Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Ahhh, Countryfile. Did anyone watch World Wild Vet on Sky1 just now? It was really interesting. It's about an English vet who has set up a charity giving free veterinary care to farmers and animal owners around the world. It's a series of 5, I think. The first was in India. It really bad me think.
    ive recorded it, ill watch the first one but if i also think its really bad ill just delete the rest

(Original post by Cap'n Ruby)
    edinburgh zoo and their sister highland wildlife park do summer schools lasting a week bout monitoring animals, habitat enrichment and vet stuff. I found it really good and also gives u a foot in the door and i was offered zoo gap year placement if i didn get into vet this year. they'r all lovely too
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Im going to paignton zoo in the summer They've accepted me for 2 weeks work exp, but it has to be confirmed in march because vet students get priority!!
    Thanks for the help

(Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    Just playing devils advocate but surely a lot of our tax money doesn't go into 'products and services' that benefit us- such as contributing do excessive bonuses and paying for MP's 2nd houses! Surely it would be in the interest of all people to maintain the healthcare of animals since, potentially, they can pass on v serious diseases to humans and they can transmit highly infectious diseases amongst themselves threatening the agricultural economy...
    yes but many people are very upset about these uses of taxes on bonuses and expenses, and i think introducing new taxes in this economic climate will fuel further complaints & over the use of taxes

i definitely disagree with the next point but many people would rather animals were slaughtered if they were carrying a zoonotic disease than to spend the money on possible vaccinations/treatments

ReputationRep:
    I :love: countryfile. It's always got some really interesting stuff on it. I was going to ask you Beth if the radiation thing affects your farm, but clearly not!

Also, Canada v USA Ice Hockey final is AMAZING!!! Canada FTW!!!!!!!!

Edit: Ah it seems I wasn't the only one that got rejected really late from various vet schools. I reckon they forgot about us, or lost our applications!

ReputationRep:
    saving private ryan is on tv right now, wasnt it filmed in glasgow? it has something to do with the vet school or something?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, Countryfile. Did anyone watch World Wild Vet on Sky1 just now? It was really interesting. It's about an English vet who has set up a charity giving free veterinary care to farmers and animal owners around the world. It's a series of 5, I think. The first was in India. It really bad me think.
    I just watched that. I turned it on just as he was pulling loads of plastic out of that cows stomach :eek: it was quite sad to watch, but it was interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaby)
    I just watched that. I turned it on just as he was pulling loads of plastic out of that cows stomach :eek: it was quite sad to watch, but it was interesting
    just wondering, when was your liverpool interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmad1992)
    i know this sounds random but which zoos have people been able to get work experience at as the ones near me have said they dont except work experience students

also what other placements would people recommend if i do end up on a gap year?
    Twycross Zoo (leicestershire) take people for work experience, they state on their website 3 week placements, but there were people there the same time as me who only had 1 week booked (college/school etc) so if you ask they will be ok with you doing less. They get booked up quickly though, so you need to contact them and arrange it asap. They also have a list of accomodation nearby if you needed to stay there (some it relatively cheap-ish).

Gap year stuff - have you got your basics? Plenty of vet? Kennels/Cattery/Animal shelter/Stables? Farms - cattle and lambing? Then try for the extras, abattoirs, vet labs, zoo etc etc. Some long term placements look good, combined with variety. Plan work exp so you have plenty to write about on your PS for october ("have done" looks better than "will be doing". Equally though, "will be doing" "have booked" sounds better than I am hoping to arrange....) You want as much definate by October or close ish to as possible. If you are wanting to disappear off abroad for any time, bear in mind interview dates, and availibility for them.

ReputationRep:
    Have a try at the Isle of Wight Zoo, though from what Steph saw on their website things seem to have tightened up a lot with their rules about it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it me, or have Liverpool not done a lot recently? According to the facebook group, the last interview date given out was the 3rd of March, but apparently they are interviewing until the 17th/24th? That being said, someone has a graduate interview on the 24th and we don't know if that's a grad only date or whatever.
    I seemed to get my Liverpool questionaire late, deadline for it off 8th feb, which seemed much later than everyone else on here.

I got an interview date via email on friday, of the 24th march. The email says about confirming attendance and to be aware that it is the last interview date, so I am unable to rearrange it to later.

