Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I totally want another one as well, but that just adds to the responsibility!!!
    He loves other dogs and I think he gets a bit lonely without another one to play with. When he's older, we'll probably breed him (if I haven't chopped his nads off by then) and then keep one of the puppies.

By the way, I don't make him wear clothes all the time, I was preparing him for getting his England shirt on for the World Cup! He actually liked wearing the T-shirt a bit too much. Silly dog..

ReputationRep:
    A spring teaching vacation? Do you mean how long we get for summer holidays? (In which case we get about 12 weeks).
    We need to do 12 weeks of EMS overall over 1st and 2nd year (although really has to be finished by the Easter holidays in 2nd year). Most of it is crammed into the summer but people do a week or two over Christmas normally. I was too young to do it this Christmas though, so annoying! You have to be 18 otherwise it won't count/they won't let you do it.
    But anyway, I can post the times and species if you want:

- 2 weeks dairy
    - 2 weeks sheep (can include lambing)
    - 1 week rabbits/guinea pigs
    - 1 week poultry
    - 1 week pigs
    - 2 weeks horses
    - 1 week cats AND dogs (not one or the other)
    - 1 day livestock market
    - 2 weeks free choice

I think there are requirements with pigs and poultry; one of them needs to be "intensive" and usually it's obvious but it's difficult to know where the cutoff of numbers is sometimes. There doesn't seem to be a requirement with sheep and cows though, or they haven't mentioned it lol.

Btw, anyone know of a poultry farm near Glasgow? I really need one for this summer lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    this is random
    but my friend today was talking about his friend who went to lincoln to do the vet med cert this year
    is your name adeel???
    if so...small worlddd!

xx
    small world indeed
    who was this then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsYCho ThInKeR)
    small world indeed
    who was this then?
    he's also adeel,,, hes applying to dentistry and im at college with him as hes resitting biology
    he said you went to school together...
    mannn i feel like a stalker :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    A spring teaching vacation? Do you mean how long we get for summer holidays? (In which case we get about 12 weeks).
    We need to do 12 weeks of EMS overall over 1st and 2nd year (although really has to be finished by the Easter holidays in 2nd year). Most of it is crammed into the summer but people do a week or two over Christmas normally. I was too young to do it this Christmas though, so annoying! You have to be 18 otherwise it won't count/they won't let you do it.

- 2 weeks dairy
    - 1 week poultry
    - 1 week pigs
    - 2 weeks horses
    - 1 day livestock market
    - 2 weeks free choice

I think there are requirements with pigs and poultry; one of them needs to be "intensive" and usually it's obvious but it's difficult to know where the cutoff of numbers is sometimes. There doesn't seem to be a requirement with sheep and cows though, or they haven't mentioned it lol.

Btw, anyone know of a poultry farm near Glasgow? I really need one for this summer lol.

I was looking on the Edinburgh website and i looked at teh semester dates and it sed Spring Teaching vacation?? i didnt no what it meant either :o:

and thanks for that list, thats so helpful
    im guessing your allowed to go back to places u have done previous work exp?! awesome there isnt any requirements for numbers of sheep/cows!
    1 whole week doing rabbits?? woah!!!! where do people do that?

i thought i might start working out where and when to do some of this EMS :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    he's also adeel,,, hes applying to dentistry and im at college with him as hes resitting biology
    he said you went to school together...
    mannn i feel like a stalker :ninja:
    he told me he was studying with people planning on doing vet med. but wow. hope he gets in this year.
    nah not a stalker its just that everyone knows everyone in some way in birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)

- 2 weeks dairy
    - 1 week poultry
    - 1 week pigs
    - 2 weeks horses
    - 1 day livestock market
    - 2 weeks free choice

A whole week of guinea pigs? Wooooow! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsYCho ThInKeR)
    he told me he was studying with people planning on doing vet med. but wow. hope he gets in this year.
    nah not a stalker its just that everyone knows everyone in some way in birmingham
    this is very true haha.

and yeh i hope he does too....hes still got cardiff left and if he doesnt get any offers he said hell take his aston offer of pharmacy...

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    I was looking on the Edinburgh website and i looked at teh semester dates and it sed Spring Teaching vacation?? i didnt no what it meant either :o:

and thanks for that list, thats so helpful
    im guessing your allowed to go back to places u have done previous work exp?! awesome there isnt any requirements for numbers of sheep/cows!
    1 whole week doing rabbits?? woah!!!! where do people do that?

i thought i might start working out where and when to do some of this EMS :woo:
    HAHA for some reason I read "spring" as "summer". Ignore that. Maybe the Easter holidays? We get 4 weeks off.

I'm not having a smart day, managed to lock my locker keys IN my locker (it locks automatically when you close the door, but I had put my keys in my bag and shoved it in lol).

I'm doing mine at a country park (which also has a mini zoo attached, legend!). And you're allowed to go back somewhere where you've been before, yep.
    Haha one week of rabbits/guinea pigs is a bit strange. But I'm looking forward to mine!
    And free choice really does mean free choice, go for something you've never done before! I know loads of people who are just doing something normal like sheep. But I mean, we don't often get the opportunity like this (where you can say you're a vet student and might get a bit of preferential treatment getting into places lol)! I'm going to Tiggywinkles hopefully, very excited.

