Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: stupid national rail have decided to go on strike when im going to london for my visa interview for the visa which already cost me over £100... im slightly pissed off in case people hadnt noticed :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tink_89)
    Well Bristol have finally put me out of my misery of waiting with a big fat rejection that they could have just done months ago tbh....bye bye vet school
    Im considering doing A levels in September but can't find anyone that will take me on coz its all 16 to 19s here....and the ones that arent want £9000 per AS subject coz I already have a level three qualification.
    I really want to apply next year but need something to do with my year as well as work experience. Cant handle being at home all the time
    on the plus side mum just said I can have two guinea pigs been asking for ageeeeeees but coz I was meant to be going uni this year she said no....but now I have NOTHING to do with my life so....lol
    Guinea pigs are soooo awesome. :woo: I have 4 at the moment, 3 girls and a castrated boy. I'm slighlty worried what will happen to them once I go to uni, since my mum also has a rabbit and a cat so won't be able to spend too much time with them and they get really attatched. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurzyk)
    Guinea pigs are soooo awesome. :woo: I have 4 at the moment, 3 girls and a castrated boy. I'm slighlty worried what will happen to them once I go to uni, since my mum also has a rabbit and a cat so won't be able to spend too much time with them and they get really attatched. :woo:
    Bring them with you"! you can keep them in your room, i am trying to decide on a small fluffy to take lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    i want to take my dog to uni
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Can you really keep them in your room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Can you really keep them in your room?
    Lol am not sure my friend has a hamster at uni and she just hides it in her wardrobe if she thinks someone will see but its unlikely as no one ever goes in your room uninvited! But i'm not sure if i would be brave enough to take one lol xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    i want to take my dog to uni
    I would love to, its the one thing making it really really hard for me to move away xxx

ReputationRep:
    knew you'd comment on that hahaha =)
    yeah I really like them, we had loads at college last year LOVE THEM
    I have cats as well =/ but Im pretty good at separating cats from anything else and knowing where my cat is all the time coz he's deaf and doesn't go out on his own so I have to make sure doors/windows etc are kept closed lol
    so I should be ok at not making that a prob.
    My mum was on about putting a hutch in the garage? Im not too sure coz I reck they'd get depressed what do you think? Obviously I wouldnt leave them in there all the time but Im still not sure, not enough sunlight etc lol x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollykb)
    Have you thought about A levels as evenings classes tink? All the colleges near me won't let adults in full time but loads of us do evening classes, you do have to pay about £300 an AS but that includes all your classes and exams so it isn't that bad really. Also means you'll have lots of time in the day to do work experience!! And guinea pigs do rule!
    Really that's quite cheap I think, I did A level Chemistry with a private college in london (cos only place that did practical exam for old syllabus) and it cost bout £1000 just for exams and a week practical revision course no actual tuition other than that!

(Original post by bambi91)
    in regards to horses are most people selling thier's? i really want to keep mine as i'm sure everyone does but think i'm going to sell him. i just can't seem to fit a horse in. I'm going to have to get a job...are most people getting jobs? money money money! i need more of it
    I'm defo keeping my horse no matter what IF i get in I''l commute and if I need to be near for rotations later on I'll move him to a stables nearer. It'll be tough money wise but been working for last 4 years so have some saved up, plus am hoping to work 1 day a week if I can cope with it, if it turns out I don't have enough time then I'll quit the job.

ReputationRep:
    im selling one of mine and my sister is keeping our other one. i am absolutely gutted, iv nearly had him three years, but if i get in il be in liverpool and thats obvs too far to commute to ride him! if i dont get in we'l be able to keep him another year wooo

