Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tink_89)
    Blimey did u start typing that as soon as I replied haha. Yeah I wouldnt of actually kept them in the garage and no we dont have a car in there lol. I said to my mum Id rather keep them in the house, like you said with suitable bedding it wont be a prob. Only thing is my bedroom is TINY lol...and Im not too sure whether mum wud let me keep them inside. Gonna proper look into everything before I get any. and if I do I'll prob build the hutch myself as well. Done it before for the ones we had at college. awww I miss them I wanna go back just to give them carrots and hear them squeak when the fridge opens in the next room hahahahaha =)
    By a hutch u mean like a wooden one? Cause u could also build them a C&C cage, which is kinda what I have, but there are a few styles to choose from or u could just invent a new one urself. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambi91)
    Nikkit84 how will you find the time? I'd love to keep mine but in the last 2 years students don't even get weekends off, so I've been told. if i kept him i still wouldn't have time to compete him so i guess it's a bit of a waste of a good horse....i need to teach my mum to ride
    can't you just loan him out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    goooooooooooooood greif £1000 for these courses. im doing one at the moment and if i was old enough to have to pay it would be £300 for biology and £300 for chemistry at my coll (both as and a2 level). £9000 seems gastronomical.
    your local fe college is probably your best bet, as private centres generally charge a lot more.
    also if its an fe college theres obviously ways of not paying, signing on, something to do with employment support, and obv being 18 at the time of starting.
    my college is really good,,,we can go in for extra tutoring, workshops, use the library, they gave us the books we need so we didnt need to buy them.
    im in 2 days a week and love it!!!
    tink one thing i would say is that last year i was in exactly the same position as you...i.e. no science a-levels, was gonna apply for the pre-lim courses at notts and bristol, but thought my chances were better with taking science a-levels in one year and applying for d100 than with the pre-lim course. do not underestimate the amount of work involved though, given the intense timescale of one year science programmes, especially if its the first time youre doing it since GCSE, like myself. most people in my group are doing it as a refresher course to bump their grades up,,,but for me it was a HUGE shock the amount of work involved and the pace of things.
    I originally started AS when I left school ; chem, bio, physics and maths..but I was havin probs at home, hated the college and as a result failed miserably. The principal wouldnt let me re-sit the year despite knowing about my probs at home (stupid college) so she told me to do animal management at another college which dont get me wrong is the BEST thing Ive ever done....I loved it so much. but after being rejected for the pre-lim I wish Id done A levels now.
    If you were in my shoes now what would u do?
    *my shoes = skint with no offers for vet uni* hahahaaha xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tori687)
    Bring them with you"! you can keep them in your room, i am trying to decide on a small fluffy to take lol xxx
    If I'll bring them with you there's a risk you'd be forced to spend a lot of time with them and become as addicted as I am. U really want that? Remember, pure evil is my second name. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I originally started AS when I left school ; chem, bio, physics and maths..but I was havin probs at home, hated the college and as a result failed miserably. The principal wouldnt let me re-sit the year despite knowing about my probs at home (stupid college) so she told me to do animal management at another college which dont get me wrong is the BEST thing Ive ever done....I loved it so much. but after being rejected for the pre-lim I wish Id done A levels now.
    Tink I was in your shoes, I started my AS's had some problems at the college etc; and left, I was then advised about the BTEC animal management which I loved and completed, then got Rejected by everyone! Which killed me!
    But i got feedbac from all uni's some said more science some said more work exp.
    I was totlly skint and living on my own, I worked every night in a bar and did work experience mon - fri in all differnt places and got lots of work exp.
    I ran out of money and had to move back into my mums which was reallyreally hard, and I reapplied this year and it has finally paid off.
    So I really think you should give it one more shot, it depends how much you are prepared to give, I got myself in debt (which was not good) trying to get lots of work experience, but now I have managed to earn money and get out of it, and the suggestions everyone has made about the access to science course is a really good one, but I think you are best waiting for feedback from the uni's. becuase then you can do exactly what they as for and more It is all possible I have really poor GCSE's my BTEC and work exp, so don't let yourself get to down about it, anything you want to do you can do. You just need to decide what you want to do? - which is alot easier said than done, i hope this reply isnt just a load of blabbin and helps a little bit, i just know what it feels like cos it seems i was in the exact same position last year.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurzyk)
    If I'll bring them with you there's a risk you'd be forced to spend a lot of time with them and become as addicted as I am. U really want that? Remember, pure evil is my second name. :p:
    Do it! bring them xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurzyk)
    By a hutch u mean like a wooden one? Cause u could also build them a C&C cage, which is kinda what I have, but there are a few styles to choose from or u could just invent a new one urself. :woo:
    I was thinking either wooden. or buy one of them with the plastic base and bars at top (like what you've built) not too sure yet tho xx