I'm going to Yorkshire for lambing, yay!

EDIT: There's a book full of contacts for EMS at Ed vet school, it's got some amazing ones in there. Maybe wait until you get here until you make a decision.
    Hehe there's even a cheetah sanctuary in there, brill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    HAHA for some reason I read "spring" as "summer". Ignore that. Maybe the Easter holidays? We get 4 weeks off.

I'm not having a smart day, managed to lock my locker keys IN my locker (it locks automatically when you close the door, but I had put my keys in my bag and shoved it in lol).

I'm doing mine at a country park (which also has a mini zoo attached, legend!). And you're allowed to go back somewhere where you've been before, yep.

I'm going to Yorkshire for lambing, yay!
    oooooh nice, so how many weeks do u get off for xmas? and how many weeks for summer?

i tried to understand the dates on the website but got very confused, i wud forever be locking my keys in my locker, at school i gave up using my locker after buying 3 more keys after loosing mine :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Urgh, terrible day at sixth form. On the plus side, I have a week at Chessington zoo confirmed in September.
    thats near me!

ReputationRep:
    We get 3-ish weeks off for Christmas, and 12-ish weeks for summer. 2 weeks of your easter is generally spent lambing though, I only know one person who can't do it this year so yeah, basically everyone is lambing at easter!

Haha yeah they can be annoying. We weren't allowed our bags in the bacteriology room so I went to put mine in the locker, accidentally locked the door with my bag in it (with keys) and ended up getting someone to look for the spare locker key for about 5 minutes lol. Luckily everyone in the VTO (Vet teaching office) is lovely! One of them even sent a congrats message back to me when I asked how to interpret my results. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)

- 2 weeks dairy
    - 1 week poultry
    - 1 week pigs
    - 2 weeks horses
    - 1 day livestock market
    - 2 weeks free choice

Its 2 weeks cattle with one week UK Dairy and one week UK lambing btw

I presume spring vacation break is the Easter hols? We get an extra 2 weeks at easter though so 4 instead of 2 :yep:

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    We get 3-ish weeks off for Christmas, and 12-ish weeks for summer. 2 weeks of your easter is generally spent lambing though, I only know one person who can't do it this year so yeah, basically everyone is lambing at easter!

Haha yeah they can be annoying. We weren't allowed our bags in the bacteriology room so I went to put mine in the locker, accidentally locked the door with my bag in it (with keys) and ended up getting someone to look for the spare locker key for about 5 minutes lol. Luckily everyone in the VTO (Vet teaching office) is lovely! One of them even sent a congrats message back to me when I asked how to interpret my results. :yep:
    People still leave their stuff by the lab as well. Dear me! Did you see my purple hands today lol Are you going to the meeting tonight btw? xxx

ReputationRep:
    Rach, I'm not going to the AGM (very very jealous of you & Beth!!) cos I'm gonna be in NZ, and thanks for the invite to the ball but I'll still be in NZ then too! Did you go to south west area 2 weeks ago? I didn't cos I'm on a major money saving drive at the mo and I knew it would be expensive!! I will def miss young farmers, but in a strange way, I know I will know many of them for the rest of my life, like my parents still do, so in the long term, not much'll change I guess! And Oaktrees, I'm not a farmer, just live in the rural area and interested But we have a couple of girls in our club who work for the council and live in town (which in fairness is pretty smalla nd rural but even so...)

All quiet on the Liv news front today it would seem....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xFuture_Vetx)
    Its 2 weeks cattle with one week UK Dairy and one week UK lambing btw

I presume spring vacation break is the Easter hols? We get an extra 2 weeks at easter though so 4 instead of 2 :yep:

xxx
    but u can do 2 weeks dairy? or does one week have to be other cattle??

and i guess most people just do 2 weeks UK lambing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    thats near me!
    Did you do any work experience there at all? I've not been there in years and years. I can barely remember it. I'm staying with my godmother who is very conveniently in Cherstey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xFuture_Vetx)
    People still leave their stuff by the lab as well. Dear me! Did you see my purple hands today lol Are you going to the meeting tonight btw? xxx
    Tbh I have so much work I need to do after getting totally distracted at home this weekend!
    And cheers for correcting my EMS post. Lol you can tell my head isn't quite in the right place today. :yep:
    Nope! But that stain is a pain haha. Someone at my old school apparently dunked their hands in iodine and held them there for a good 20 minutes, just the other day. Ah well, its their fault that they'll have brown hands for the next week or however long it is!

Haha that woman always glares at me if I leave my stuff there, so I just shove it in my locker anyway as I come into Summerhall just to save me the trouble.

ReputationRep:

Yes, you can. I just think that 1 week of dairy is compulsory (I planned to do 2 weeks dairy hence why I said dairy instead of cattle). :P

ReputationRep:

No can be 2 weeks Dairy Most people do their free choices as lambing as well! xxx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.