though :p: The thought of failing uni is reason enough

ReputationRep:
    I didn't deactivate my account as technically it's still there. I've deleted it properly so there's no going back. Facebook is a huge waste of time although I appreciate that if you're a university student then it can be a really useful site. I may be tempted into getting it when I start at King's this September, but if I'm honest I really hate it and would much rather receive a text or call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    I didn't deactivate my account as technically it's still there. I've deleted it properly so there's no going back. Facebook is a huge waste of time although I appreciate that if you're a university student then it can be a really useful site. I may be tempted into getting it when I start at King's this September, but if I'm honest I really hate it and would much rather receive a text or call.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    Because taking global warming seriously doesn't make one popular

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread was going to be about: http://www.seppukoo.com/ (Facebook Suicide site), which looked pretty cool but has been shut down by Facebook now.

Wish it had been about when I deactivated my FB.

ReputationRep:

Hello!
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. I used to be one of the most addicted people to facebook - i'd constantly be signed in, and if i wasnt, i was on it from my mobile. It used to take me like 3hours to finish a spanish literature essay simply because fb would always be on my mind and stuff!
    At Christmas, it suddenly hit me that i need to do well in my exams in january. i deactivated but i found it so hard. every night, i would reactivate for 5mins to see how everyone is doing and all the gossip that's going on. (trust me, last year of skl...so much stuff takes place on fb. all the organisation for leavers ball, yearbook, leavers hoodies etc... takes place on there!)
    Then i dunno...slowly i started to become less interested in it. my exams finished in january and i had no intention of returning to use fb. i didnt reactivate. i didnt see the point. the friends that i want to talk to i see at skl everyday..and the ones that i dont see are just a text message or phone call away. all the privacy has gone from fb as well so i stopped using it properly anyway because i didnt want to write on someone;s wall and have it appear on everyone's homepage. if anyone wants to contact me, they know my email/phone number. so i dont see the point in having fb. its the biggest waste of time in the world. trust me. when you deactivate, the first 2weeks are going to be HELL! but it really does get easier. you have to try and preoccupy yourself with other things. you dont want to miss out on life and enjoyment cus ur in uni and these should be the best years of your life...but at the same time, you dont want your degree to suffer! best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is boring.

TSR is much more fun.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how some people can spend so long of facebook, trawling through inane status updates and 3000 photos of some tedious night out is not my idea of fun!

ReputationRep:

I deactivated it three weeks ago, and have honestly never even felt the urge to go back on it! It was taking over my life so I decided enough was enough :P I'd highly reccomend it

ReputationRep:
    i could never commit facebook suicide... no will power!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.