Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when did u get yr bristol rejection, have u bee on hold until now??? like the sig alot

im 99% sure im gona be a Bristol Vet guyys! that post i put last night was from a vet i know who qualified from bristol a few years ago, hes very cool!

i havnt spoken to the lecturer guy yet but i will before i make a final decision.
    i also sent a text to an Ex- lecturer i did work exp with in Langford see what he thinks!

but i spoke to a vet that qualified from edinburgh (she was a postgrad) and she sed that i shud go to bristol, she sed she felt like she spent her life in airports and if shed had the chance she wud of gone to bristol without a doubt...

nothing from nottingham????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Yeah. Its very odd. We became obsessed with UCAS, and now its no more. haha

Nothing to poke at your mind while trying to focus on doing other things. I feel empty. Come back UCAS...:p: ...
    IVE STILL NOT HEARD FROM BRISTOL !...i wish they'd put me out of my misery!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody... I was looking over my application the other day and I realised something. I'm kinda looking for advice, like what are your thoughts.

Basically for seven years (until October 07) I had a condition in my legs which meant I could hardly walk etc. Obviously I couldn't get experience because of it, but I concentrated on getting the grades, cos it was the only thing I could do. When I got rid of the condition, it took me the best part of a year to get fit. Then I started getting experience. So I only started getting experience in 09.

When I wrote my personal statement, I knew I should put something into it about my condition. I didn’t want to go into too much detail, mostly because it was understandably a horrible part of my life and I am trying to forget about it. I had to justify the reason that I didn’t have as much experience as I should have. So I wrote something along the lines of “although I suffered from a condition affecting my legs for the last few years, I look forward to fully integrating into uni. life”

And my guidance teacher said that she would put a post note into my reference about my condition and that it was the reason for my limited experience. Just to explain it.

But like I say I was looking over my application and she didn’t.
    And in my feedback from both Glasgow and Edinburgh, their main reason for rejecting me was a lack of experience.

The vet schools must have thought I didn’t really want to do vet med and that my lack of experience showed that I wasn’t committed. Believe me though, I love work experience and would have gotten all I could if I had been able.

And my guidance teacher promised that she would tell them.
    I would like to make clear that I know I have been rejected and I don’t want to use this as a snide way to beg or bluff or threaten my way in, you know? I will apply next year – it’s just, do you think this has affected my application? What would you do in my shoes.

It really breaks my heart that (if this was the reason (which would make sense as that’s why I didn’t have experience)) I got rejected for something I couldn’t help.

sorry for the essay, but... this is eating away at me and I need some vetty people's advice please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erulisse)
    Hi everybody... I was looking over my application the other day and I realised something. I'm kinda looking for advice, like what are your thoughts.

Basically for seven years (until October 07) I had a condition in my legs which meant I could hardly walk etc. Obviously I couldn't get experience because of it, but I concentrated on getting the grades, cos it was the only thing I could do. When I got rid of the condition, it took me the best part of a year to get fit. Then I started getting experience. So I only started getting experience in 09.

When I wrote my personal statement, I knew I should put something into it about my condition. I didn’t want to go into too much detail, mostly because it was understandably a horrible part of my life and I am trying to forget about it. I had to justify the reason that I didn’t have as much experience as I should have. So I wrote something along the lines of “although I suffered from a condition affecting my legs for the last few years, I look forward to fully integrating into uni. life”

And my guidance teacher said that she would put a post note into my reference about my condition and that it was the reason for my limited experience. Just to explain it.

But like I say I was looking over my application and she didn’t.
    And in my feedback from both Glasgow and Edinburgh, their main reason for rejecting me was a lack of experience.

The vet schools must have thought I didn’t really want to do vet med and that my lack of experience showed that I wasn’t committed. Believe me though, I love work experience and would have gotten all I could if I had been able.

And my guidance teacher promised that she would tell them.
    I would like to make clear that I know I have been rejected and I don’t want to use this as a snide way to beg or bluff or threaten my way in, you know? I will apply next year – it’s just, do you think this has affected my application? What would you do in my shoes.

It really breaks my heart that (if this was the reason (which would make sense as that’s why I didn’t have experience)) I got rejected for something I couldn’t help.

sorry for the essay, but... this is eating away at me and I need some vetty people's advice please!
    it might be worth emailing the unis now telling them about your conditions and asking if they could reconsider you, it cant hurt

ReputationRep:
    Soooo where's the reapplicants thread? Liverpool rejection came through. Arrrgh :/ words can't really describe how awful it feels after everything. Bleugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    when did u get yr bristol rejection, have u bee on hold until now??? like the sig alot

im 99% sure im gona be a Bristol Vet guyys! that post i put last night was from a vet i know who qualified from bristol a few years ago, hes very cool!

i havnt spoken to the lecturer guy yet but i will before i make a final decision.
    i also sent a text to an Ex- lecturer i did work exp with in Langford see what he thinks!

but i spoke to a vet that qualified from edinburgh (she was a postgrad) and she sed that i shud go to bristol, she sed she felt like she spent her life in airports and if shed had the chance she wud of gone to bristol without a doubt...

nothing from nottingham????
    Yeah. I was on hold. Annoying that it was for nothing in the end though.

