Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How did bristol interviews go yesterday..
    anyone heard anything from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    my dogs are way cuter than any posted so far :p: hahaha
    we've started lambing as well, 3 weeks early haha, well had 1 set of twins and 2 singles, ram must have jumped the fence

going to call Liv today, tell them I'm 1 mark off an A and if I stand a chance of an offer will they except me with that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    my dogs are way cuter than any posted so far :p: hahaha
    we've started lambing as well, 3 weeks early haha, well had 1 set of twins and 2 singles, ram must have jumped the fence

going to call Liv today, tell them I'm 1 mark off an A and if I stand a chance of an offer will they except me with that...
    I wouldn't tell them you missed out on an A before you get your offer! Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollykb)
    I wouldn't tell them you missed out on an A before you get your offer! Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know!
    well i'll waste £80 if I send for re-marks and they still accept me with a B...plus if they say no, i'll just say i'm gonna send for re-mark, so my B isn't acctually confirmed
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Well, doing maths isn't fun

ReputationRep:
    I nearly had a heart attack, I just got home from work, opened up the post box and on top there was a letter in a university of liverpool envelope, my heart was flipping pounding and the stupid *bleeping* letter just said thanks for applying make us your first choice, which os about the *bleeping* biology course that I'm 100% certain I won't take anyway, why the hell would you when you could be a vet?! Grrrrrr!!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I can imagine you would have an heart attack! Silly peoples

ReputationRep:
    i got that liverpool letter too... but its now on the floor in peices :s sorry liverpool!

this whole waiting for bristol thing is starting to irritate me.. i kindof dont see the point as im 99% sure i'll go for edinburgh and its higly unlikely theyl give me an offer anyway.. and it just seems horrible having to wait even longer if im just waited for "unsuccessful" to come up on UCAS, but id like to no a yes or no so i dotn always wonder " what if" but i wud like to get on with student finance, accomadation etc etc ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    well i'll waste £80 if I send for re-marks and they still accept me with a B...plus if they say no, i'll just say i'm gonna send for re-mark, so my B isn't acctually confirmed
    I would realllly just wait. They'll be more likely to reject you before an offer if they know you havent achieved the marks, if you ring them up I think. Wait until your offer and then ring.

ReputationRep:
    £80?!? Wow that's alot. I only paid £25 to resit. Flippin money grabbing exam boards!

ReputationRep:
    I'm selling my bearded dragon today, it's rather upsetting I'm going to miss him, he's so cute. But, when I'm away in the summer, and when I eventually go to university there will be no one to look after him. I don't really have time for him anyway, and no one can look after him when I go on holiday in a few weeks anyway. MY grandparents are housesitting and they are terrified of him. I only advertised him a few days ago, but loads of people want him. A man is coming to collect him today, and he seems really lovely. He's got 10 beardies and they are pretty much his life so I know he's going to a really good home, he deserves a good home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Nico*)
    Love the name 'Pedro'!
    Wasn't my idea actually, he's a rescue, so came in with that name already and I didn't want to change it, since he freaks out about everything - not that guinea pigs respond to their names particularly, but you know... :woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kurzyk)
    Wasn't my idea actually, he's a rescue, so came in with that name already and I didn't want to change it, since he freaks out about everything - not that guinea pigs respond to their names particularly, but you know... :woo:
    Can you train guinea pigs to be toilet trained/come when they are called etc... ike rats and rabbits?

I've never owned one hehh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caraghk123)
    Can you train guinea pigs to be toilet trained/come when they are called etc... ike rats and rabbits?

I've never owned one hehh
    This is actually quite tricky. Guinea pigs usually do not respond to being called by their name, they do however, get used to particular, short, easy to remember and characteristic sounds - such as opening a fridge door. They will start squeaking for food immediately when they hear something like that. Mine respond to particular sounds I make as well - I don't know how to describe them though. xD
    They usually wake me up at 6am so that I'll get up and give them something to eat - they're supposed to get fresh vegetables twice a day and mine seem to remember when I usually give it to them. They should also have unlimited access to hay and have food that is rich in vitamin C - the food you buy in shops for them has extra in - as they don't produce their own vitamin C, just like humans don't.

When I used to have only 1, Tuffcia, then I kept her on wood shavings and she seemed to wee only in one place - corner of the cage. Some people say you can toilet train them, however they will poo wherever they will feel like - they don't really feel it coming like they do with wee, so they'll run and it will just... pop out of them. xD

They do also eat their own droppings sometimes, as their digestive system can't absorb every single thing from the food first time round, so they'll eat the droppings to let it pass through the digestive system once more and absorb everything there's left to be absorbed. Apparently, rabbits do that as well, but I've never seen mine doing it or maybe I just don't observe him enough.

