Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

cycling laws/fines? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    2 - hi-viz
    You'll look like a moron but if it makes you feel safer then so be it. The only cyclists I know that wear hi-viz stuff are pretentious businessmen/women or teachers. Not even Roadies wear hi-viz stuff and they're one of the least tolerable forms of cyclist in terms of how they see themselves on the road*.
    Really? I wear bright green liquigas jersey and matching shorts so I can be seen a mile off. I also have a bright lime coloured wind/waterproofed cycling jacket. Commuters tend to be a bit OTT but I do find it strange that you say road cyclists don't wear hi-viz clothing.

*Roadies tend of think of themselves as Gods and think that cars should notice them as much as they notice other cars.
    Thanks for the laughs. Too true though.

high-visibility jacket that will reduce your pulling power to nill :awesome:
    To be honest, I don't think any woman in the history of cycling ever looked at a passing cyclist and wished he'd pull over and propose to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Really? I wear bright green liquigas jersey and matching shorts so I can be seen a mile off. I also have a bright lime coloured wind/waterproofed cycling jacket. Commuters tend to be a bit OTT but I do find it strange that you say road cyclists don't wear hi-viz clothing.

Thanks for the laughs. Too true though.

To be honest, I don't think any woman in the history of cycling ever looked at a passing cyclist and wished he'd pull over and propose to her.
    By hi-vis jackets I mean these:

or these:

Obviously a good jersey is something different altogether and actually serves a purpose in keeping you at the right temperature and whicking sweat. And I have been checked out a few times on both my Cruiser and my Jump Bike as I've ridden past. Strangely enough, I don't get nearly so many people looking me up and down when I'm riding my 20 year old Raleigh road bike which I bought from the tip for £10

ReputationRep:
    Ride where you are comfortable. If you ever get pulled over for riding on the pavement, just explain that you've only recently learnt to ride and that you are not confident to ride on the road.

If you are cycling to get from A-to-B and not hammering it on the paths, nobody will care. If you are putting speed down, you really should be on the road. The biggest problem on the road is adjoining traffic. Nothing like travelling at 30mph to have a car pull out on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Please DON'T cycle on the pavement. If you're learning to ride do so in a park or car park, but once you're confident you should be on the road all of the time. So many people in Cardiff ride on the pavement, I've been knocked over countless times including once when I was coming out of a shop and a cyclist ran straight into me, which really hurt and cut up my leg quite badly (bikes are sharp!). There is no excuse for not cycling on the road, simply none.
    You'd be well within your rights to sue the person involved and given that the vast majority of cyclists aren't insured they'd be doubly funked.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your advice everyone

I know i sound like a wuss not wanting to ride on the road, but i seriously doubt i could go as fast as some of the cars whizzing along. I probably won't be going at very much speed. The university is around twenty minutes from where i live and for the main part of the journey, it's down empty roads and parks so i'm not worried about that but it's just the university road and two or three others i'll pass that are usually busy.

I'll be riding the bike over the summer, so i'll feel confident with riding it on the pavement but it's just junctions and roundabouts that worry me if i'm riding on the road. I guess i could just cycle down the empty pavements and through the park and walk with the bike down the uni road :o:

I'm probably anticipating it too much and making the fear worse, idk but thanks anyway!

P.S - Thanks for the equipment tips, i'll bear those in mind when i go to buy the bike/accessories :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get this!..
    You are cycling along a cycle path which also has pedestrains on it , you ride towards them slowly and ring your bell and some of the time they just turn around slowly '' oh a bike'' .Yeah well it is a cycle path as well

Or there are a group of people walking along the full breth of the path and can see you coming towards them but still don't move.(i do slow down) So you basically have to stop to enable them to go by!

As with riding on pavement it is illegal and gives cyclists a bad name!!

Its a legal requirement to sell a bike with a bell but not to have one on the bike itself

Helmets not a legal requirement to wear one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizabeffy)
    I'll be riding the bike over the summer, so i'll feel confident with riding it on the pavement but it's just junctions and roundabouts that worry me if i'm riding on the road.
    I cycle on the roads quite a bit, but live near a couple of major intersections and find that apart from really early in the morning when the roads are dead its a lot easier to just use the pedestrian crossings for them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.