ReputationRep:
    Tink I was in your shoes, I started my AS's had some problems at the college etc; and left, I was then advised about the BTEC animal management which I loved and completed, then got Rejected by everyone! Which killed me!
    But i got feedbac from all uni's some said more science some said more work exp.
    I was totlly skint and living on my own, I worked every night in a bar and did work experience mon - fri in all differnt places and got lots of work exp.
    I ran out of money and had to move back into my mums which was reallyreally hard, and I reapplied this year and it has finally paid off.
    So I really think you should give it one more shot, it depends how much you are prepared to give, I got myself in debt (which was not good) trying to get lots of work experience, but now I have managed to earn money and get out of it, and the suggestions everyone has made about the access to science course is a really good one, but I think you are best waiting for feedback from the uni's. becuase then you can do exactly what they as for and more It is all possible I have really poor GCSE's my BTEC and work exp, so don't let yourself get to down about it, anything you want to do you can do. You just need to decide what you want to do? - which is alot easier said than done, i hope this reply isnt just a load of blabbin and helps a little bit, i just know what it feels like cos it seems i was in the exact same position last year.
    xx
    yeah that does help thank you. So did u do a course last year?
    and I cant find anywhere near me YET that does an access to science course .
    Bristol and Notts are POINT BLANK refusing to give me any feedback. I know I need more work experience but dont know what to do course wise..mums pretty much said I can still stay here and she'll support me but I need to make sure Im out the house 5 days a week lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone from North wales here???

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know approximately how long it would take to get from Edinburgh to Yorkshire?
    Or better yet, does anyone know where Darlington is? Lol trying to figure out how I'm getting to my lambing place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    Does anyone know approximately how long it would take to get from Edinburgh to Yorkshire?
    Or better yet, does anyone know where Darlington is? Lol trying to figure out how I'm getting to my lambing place.
    Edinburgh to yorkshire is approx 4 hrs,
    Darlington is between county durham and north yorkshire
    It would take 3 hrs and 15 min from edinburgh city centre to darlington xxx
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I know where darlington is!

ReputationRep:
    yeah that does help thank you. So did u do a course last year?
    and I cant find anywhere near me YET that does an access to science course .
    Bristol and Notts are POINT BLANK refusing to give me any feedback. I know I need more work experience but dont know what to do course wise..mums pretty much said I can still stay here and she'll support me but I need to make sure Im out the house 5 days a week lol xxx
    Where abouts do you live? No i didnt thats what im saying im living proof that the btec is enoguh science to get into the prelim/gateway route, did you get your D's in everything ? Just do as much work exp as you can, you could look into doing an As in a science but maybe a lot more work exp will help.
    THey will refuse point blank until after the process has fnished they cant start with the feedback until they finish offers, if you wait a few more weeks (this whole vet school process has wy to much god dam waiting!) then email linda moore at bristol she gave me feedback last year and i did double what she asked and got an interview (even if she did reject me still lol) but they will give you feedback once they get themselves sorted and as long as you follow what they ask and go above and beyond this then there is no reason they shouldnt offer an interview. Do you already have lots of work exp?

ReputationRep:
    :love: my vets. It was absolutely manic today though. I saw the 5 pages since this morning and thought more offers had been given out, but it appears there haven't been any So sorry about the rejections though.