You can teach guinea pigs quite a few things - when mine run around the room and I'm busy cleaning the cage, after some time they will stand on the back feet with the front on the bars of the cage and wait to be picked up and be put back in. 2 of the 4 I have learned to jump on my hand and freeze until I put my other hand around them and put them back in the cage. 1 will always, always take naps on my forearm/chest. She will though not be too happy to do it on anybody else's arm/chest.

Also, their offsprings are always born fully adapted to the environment, they see, they have hair, just everything. Within a few hours they will eat the same food as the mother, although they will still get milk of her. The cool thing is that the mother doesn't mind having the offspring taken away from her for a bit, although she gets very protective, and if it comes back and smells different, she won't mind.

But, the thing is you shouldn't breed guinea pigs of above 6 months/year old, because their pelvis fuses together and is not very flexible, so it doesn't stretch and the birth can be very, very difficult.

Guinea pigs don't really need vaccinations of any kind and their teeth do not have to be shortened. Their eyes release a milky substance that they will then use to bath themselves. How smart? :woo:

There's quite a few things you can teach them. And they're so sociable. And so pretty. And so smart. And so cool. And so awesome. :woo:

They're probably the best children's pets as people say, because they very rarely bite. I have had guinea pigs for 2,5 years now I think and I've been biten only once, and that was when Tuffcia was pregnant - I bought her when she was 4 weeks old and they told me they keep the sexes separate.

Guinea pigs!!! :woo: :woo: :woo:

P.S As you can see I'm a little bit obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    ive written history and law essays shorter than that :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I hear 'guinea pigs' and I get totally hypered. That's how my whole 'i want to be a vet' story started. I mean, they're just so incredibely fascinating. :woo:
    People in school call me 'the guinea pig girl' and apparently even teachers who have never thought me know me and if they hear about me they're like ' is that the girl with the guinea pigs? '.

People at school asked me 'why did you do that to them?' when I told them I mentioned guinea pigs during my interviews. The teachers usually put guinea pigs into any kind of an example when I don't understand something - even in german lessons. :woo:

I mean, guinea pigs are just like the most cool awesome creatures on earth. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    haha don't be sorry! i know nothing about guinea pigs so some guinea pig education is deffo needed on my part!!
    thats the good thing about tsr though,,,cos everyone knows different types of animals and aspects of vetty stuff really well.

ReputationRep:
    lol bout the guinea pigs!

Nice that ur so passionate bout them.. i'm a bit like that with dogs.. can talk about mine for hours

i'v never really spent much time with a guinea pig to be honest.. but ur def. selling them to me!!

Have u heard about these miniature pigs they are breeding as pets now? They look really cute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a dog unless it was from a rescue centre. My dog's a rescue dog and people are often surprised by this because she's so well behaved. When I worked in kennels, the best part of it was when the dogs in the sanctuary were rehomed, especially the mongrels that no one seemed to want.

There was this gorgeous dog called Stanley who came in at 7 months old and he was there for over a year! I can't understand why no-one wanted him, he was quite boisterous but we'd trained him fairly well. Most people seemed to be put off by the reason he came into the sanctuary - he was a chewer and the family said it was the last straw when he chewed a pencil sharpener and had to have the blade surgically removed. But we'd pretty much trained him out of it, but people also seemed put off by the fact that he was a staffie x german shepherd. He wasn't aggressive, he was so affectionate I'm so glad he finally got a home, when someone said they wanted him I nearly hugged them! I wanted him, but we'd already got Bella and we had to draw the line, or I'd end up bringing all the sanctuary dogs home.

Stanley:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    my dog was a rescue dog and before we got him he had 4 homes in a month! someone only kept him for a night! he was bad the first night we had him but was absolutely fine after that, dont know why anyone would return him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    lol bout the guinea pigs!

Nice that ur so passionate bout them.. i'm a bit like that with dogs.. can talk about mine for hours

i'v never really spent much time with a guinea pig to be honest.. but ur def. selling them to me!!

Have u heard about these miniature pigs they are breeding as pets now? They look really cute
    one of the vets I worked with said these pigs were bad because people are selling them on the Internet as miniture when they're not and people are buyig them as pets and then they're growing too big and people don't know what to do with them :/they do
    look cute though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.