Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    yep i'l see u there (if i dnt get an RVC offer!)

when did u hear? was it for the d100?
    ye it was i heard last thursday, wat about u? i cannot believe it took so long for it to come through on UCAS though! when did you hear? ahh im so excited! this whole vet applying thing is soooo stressful! im so glad its almost over have you heard from anyone else yet? oh and one more thing, why do loads of people seem to really prefer the rvc to nottingham? cos i dont get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    just thought i would say,,,,,i got feedback from rvc a few weeks ago...
    their bmat threshold this year was 52... i dont know if this means anything to anyone. but they said each section is weighted differently.
    i got 49 and apparently satisfied all other criteria for interview. bad bad timesss.

i also wont be posting much either,,,being offerless is no fun :/
    hey, it must suck now but just think what an amaaazing gap year you can have! (as was said before) my friend just got 4 rejections and shes going to australia to work with koalas and then to do stuff that u wouldnt normally do like paragliding, bungee jumping etc, being a ski rep for a bit... u can basically do whatever you want for a year, then when you reapply theyre much more likely to take you cos uve shown how keen you are! plus u can makes loooads of money for uni which is a huuge bonus stay positive! it will all work itself out

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. Everyone is leaving, which I dislike. Also, I think I keep getting repped by the lurkers, who aren't leaving a name/reason! People who are waiting on RVC/on hold at Bristol etc etc, stay positive!! It isn't over for this year until it's actually over! I went into my Bristol interview knowing it was my last chance to get in this year, so keep hopeful and keep focused on work, and get ready to celebrate when you all get offers!

ReputationRep:
    gap year :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jquinlan3)
    hey, it must suck now but just think what an amaaazing gap year you can have! (as was said before) my friend just got 4 rejections and shes going to australia to work with koalas and then to do stuff that u wouldnt normally do like paragliding, bungee jumping etc, being a ski rep for a bit... u can basically do whatever you want for a year, then when you reapply theyre much more likely to take you cos uve shown how keen you are! plus u can makes loooads of money for uni which is a huuge bonus stay positive! it will all work itself out
    im already kind've on a gap year :p:

anyways, any travelling i do will be around interviews and retakes
    and ive completely accepted that so it isnt a problem.

im not against a proper gap year (without college 2 days a week lol) having said that, at least most of my friends are still where i live and i can make my application AMAZINGGGGGGGGGG

edit: and its true what tony says.,,,just look at this year reappliers..

ReputationRep:
    just thought i would say,,,,,i got feedback from rvc a few weeks ago...
    their bmat threshold this year was 52... i dont know if this means anything to anyone. but they said each section is weighted differently.
    i got 49 and apparently satisfied all other criteria for interview. bad bad timesss.

i also wont be posting much either,,,being offerless is no fun :/
    I agree. Been rejected by Liverpool the other week, then Nottingham yesterday. Im absolutely devastated, really wanted to go Nottingham..just Bristol left now but I still havent heard off them about an interview or anythin so its prob just a case of how long it takes them to reject me =/
    wont be posting much either after this =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tink_89)
    I agree. Been rejected by Liverpool the other week, then Nottingham yesterday. Im absolutely devastated, really wanted to go Nottingham..just Bristol left now but I still havent heard off them about an interview or anythin so its prob just a case of how long it takes them to reject me =/
    wont be posting much either after this =(
    oh no, im so sorry, i know how much you loved nottingham
    do you think you'll try again next year if bristol doesn't come to anything? (have you considered emailing them btw to see what they're doing?) xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    If it is any consolation (and it may well not be any at all ), just look at the re-applicants this year. There are quite a few of us and I'd say a very large majority have at least one offers; some are even holding out for four!

The gap year is very much as good as you make it. If you throw everything back into reapplying, work experience, working and just having a bit of time off, it probably won't be so bad as you might think. I've liked my gap year, but it did take a while for me to come to terms with it after facing four rejections last year. You'll be big, bad, sexy re-applicants, and the universities will love you

I don't know about the others, but I'd say the work experience that I gained over the past eight months has been some of the most useful. I've managed to learn a lot more from it than before, vastly improving my technical knowledge and making it even more enjoyable. This made my interview a lot nicer, because I could really talk about some of subjects they'd brought up without me writing about it in my statement.
    If you do need to resit any exams and you're focussed, you'll find it a lot better. You'll have more time, it's stuff you already partially know and your workload will be much less as you won't have the other subjects to worry about.

I remember so well getting my final rejection from the RVC. I knew I was going to reapply, I knew I was going to do everything it took, so all I could really think was "I get to go travelling. Fair enough". And now I really can't wait until June 30th when I set off for the States, to come back and then start at Bristol. Make it a positive gap year, and it'll make all the difference.

