Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get the lincoln and gateway thing...I don't understand why ppl have to get EMA? they say they are the one missing out, and to me it's not, most of my mates who get EMA don't bother getting a job, so I and my non-EMA mates ended up workign most weekend while they went out...and now they do courses for them,a nd we don't even get to apply for them!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    I really don't get the lincoln and gateway thing...I don't understand why ppl have to get EMA? they say they are the one missing out, and to me it's not, most of my mates who get EMA don't bother getting a job, so I and my non-EMA mates ended up workign most weekend while they went out...and now they do courses for them,a nd we don't even get to apply for them!!
    THIS!! EMA pisses me right off.

ReputationRep:
    hey, does n e one knw if blue tongue is fatal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    hey, does n e one knw if blue tongue is fatal?
    in sheep it mostly is, in cows it mostly isnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    in sheep it mostly is, in cows it mostly isnt.
    thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kookabura)
    umm...just realised I have thought too much about ethical type questions...sort of forget that and have got a bit hung up on sciency stuff.

fell asleep on my lunch break today at the sheep farm, whilst trying to read through some notes....

MMm yeah I didn't do anyyy revision of ethical stuff. But to be honest I quite liked kinda working it out on the spot there, as they can see you are thinking about it! Iunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    THIS!! EMA pisses me right off.
    yep my mum and dad have worked real hard to be earning the amount they are earning now, only to find out it's a disadvantage to me and my siblings. I don't get much money off my parents, I even paid for most my family skiing holiday. And they have to put the 4 of us through uni, with no extra funding. Yeah some people do acctually need EMA, but most ppl don't!

ReputationRep:
    :nah:
    you dont have to get ema for lincoln. there are other requirements aswell. i think 50% plus people on the course (theres only 6 of us) didnt get ema and are on the course. i think its RVC who have to have ema

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsYCho ThInKeR)
    :nah:
    you dont have to get ema for lincoln. there are other requirements aswell. i think 50% plus people on the course (theres only 6 of us) didnt get ema and are on the course. i think its RVC who have to have ema
    well I still couldn't apply for it, coz I didn't have any of the requriment, which i find unfair! coz my grades are not as good as most vet applicant, and I could really have done with a shot at this course! :o:

ReputationRep:
    well I still couldn't apply for it, coz I didn't have any of the requriment, which i find unfair! coz my grades are not as good as most vet applicant, and I could really have done with a shot at this course! :o:
    if you have a reason why you didnt get the grades then you have a chance. plus your going to get an offer from liverpool anyway so you wont need this course

ReputationRep:
    yep my mum and dad have worked real hard to be earning the amount they are earning now, only to find out it's a disadvantage to me and my siblings. I don't get much money off my parents, I even paid for most my family skiing holiday. And they have to put the 4 of us through uni, with no extra funding. Yeah some people do acctually need EMA, but most ppl don't!
    I agree completely. What really annoys me is that I have the other requirements for the RVC gateway course: I got to a non-selective state school and none of my immediate family have been to university. But I don't get EMA I don't know anyone who actually uses EMA to pay for travel/books. I agree that some people do need it, but the system really needs tweaking.

ReputationRep:
    I know of a few people who do use it as it should be used. They did buy me sweets with any change, though :rolleyes:

I understand the frustrations, but the original idea is a worthy one. It'd be extremely difficult to know who will and won't spend it as it should be spent, meaning that some (and maybe a lot) of people will benefit in a bit of extra cash.
    But ultimately, this is surely a good thing. It's encouraging people to continue in HE who wouldn't usually, meaning there will be more people going onto uni and therefore more people are going to be better qualified in years to come.
    I'm sure the government are fully aware of how EMA is commonly used and if they were really concerned about this, students could be given vouchers of equal monetary value to be spent at selected stores on educational products, etc. Maybe in a more obvious way, EMA is a tiny bit of bribery. Unfair to some of us now, better for the future economy, better for us long term?