ReputationRep:
    :bawling: i just spent £100 on insurance for canada but its gonna be so awsum!!!
    and now i want a guinea pig... itll have to wait til after the summer tho

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts do you live? No i didnt thats what im saying im living proof that the btec is enoguh science to get into the prelim/gateway route, did you get your D's in everything ? Just do as much work exp as you can, you could look into doing an As in a science but maybe a lot more work exp will help.
    THey will refuse point blank until after the process has fnished they cant start with the feedback until they finish offers, if you wait a few more weeks (this whole vet school process has wy to much god dam waiting!) then email linda moore at bristol she gave me feedback last year and i did double what she asked and got an interview (even if she did reject me still lol) but they will give you feedback once they get themselves sorted and as long as you follow what they ask and go above and beyond this then there is no reason they shouldnt offer an interview. Do you already have lots of work exp?
    ahhh right I got DDD overall but for some of the main sciency modules (health, biology, anat+phys etc) I got merits in because my tutor wouldnt let me complete the last assignment for each module at distinction as there was only three weeks left then on the very last day she said I cud do it if I had them in by the end of the day which just wasnt physically possible, Id have done it if she let me in the first place coz I had distinctions in the rest of the assignments.
    For work experience I have two years at an animal sanctuary (horses, cows, goats, donkeys, cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, chickens etc) , about a month altogether at different stables, 1 week equine vets...and I used to watch the vet at the animal sanctuary all the time...
    so I know my work exp is lacking.Ive got 2 weeks booked at small animal practice, still waiting to hear off others. and the manager of that animal sanctuary has said he can sort me out with lambing/calving, lab work and possibly with a large animal vets I think =/ :eek3: xx

ReputationRep:
    oh and I live in smithybridge. Near manchester =)

ReputationRep:
    Your position was pretty similar to mine. I started doing a levels but dropped out and then did the national diploma, I think started a job as a zoo keeper whilst I decided what to do with myself. I've been doing a levels at evening classes for 3 years now to get the qualifications I need for vet school. I'm 25 and still may not get an offer this yr (come on RVC!!), so I'll reapply next year. If you really want to be a vet then there's a way to get there, don't give up at the first hurdle!

ReputationRep:
    ahhh right I got DDD overall but for some of the main sciency modules (health, biology, anat+phys etc) I got merits in because my tutor wouldnt let me complete the last assignment for each module at distinction as there was only three weeks left then on the very last day she said I cud do it if I had them in by the end of the day which just wasnt physically possible, Id have done it if she let me in the first place coz I had distinctions in the rest of the assignments.
    For work experience I have two years at an animal sanctuary (horses, cows, goats, donkeys, cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, chickens etc) , about a month altogether at different stables, 1 week equine vets...and I used to watch the vet at the animal sanctuary all the time...
    so I know my work exp is lacking.Ive got 2 weeks booked at small animal practice, still waiting to hear off others. and the manager of that animal sanctuary has said he can sort me out with lambing/calving, lab work and possibly with a large animal vets I think =/ :eek3: xx
    Yay well thats well good he can sort you that work experience, try and get something abnormal if you can as well to make you stand out and and try and get a regualr one day a week at a vet practice, ah with your btec im not 100% so prob best to check with the uni's whether the merits in the science modules let you down, i was able to get my D's in all subjects so maybe you should (if you can) do the access to science or do an evening course in chem or bio jus an AS (dont do an A cos then you cant apply to some of the prelims/gateways i think) - again each uni is differnt!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    oh and I live in smithybridge. Near manchester =)
    I found this course...
    Combined Science Access to Higher Education Diploma 3 Part time (day) Northenden Campus
    http://www.themanchestercollege.co.u...ined-science-0

I have no idea if it is suitable just thought it was close to you (30mins away i think) with science and part time to allow you to do work experience to, but you would have to ask the uni if it would help show them your science ability?
    I am not sure if it is to basic a course or if it is sufficent just an idea.??

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.