This time last year, there were a lot of us in your shoes. It's only one extra year and you stand a much better shot of getting what you really want. Don't hate on the gap year, it's a blessing in disguise
    But how many gap years and rejections do u take before you have to have a re-think. I applied last year and got rejected, struggled to get work exp this year on my gap year but the qualifications I have and exp booked are much better than last year...and Ive been rejected AGAIN. Dont wanna give up but not sure how much more I can take, I dont wanna be at home again for another year but I equally dont wanna give up on bein a vet. its sooo confusing. Im pushing 21 already and dont know what to do now x

ReputationRep:
    ye it was i heard last thursday, wat about u? i cannot believe it took so long for it to come through on UCAS though! when did you hear? ahh im so excited! this whole vet applying thing is soooo stressful! im so glad its almost over have you heard from anyone else yet? oh and one more thing, why do loads of people seem to really prefer the rvc to nottingham? cos i dont get it
    Yep i got offer from Briz. and rejection from cambs .. i heard a few weeks ago too bout notts- but yer- track took ages to update lol

i dunno- in my case i loved nottingham.. probably the most actually but i live in london and have a dog and if i didnt get into the RVC i would have to give him up i know thats a silly way to chose unis but i couldnt face giving him up unless i really had to.. :confused:

btw.. 2 every1 who is worried bout gap-yearing/reapplying.. i have been wanting to be a vet for bout 5 years.. and i never applied because i knew my application was lacking in one way or another.. and then i decided 2 years ago that i was gonna build up my application and just apply!.. i didnt care how long it would take..

but thanks to all the time thats gone by (u gain so much experience u dnt realise u will) i'v had some offers.. so even though its devastating now.. u WILL get in .. it'l jus take time.. jus dnt give up:yes:

ReputationRep:
    But how many gap years and rejections do u take before you have to have a re-think. I applied last year and got rejected, struggled to get work exp this year on my gap year but the qualifications I have and exp booked are much better than last year...and Ive been rejected AGAIN. Dont wanna give up but not sure how much more I can take, I dont wanna be at home again for another year but I equally dont wanna give up on bein a vet. its sooo confusing. Im pushing 21 already and dont know what to do now x
    Don't let age stop you or force you to change direction. There are people with all ages on the course and no-one looks down on anyone for being older than the typical 18/19 year old Fresher.
    Try again if this is what you really want. There's no real limit on the number of times you can apply. Contact the uni's, ask them exactly what it is that they want from you. Ask them for feedback on your application; the things they liked, and things they feel you didn't do so well in.
    After that you can start improving your application again - and you'll know for certain that you've given yourself the best chance you can. Then hopefully the phrase "third time lucky" can come into play.

ReputationRep:
    if u have taken a gap year already and got rejected again, u really need to get feedback, feedback is ssoooooo important, look at what they say, you cant improve yr app if u dont no what to improve. If you do what they say u WILL get an offer.

anyone who does have to re-apply do what u have to do and MORE, just throw everything at it (im someone who would NOT of taken a 2nd gap year, mainly because it does hold back yr life and i just wanna get on with it and i dont think i wud of been able to cope with applying again) but i new i wudnt need to if i put the effort in, i was lucky enough to get the grades first time which obviously helps, but that was the main reason i lacked work exp first time, i concentrated on getting the grades because i was so worried i wudnt and didnt put time to work exp.
    as soon as i got my forth rejection i made a letter template, made a list of places i NEEDED and i list of "extras" i send letters to about 20 places!!! i then got alll the work i needed and more, i spent my WHOLE summer from when i left colllege until the UCAS deadline doing work exp (minus 1 week to chill which turned out to be the worst week of my life and i wud of had to of cancelled work exp anyway) then i had a few placements thorughout the year aswell.

if u get feedback, throw everything back into yr application and get as much work exp as u can there is absolutely no reason u wont get an offer! think carefully about where to apply to maximise your chances :yes:

if its interviews letting you down, dont worrry to much, more work exp after doing A2 helps u to understand more complex procedures, i no the sylabbus has changed but we did digestion, nervous system and stuff in A2 which helped with understanding so much!! also an extra year really helps with confidence and maturity (even though u dont realise it) and as i was really shy and got nervous in interviews i got a job in a pub/hotel/resturant to improve my people skills and i think it really helped i even got asked how that work wud help me as a vet in one of my interviews.

