Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm going to accept Aberdeen as my firm but i'm still a bit concerned about the cost of transport from ther back down here in Kent.
    Is there anyone who use the Caledonian Sleeper Trains that can tell me whether they are practical and/or cheaper than getting a plane?

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to bad a special offer or book weeks in advance, but otherwise it certainly won't be cheap. It's over £40 on the ordinary train from Glasgow to Aberdeen one-way. More practical? Really depends on how you're planning to get to the airport or train station.

ReputationRep:
    From London it will probs be about £70 one way on average booking a few weeks in advance, I think its a £40 supplement for the overnight bed, then plus the ticket price

ReputationRep:
    If you are lookin for a cheaper alternative you ccould always get the national epress/megabus down for about £20 overnight.

ReputationRep:
    Also have a look at a student rail card as they will save you a good bit of money and book in advance too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Also have a look at a student rail card as they will save you a good bit of money and book in advance too.
    I already have a 16-25 railcard. Gets roughly a 35% discount...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    If you are lookin for a cheaper alternative you ccould always get the national epress/megabus down for about £20 overnight.
    Thanks, i've just looked at the megabus website and one way is just £10!
    I think i'll try that for the open day.

ReputationRep:
    I use the sleeper from cornwall to london, I prefer it as I travel as I sleep.
    But I hate planes and associated airport scanning hassle

ReputationRep:
    i travel from aberdeen to plymouth(like the bottom south west of the country and can do it for about 100pound max return on the train but i wud b looking at way over for plane. mega bus or national express wud b the cheapest but also the longest and they also have less advanced tickets...hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Booking flights in advance is alright - I can get from Aberdeen to Leeds (nearest my house, and the plane continues on to Exeter) for £12 plus taxes. Did a weekend at home for Valentines for about £80 all told.

The airport is fairly easy to get to, plenty of buses from City Centre for like £1.40, or £15 for a taxi. Alternatively, there are plenty of people with cars who will ferry you there for the promise of beers (or in my case, I bribe with cupcakes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Booking flights in advance is alright - I can get from Aberdeen to Leeds (nearest my house, and the plane continues on to Exeter) for £12 plus taxes. Did a weekend at home for Valentines for about £80 all told.

The airport is fairly easy to get to, plenty of buses from City Centre for like £1.40, or £15 for a taxi. Alternatively, there are plenty of people with cars who will ferry you there for the promise of beers (or in my case, I bribe with cupcakes).
    Where did you find plane tickets for £12! The cheapest price I could find for birmingham to aberdeen, booking one month in advance, was £78 all in. Or have you ignored the fact that tax makes up most of the fare? Also my quote is for a return, did you mean one-way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloved_hand)
    Where did you find plane tickets for £12! The cheapest price I could find for birmingham to aberdeen, booking one month in advance, was £78 all in. Or have you ignored the fact that tax makes up most of the fare? Also my quote is for a return, did you mean one-way?
    I quite clearly said "£12 plus taxes". Also, I consider 'in advance' to be more than three or four months when it comes to plane tickets. Yeh that was one way, but I've done it for <£50 all inc return before.

ReputationRep:
    Overnight megabus is cheapest. I live in north London and easyjet is the most practical/cost effective. (£25 from London Luton which is probs too far for you)

flybe is also quite cheap.

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.