ReputationRep:
    goooooooooooooood greif £1000 for these courses. im doing one at the moment and if i was old enough to have to pay it would be £300 for biology and £300 for chemistry at my coll (both as and a2 level). £9000 seems gastronomical.
    your local fe college is probably your best bet, as private centres generally charge a lot more.
    also if its an fe college theres obviously ways of not paying, signing on, something to do with employment support, and obv being 18 at the time of starting.
    my college is really good,,,we can go in for extra tutoring, workshops, use the library, they gave us the books we need so we didnt need to buy them.
    im in 2 days a week and love it!!!
    tink one thing i would say is that last year i was in exactly the same position as you...i.e. no science a-levels, was gonna apply for the pre-lim courses at notts and bristol, but thought my chances were better with taking science a-levels in one year and applying for d100 than with the pre-lim course. do not underestimate the amount of work involved though, given the intense timescale of one year science programmes, especially if its the first time youre doing it since GCSE, like myself. most people in my group are doing it as a refresher course to bump their grades up,,,but for me it was a HUGE shock the amount of work involved and the pace of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    since I'm blonde...don't think naming one blondie would be a good idea!! hehe. But I like sunny, we had New zelander called sunny working for us like 15yrs ago, remeber thinking he had an unusuall but cool name!

and Emilyy thats a good idea, but if they reject me I'll be like damb! hehe
    Are you sure you don't just like words that end in 'unny'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tink_89)
    knew you'd comment on that hahaha =)
    yeah I really like them, we had loads at college last year LOVE THEM
    I have cats as well =/ but Im pretty good at separating cats from anything else and knowing where my cat is all the time coz he's deaf and doesn't go out on his own so I have to make sure doors/windows etc are kept closed lol
    so I should be ok at not making that a prob.
    My mum was on about putting a hutch in the garage? Im not too sure coz I reck they'd get depressed what do you think? Obviously I wouldnt leave them in there all the time but Im still not sure, not enough sunlight etc lol x

I keep my guinea pigs in my bedroom. The bedroom's pretty small and the cage is hugeish, I built it with my own two hands :p:. They always run around the room and it's really easy to clean after them. I don't keep them on wood shavings since the base of the cage is made out of coroplast and it's slippery and 2 of them have had leg injuries and were unable to walk, so I prefer to make sure that the bedding is really, really soft, just in case they run around like crazy. Which they sometimes do. Besides, it is not recommended to keep them on woodshavings really, since it's like having your head stuck in a bag full of woodshavings for a whole day - after some time, you're just not able to breathe properly. Wood shaving does not absorb the smell of wee as some people say and some guinea pigs can have respiratory infections and get allergies. Besides, wood shaving makes soooooooo much mess, it just fall out of the cage every couple of minutes and is not easy to pick out from the carpet once it gets stuck.
    Keeping guinea pigs indoors ensures that they will really get used to humans, the sounds, the smells, the noises, the voices, just everything. Guinea pigs that are kept indoors are generally less afraid of people and more willing to play. Keeping them in a garage might be a problem during winter - heating - and summer - might get too hot. Besides, if there's a car in the garage, it might get quite dirty. What if you'll forget to turn off the engine and then the gas fills the room?! :eek3: THE HORRORS THEY COULD GO THROUUUUGH!!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
    I don't keep mine outside cause I love the noises guinea pigs make. I hate silence and can never fall asleep without hearing the constant chewing of the hay by the piggies. It's just soooo calming... :woo:
    They're not too active at night, so they just go to sleep wherever you do - and they take about a million naps during the day as well. :yep:
    The other thing is that my garden is small, insecure, there's lots of cats, I've seen a couple of foxes around - very dangerous, even if the piggies are in a hutch, I have friends who's piggies were almost killed by foxes - and then the area is not that cool either. My friend's guinea pigs got stolen and sold to a neighbour on the opposite side of the street. She got them back after a week but they were in a terrible condition. Another thing is that although guinea pigs don't need any vaccinations like rabbits and won't probably catch any kind of a mite and stuff or a disease carried by mites - I know there's a vaccination for rabbits that prevents them from catching an infection from a specific mite that comes alive in spring and is found in a lot of places outside - they can still get bitten by a bea and stuff and I've got quite a lot of flowers in my garden - I'm a bit of 'I-have-to-plant-new-stuff-every-year' freak - so they attatch all kinds of insects. I personanlly am allergic to insect bites and just anything that bites me causes my body to swell up to three times of its original size, so I look like a sumo fighter and have to get injections sometimes. So I get a bit freaked out about the safety of the piggies. :woo:
    If you keep them inside, you will never forget to feed them. They make a lot of noise when u open the fridge door and it's just impossible to forget about them. Besides, keeping them indoors is much cooler. I mean, I just spend so much time with them, they take naps on me - literally, chest/arm/knees/whatever - and we watch movies together and stuff.