so yeah anyone re-applying, just throw everything at it, write a kick ass PS and show the vet admissions that you really wud make a brilliant vet!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    oh no, im so sorry, i know how much you loved nottingham
    do you think you'll try again next year if bristol doesn't come to anything? (have you considered emailing them btw to see what they're doing?) xxxxx
    Im not sure. I really want to re-apply but its whether I can take another year living at home, Im not at college or anything so Id need to find something to do. Going to have to speak to a careers advisor I think. I definitely want to be a vet and nothings gonna change that, its just how I go about getting there now =/
    I emailed Bristol the other day and they just said theyre still considering my app. But its that late in the day I cant see them giving me an interview now =(
    Worst thing is I emailed Notts on friday night asking when we'd have an idea of offers etc and proper sucked up to them sayin how much I like the place then I got rejected yesterday. So theyre gonna see the email tomorrow and be like...oh well we rejected her now anyway =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    Don't let age stop you or force you to change direction. There are people with all ages on the course and no-one looks down on anyone for being older than the typical 18/19 year old Fresher.
    Try again if this is what you really want. There's no real limit on the number of times you can apply. Contact the uni's, ask them exactly what it is that they want from you. Ask them for feedback on your application; the things they liked, and things they feel you didn't do so well in.
    After that you can start improving your application again - and you'll know for certain that you've given yourself the best chance you can. Then hopefully the phrase "third time lucky" can come into play.
    Yeah Im basing it all on the third time lucky. I am tempted to reapply, its whether my mum can put up with me another year and whether I can take another year of bein at home x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    if u have taken a gap year already and got rejected again, u really need to get feedback, feedback is ssoooooo important, look at what they say, you cant improve yr app if u dont no what to improve. If you do what they say u WILL get an offer.
    Its prob the interview and work exp tbh. Only ever done one interview and that was at notts. This was for the 6 year course to start with. I didnt do A levels. I did BTEC national diploma in animal management and AS biology. If I do take another year out Im gonna try and do as much work exp as poss. its money more than anythn that holds me back. I dont live near farms etc so Id have to travel and it costs quite a bit when you only work 12 hours a week paid. I'll think of something... =/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Im basing it all on the third time lucky. I am tempted to reapply, its whether my mum can put up with me another year and whether I can take another year of bein at home x
    Personally, for one reason and another, it will have taken me several years to get where I want to be. I graduated in 2007 and will only be starting at uni again this september - but I knew if I didn't come back to vet med and try again I would be kicking myself when I am old and grey in a job I dont want to do! I think if you are sure this is what you want (and sounds like you are) you should give it one final, no holds barred shot!

Being at home can be a pain, I know! Plan plenty of work experience (potentially not at home!) so you get out and away for a bit.

Finances can be a big problem, yep. I have ended up balancing a full time paid job to earn some money with other work exp placements. Try and find places where you can stay for free in return for working - a lot of farmers are happy to do that. Things like the wwoof website often have places where they want happy in return for bed and board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    You'll be big, bad, sexy re-applicants, and the universities will love you
    haha this is so true blatantly :p:
    if people are worried about having another year at home with the parents, i know exactly what you mean, me and my mum dont get on very well and i really want to get out of here! just book work experience away from home and go travelling after the admissions are over, i've still got 6 months until i go to uni so im only half way thru my gap year but im spending about 4 months of that out of the country

ReputationRep:
    heyyy i just got an offer from nottingham vet school!! anyone else going there?/

Nottingham-Interview-Offer AAB!!
    Liverpool-Questionnaire-Rejected
    Bristol-Interviewed-On Hold
    RVC-Interviewed-Waiting...
    congrats how did you find out?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately my gap year hasn't been worth it for gettign into vet school
    But I'v loved it!
    My 6 weeks at the farm ends today, i go home with a texel lamb as a present and a cheque of (not telling but my bank account will lurvvv it)! I love this place and been invited back to help with the shearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    Personally, for one reason and another, it will have taken me several years to get where I want to be. I graduated in 2007 and will only be starting at uni again this september - but I knew if I didn't come back to vet med and try again I would be kicking myself when I am old and grey in a job I dont want to do! I think if you are sure this is what you want (and sounds like you are) you should give it one final, no holds barred shot!

Being at home can be a pain, I know! Plan plenty of work experience (potentially not at home!) so you get out and away for a bit.

Finances can be a big problem, yep. I have ended up balancing a full time paid job to earn some money with other work exp placements. Try and find places where you can stay for free in return for working - a lot of farmers are happy to do that. Things like the wwoof website often have places where they want happy in return for bed and board.
    Thanks Im goin to try I think. Been looking into more work exp today already but been talking to my mum and it just sounds like she wudnt be that pleased to have me around for another year, mainly for my sake not coz she doesnt want me here or anything haha. I just need my own space these days so staying at home for another year will prob only hold me back. Im looking into it just need to know what all my options are really =/ xx

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone recommend doing an intensive easter revision course at a private sixth form centre for a week or so? The only problem is, it would be only one subject (I don't know which to choose!) and it would be instead of a week at school. My parents seem to think it's a good idea, but I don't really think it will help. It's so expensive, too. But if anyone has any experience of these sorts of things, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.