Turn on thread page Beta

changing course whilst in the first year help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hii! i'm currently in my first year studying film and visual effects at sheffield hallam but i'm really hating the course, i think it's cause it's not how i expected it to be with film and some visual efffect stuff rather than visual effects and picking up a camera once in the year :/!
    plus i don't like the teaching style

i've arranged a meeting with the education guidance people on friday to talk to them, but i really wanna change to a course involving early years education

particularly, early years education with QTS and also early childhood studies

both of these i have the relevant qualifications necessary but not enough recent work experience, which i could try and gain between may and july while i've broke up.

my main question is, do you think it is realistic to be able to change to one of these radically different courses at such a late point, even if it is to start in year one in september, or are these courses seriously competitive
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    by the way i'm wanting to change to one of those courses at hallam!

ReputationRep:
    Considering you're in the 2nd term now, it'll be ridiculously hard to change to that course now, within this academic year. But, like you suggested, you should be able to start the course in September. It shouldn't be too competitive for you considering you're already a student there. Tbh, it really does depend on your uni and I don't know enough about Hallam's uni policies on this issue so it's hard to judge how easy it would be. But Early Years Education doesn't strike me as that much of a competitive course so hopefully you shouldn't have too many problems in changing courses. Talk to your personal tutor, they'll be able to give you better advice than any of us on this forum.

I have a feeling none of that made sense/was helpful at all...:p:

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you and you get to study the course you want

ReputationRep:
    In these situations, it's only as hard as you make it- I transferred from a biology based degree to english within the same uni so it can be done! You need to speak to your tutor and the head of admin for the education course. From there, they'll tell you the procedure to apply internally and who to talk to.

To be fair, if you know this isn't the course for you,would you be comfortable staying on the rest of the year doing film? With me I realised far too late, but I also gained respect from admissions people by wanting to finish what I started. You could do your work experience during this gap or work for a few months?

Good luck- not that you'll need it :p:

ReputationRep:
    hi! thanks for the responses, i really would like to finish the year ( i think it finishes end of april with one essay in for the end of may) but i want to be able to say i've finished a year rather than just quitting near the end.
    i've arranged the appointment with the guidance person so that they can help me get in touch with the people i need, i might start popping into primary schools near me soon to see if i could get some work experience over the last few summer months!
    *dicie* did you struggle to change to such a different course then, what procedures did you go through?

ReputationRep:
    Iv just done the same....although I chose to move home and finish my current course now as i saved a grand! Am moving onto another course at the same uni in september and i only had to fill out a form and get it signed by leaders from each course saying they agreed to it. SIMPLES!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjroyle1)
    Iv just done the same....although I chose to move home and finish my current course now as i saved a grand! Am moving onto another course at the same uni in september and i only had to fill out a form and get it signed by leaders from each course saying they agreed to it. SIMPLES!

so were you changing courses like across completely different subjects, like media to childhood studies is pretty different.
    i can't even speak to my course leader about anything - i've tried before he is well and truly useless - he hasn't even marked the work that was meant to be given back a year ago.
    i just really really really hope i haven't left it too late but then again i didn't want to seem like i hadn't given the course a fair try!

ReputationRep:
    Um well i went from school of sport science to sport education. You can do it pretty much anytime in the first year as far as i know, might be different at other uni's though. Uni's get this all the time and understand that you don't know if you truly like a course until your on it. It should be easy, as long as you have the right grades to get onto that course too! just get in contact with the course leader from your current course + one you want to transfer to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjroyle1)
    Um well i went from school of sport science to sport education. You can do it pretty much anytime in the first year as far as i know, might be different at other uni's though. Uni's get this all the time and understand that you don't know if you truly like a course until your on it. It should be easy, as long as you have the right grades to get onto that course too! just get in contact with the course leader from your current course + one you want to transfer to!
    which uni are you att? i suppose those courses are fairly similar. i think i have the grades needed, i just wanna get it sorted pronto

did you see a guidance person or what order did you see people

new course leader then old course leader or the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    Well first I saw my own course leader to discuss the options, which made them aware i was considering it. Then i arranged to meet with the course leader of the other course to see if this was possible. Then i just had to get a signature to release me from current programme and one to accept me onto the new one in september. It was easy, but probably best to decide soon what with this surge in applications you wouldnt want to leave it too late?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.