I've got a psychotic cat - literally. She's a castrated 4year old female and she is... scared of the guinea pigs. She never attacks them - except for an occassional paw slap - and she just lies beside the cage, or on the top floor of the cage, and doesn't do much. The other fact is, that my guinea pigs are psychotic too. 2 of them have been adopted and are over 2 years old, they have been abused so they can get very, very agressive - not towards me though. :p: That's the cool thing, the piggies are extremely attatched to me and even the ones that have been through a lot will trust me and take a nap on my knees - they will panic, squeak and bite if anybody else will try to do it. Even though my mum spends a bit of time with them and takes care of them whenever I'm not around and feeds them and stuff, they're like: ok, let's sniff the human. right. it's not her. give us the food and go away. - and they will literally pay no attention to my mum most of the time. :woo:

So yes, keep them inside and not on wood shavings. Little recommendation. :woo:

Few additional pictures of my little royal herd as I call them: taking naps, looking at me strangely and in surprise and there's a picture of the cage (I'll give you details on how I built it and what I do instead of using wood shaving if you want).
    Spoiler:
    Show

Look at the chicken-like feet! :woo:

Real guinea pig vs. an artificial one! :p:

Hiding under the cover! That's Pedro, the most psychotic male I have ever seen, and Tuffcia, the first one I got that had a baby called Eeyore, who lives with my sister as he was too young to be neutered and I had nowhere to keep him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_dudette)
    Hi - I have never used his before so hi everyone... Um I was wondering if anyone knows anything about doing vet med as a post grad? First, does it matter which degree you do in particular? And second, if you did a degree, but didn't have the exact grades for vet med, can you still get in?

I am assuming that you have to do a degree relevant in some way and have most of the grades (like if you didn't have advanced higher/ a level chemistry, but you did a degree in that then they might overlook that, but if your degree was in... music (not critisising that in anyway btw) and you didnt have chem you wouldnt get in).

Don't know if anyone knows the low down on this but thought I'd give it a try,

thanks for any help
    Hi
    Your degree has to be either a 1st or a 2:1 and I think you still need to meet the A level requirements (particularly chemistry) regardless of your subject (I did Animal Science and then had to go back to college after I graduated to do my science A levels!).

Ooh just to add, there was quite a few pages to trawl through since I last looked but congrats to those with offers and sorry to hear about the rejections! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~)
    Are you sure you don't just like words that end in 'unny'?
    Why do I not get this :o: or were oyu ment to Quote Dr 2 be?

If my housemate had a hampster I'd let it loose :ninja: I hate animals in cages, especailly birds!!