I feel like hugging a tree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    it was 5 when i was looking at applying to it,,,it may well have changed so dont worry aha
    they are leaving it a bit late though,,,,maybe drop them an email?? or a phonecall maybe??
    and good luck for notts!!!! xxx
    Yeah they are leaving it late but think it might be because they seem to be interviewing all D100 first =/
    ah well be reet. And thanks, Im truly terrified now haha. excited more than anything but its so nerve wrecking x

ReputationRep:
    im gona add to the hate for EMA, i got EMA during my AS levels, it was AWESOME, i could go out every weekend and i always had money and it just appeared from no where, i got the whole £30 a week and i was one of those annoying people who didnt spend it on books :p:

but in A2 year i didnt get ANY ema at all, which meant again i couldnt apply for rvc gateway or anything although like steph i went to a non selective state school and id be the first person to go to uni, its stupid because my parents income isnt set at all, some years we do okay and other years we earn nothing and it just happened to be the year that it could of come in handy for applying to uni, they earnt over the boundary for ema. but i dont care now, im going to vet school! although i would like as much money from the government as possible

im lambing this afternoon bit of training to start my night shifts at the weekend .. arghh!!!

good luck at bristol tomorrow Oaktrees!!! im off to Glasgow tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Got a pony dissection today :woo:
    And the sun is out!....bring on summer! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wanna join in this EMA hate =) nearly everyone in my year gets EMA and most of them dnt use it for anything other than booze. Problem with it thou is that it makes people stay in education that really dnt want to be there, and it's easier to turn up to class than get a job.

Oh well, it just means that people like me none selective state schools, first generation, crap area, etc have to work to be able to afford to go out and save for uni ....

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see how £30 a week encourages people not to get a job??? You get more on the dole.
    Saying that though, we had some total losers who stayed on at school.
    I got EMA, it paid for my petrol costs to school in sixth form. However, it appeared to be all of the fairly well of people that ended up getting EMA in a roundabout way; either because their parents were now retired as they were so rich, or because they knew how to fiddle the system and base income on the different factors.
    I certainly didn't deserve the EMA based on what my parents really earnt but then they were never going to give me any of that money so it really helped in my case.
    Similarly, if I go to university this year, it will be interesting to see what I put on my student loan application.
    I live with my boyfriend at the moment and based on our income, I would get full funding. But because I only left my parents house within the last 3 years, I think I have to put their income down, I would then get no non-repayable grant.
    so I think you can make it go either way really depending on how far you look into it.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help please: Are there any compulory (i.e. imposed by DEFRA) vaccinations for Cattle and Sheep? Or are they just as/when necessary depending on location and threat level? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    But ultimately, this is surely a good thing. It's encouraging people to continue in HE who wouldn't usually, meaning there will be more people going onto uni and therefore more people are going to be better qualified in years to come.
    This.
    I know one person who, as soon as he turned sixteen and could have got a job had to start paying his parents rent - without the EMA he wouldn't have been able to stay on at sixth form. He also worked aswell so he could afford to get transport there and back.
    However, I don't think it should be the be a compulsary requirement, maybe if you have to meet so many off a list and EMA is one of them. I can understand the other requirements (eg. rubbishy school) as they might prevent you from getting AAB.
    And no, I don't get EMA :p:

Happy birthday Oaktrees
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    i don't think that more people going to university is actually a good thing.

it just creates a ton of debt, which is no longer recouped through greater earnings due to the sheer quantity of graduates and large number of 'mickey mouse' degrees. unless a degree is absolutely essential, university graduates are less experienced and therefore less desirable candidates for a job than individuals who have simply worked their way up the career ladder. as a result, more and more graduates are working in jobs that they could have got without a degree, with a degree's worth of debt!

i will actively discourage my (future) children from going to university unless it's to study a course that leads to a professional qualification, e.g. law, vet, medicine etc., or they've taken (at least one) gap year and can explain exactly what they're going to do with their degree afterwards!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.