So dunno what they are doing between 3rd march and 24th march!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaby)
    The thing about the dog sanctuary was very difficult to watch. I have to agree with the vet, that dog had no quality of life, at all. It couldn't move and could barely eat. It must of been very hard for him to have to witness that but not be able to do anything.

I'm really, really trying to find a zoo that will take me, for gap year stuff. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but they are such popular placements that I want to get them sorted ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    Twycross Zoo (leicestershire) take people for work experience, they state on their website 3 week placements, but there were people there the same time as me who only had 1 week booked (college/school etc) so if you ask they will be ok with you doing less. They get booked up quickly though, so you need to contact them and arrange it asap. They also have a list of accomodation nearby if you needed to stay there (some it relatively cheap-ish).

Gap year stuff - have you got your basics? Plenty of vet? Kennels/Cattery/Animal shelter/Stables? Farms - cattle and lambing? Then try for the extras, abattoirs, vet labs, zoo etc etc. Some long term placements look good, combined with variety. Plan work exp so you have plenty to write about on your PS for october ("have done" looks better than "will be doing". Equally though, "will be doing" "have booked" sounds better than I am hoping to arrange....) You want as much definate by October or close ish to as possible. If you are wanting to disappear off abroad for any time, bear in mind interview dates, and availibility for them.
    thanks - i have some of the basics, but struggled with lambing and farm due to time constraints of school, so they are top of my list

im really just trying to fill in as much as i can afford to do between now and when i will hopefully be starting vet school, coz i dont particularly want a gap year - i like to keep busy all the time and a year of nothing terrifies me, but the work experience should make it all good

(Original post by ClaireW2708)
    Have a try at the Isle of Wight Zoo, though from what Steph saw on their website things seem to have tightened up a lot with their rules about it.
    thanks for the advice ive been trying to go through all the zoo's websites, but it takes up a lot of time lol

ReputationRep:
    The thing about the dog sanctuary was very difficult to watch. I have to agree with the vet, that dog had no quality of life, at all. It couldn't move and could barely eat. It must of been very hard for him to have to witness that but not be able to do anything.

I'm really, really trying to find a zoo that will take me, for gap year stuff. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but they are such popular placements that I want to get them sorted ASAP.
    are you going to start applying now? i dont know whether i should apply now or apply after i get rejected for definite:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    ooooohhh tink_89 i was gonna apply for those but decided to take science a-levels in one year instead,,,dont know if i should have actually applied to it in the end,,,the d104 isnt it?
    i thought with like 35 places at notts and FIVE at bris the chances of even getting an interview would be slim

so well done on your interview!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxx
    OMG did not know theres only 5 places for bristol haha. Yeah its D104. Not heard from Bristol yet either and times ticking. Just goin to put my all into my interview at Nottingham now coz I really really want to go there, getting butterflies now as well haha =) x

ReputationRep:
    Omg come on Canada!!! Ice hockey is my live, Crosby ain't playing well tonight thou =( lol my fav bar in cov is called crosbys after him been in there most of the night xx sorry hockey just makes me very very happy

Oh I have got WE organised at west midlands safari park which looks fun =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tink_89)
    OMG did not know theres only 5 places for bristol haha. Yeah its D104. Not heard from Bristol yet either and times ticking. Just goin to put my all into my interview at Nottingham now coz I really really want to go there, getting butterflies now as well haha =) x
    it was 5 when i was looking at applying to it,,,it may well have changed so dont worry aha
    they are leaving it a bit late though,,,,maybe drop them an email?? or a phonecall maybe??
    and good luck for notts!!!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    OMG Goal in the last 24 seconds! Argh!!!

Seriously, come on Canada!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    ohhh and steph, we keep exotics.
    weve had 2 leopard geckos,,,but they died
    and then we had a bearded dragon,,,but hes dead now too
    so now we have a royal python...hes getting big nowww!

the geckos and the bearded dragon ate live crickets. cant remember how but one time they escaped,,and were all over the house :puke:
    my brother went to out on his school shirt once and there was one in there. godd i dont even like thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing about ice hockey they do a bit of roller hockey here, but the nearest Ice rink is Qweensferry which is faaaaaar

ReputationRep:
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    2000!!!!!!!!! WOOOOO

edit: how sad, i've been waiting about half an hour to do that lol!

ReputationRep:
    as if you got the 2000th post,,,i was watching that for ages :o: the shame..

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.