ReputationRep:
    I keep my guinea pigs in my bedroom. The bedroom's pretty small and the cage is hugeish, I built it with my own two hands :p:. They always run around the room and it's really easy to clean after them. I don't keep them on wood shavings since the base of the cage is made out of coroplast and it's slippery and 2 of them have had leg injuries and were unable to walk, so I prefer to make sure that the bedding is really, really soft, just in case they run around like crazy. Which they sometimes do. Besides, it is not recommended to keep them on woodshavings really, since it's like having your head stuck in a bag full of woodshavings for a whole day - after some time, you're just not able to breathe properly. Wood shaving does not absorb the smell of wee as some people say and some guinea pigs can have respiratory infections and get allergies. Besides, wood shaving makes soooooooo much mess, it just fall out of the cage every couple of minutes and is not easy to pick out from the carpet once it gets stuck.
    Keeping guinea pigs indoors ensures that they will really get used to humans, the sounds, the smells, the noises, the voices, just everything. Guinea pigs that are kept indoors are generally less afraid of people and more willing to play. Keeping them in a garage might be a problem during winter - heating - and summer - might get too hot. Besides, if there's a car in the garage, it might get quite dirty. What if you'll forget to turn off the engine and then the gas fills the room?! :eek3: THE HORRORS THEY COULD GO THROUUUUGH!!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
    I don't keep mine outside cause I love the noises guinea pigs make. I hate silence and can never fall asleep without hearing the constant chewing of the hay by the piggies. It's just soooo calming... :woo:
    They're not too active at night, so they just go to sleep wherever you do - and they take about a million naps during the day as well. :yep:
    The other thing is that my garden is small, insecure, there's lots of cats, I've seen a couple of foxes around - very dangerous, even if the piggies are in a hutch, I have friends who's piggies were almost killed by foxes - and then the area is not that cool either. My friend's guinea pigs got stolen and sold to a neighbour on the opposite side of the street. She got them back after a week but they were in a terrible condition. Another thing is that although guinea pigs don't need any vaccinations like rabbits and won't probably catch any kind of a mite and stuff or a disease carried by mites - I know there's a vaccination for rabbits that prevents them from catching an infection from a specific mite that comes alive in spring and is found in a lot of places outside - they can still get bitten by a bea and stuff and I've got quite a lot of flowers in my garden - I'm a bit of 'I-have-to-plant-new-stuff-every-year' freak - so they attatch all kinds of insects. I personanlly am allergic to insect bites and just anything that bites me causes my body to swell up to three times of its original size, so I look like a sumo fighter and have to get injections sometimes. So I get a bit freaked out about the safety of the piggies. :woo:
    If you keep them inside, you will never forget to feed them. They make a lot of noise when u open the fridge door and it's just impossible to forget about them. Besides, keeping them indoors is much cooler. I mean, I just spend so much time with them, they take naps on me - literally, chest/arm/knees/whatever - and we watch movies together and stuff.

I've got a psychotic cat - literally. She's a castrated 4year old female and she is... scared of the guinea pigs. She never attacks them - except for an occassional paw slap - and she just lies beside the cage, or on the top floor of the cage, and doesn't do much. The other fact is, that my guinea pigs are psychotic too. 2 of them have been adopted and are over 2 years old, they have been abused so they can get very, very agressive - not towards me though. :p: That's the cool thing, the piggies are extremely attatched to me and even the ones that have been through a lot will trust me and take a nap on my knees - they will panic, squeak and bite if anybody else will try to do it. Even though my mum spends a bit of time with them and takes care of them whenever I'm not around and feeds them and stuff, they're like: ok, let's sniff the human. right. it's not her. give us the food and go away. - and they will literally pay no attention to my mum most of the time. :woo:

So yes, keep them inside and not on wood shavings. Little recommendation. :woo:
    Blimey did u start typing that as soon as I replied haha. Yeah I wouldnt of actually kept them in the garage and no we dont have a car in there lol. I said to my mum Id rather keep them in the house, like you said with suitable bedding it wont be a prob. Only thing is my bedroom is TINY lol...and Im not too sure whether mum wud let me keep them inside. Gonna proper look into everything before I get any. and if I do I'll prob build the hutch myself as well. Done it before for the ones we had at college. awww I miss them I wanna go back just to give them carrots and hear them squeak when the fridge opens in the next room hahahahaha =)

ReputationRep:

If my housemate had a hampster I'd let it loose :ninja: I hate animals in cages, especailly birds!!
    we have a 4 foot python in a cage in our house....would you let that loose? :p:

ReputationRep:

.....................Dammed quotes....¬_¬

Sorry, was ment for Dr 2 be xD

ReputationRep:
    Nikkit84 how will you find the time? I'd love to keep mine but in the last 2 years students don't even get weekends off, so I've been told. if i kept him i still wouldn't have time to compete him so i guess it's a bit of a waste of a good horse....i need to teach my mum to ride

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    we have a 4 foot python in a cage in our house....would you let that loose? :p:
    I'm never ever coming to your house!!! haha do you feed it live rats and stuff? (I know nothing about sankes :o: even though we have way too many around our house)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.