But in the final e-mail they said they can't give detailed feedback, but i've heard lots of people on here saying that Bristol are so good with the feedback thing. I'm curious to know what i could have done better. Also does this mean I was a 2 in interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    if you live outside the M25 then you are more than likely to get halls.
    Yeah I do live outside the M25, so hopefully that would be ok

(Original post by Northern)
    . .
    I might be swaying towards RVC, but then I will probably sway back again later :o: it's getting quite ridiculous now, I've even resorted to flipping a coin and doing the best of 3 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~)
    Liverpool rejection. Gap year for me then. any suggestions?
    I'm looking at going to Thailand for mine- there's loads of things you can do there! You can work with elephants, bears, gibbons etc etc
    www.wfft.org Rejection suckssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    im 99% sure im gona be a Bristol Vet guyys!
    Wooooo go you!!! You're further ahead than I am :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Yeah. I was on hold. Annoying that it was for nothing in the end though.

But in the final e-mail they said they can't give detailed feedback, but i've heard lots of people on here saying that Bristol are so good with the feedback thing. I'm curious to know what i could have done better. Also does this mean I was a 2 in interview?
    Yeah, I reckon that does mean you were a 2. Maybe a 1, even. If you email Lynda Moore directly she might give you feedback.

ReputationRep:
    its funny how people come up with different things, my mum keeps coming up with ideas of why i SHOULDNT go to bristol and my dad keeps coming up with reasons why i SHOULD go to bristol.

anyone from Bristol.. are they using the treadmill a the vet school for horses??

ReputationRep:
    Yep, some of my friends did their horse work experience at Langford and they helped with putting the horses on the treadmill. We've also watched videos of horses on the treadmill when we were learning about gait in anatomy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karate_kat)
    Geoff is still here, they keep saying every year that he's going, but he never leaves, lol. He used to be pre-clinical dean, but is now just EMS organiser.
    I'm pretty sure NO-ONE can choose their lambing farm. I assume it's easier for everyone's placement to be organised the same way.
    You can go to somewhere you've already been. The list is just there in case you don't know anywhere really. However, you have to fill in a form with the details of the place you'd like to go to, send it in to Geoff, he checks it, rings them up to ask whether you can go there, then you have to arrange the exact dates.
    If you've had loads of work experience in a certain area, or if you're a farmer/horse owner, or whatever, you can be exempt from certain placements, so you wouldn't have to do 12 weeks of work experience in total.
    As for the caseload, I'm unsure on that, we only go to Langford once a week and that's just for lectures usually.
    awesome thanks
    just seems annoying that i will have to do 3 weeks lambing unpaid when i could get £9 an hour for doing exactly the same thing :o:

How do u become excempt from EMS then?

i live on a dairy farm
    worked at a riding stables and have a horse
    done lambing for 5 years

i think i should be excempt from all 3 :p: hhahaha

nah im joking i just wondered how you are excempt? what do they base it on? Im guesing they need to know u have a good base of knowledge about it all... and have had good practical experience, but how do they know??

ooo im so excited, VET SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure on the details for becoming exempt as I didn't feel like an expert in any area, but some of my friends were exempt from 1/2 placements - I think they had to write an essay/report on what they knew and why they feel they should be exempt from that placement.
    I'm also not sure as to how many you can be exempt from.
    I don't think you'd be paid as much as £9 an hour at any of the sheep farms, but some did give money to the students that worked their as a kind gesture. E.g. I was paid £300 for the 3 weeks, one of my friends was paid £600 for the 3 weeks, whereas many were paid nothing.

I would assume with your 5 years experience of lambing, that could definitely be one of your exempt ones, so then you could just go to the sheep farm you already know??

ReputationRep:
    Interesting reading about everyone's decisions theyre having to make. I cant decide between Bristol and Liverpool- my mum thinks i should go to Bristol but dad thinks Liverpool. AGGGHHH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshhardwick81)
    Interesting reading about everyone's decisions theyre having to make. I cant decide between Bristol and Liverpool- my mum thinks i should go to Bristol but dad thinks Liverpool. AGGGHHH!
    Don't listen to anyone else (although I just want to scream LIVERPOOL at you :rolleyes:)

Surely you must have a feeling about one of them? Just go with your initial instinct.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be an RVC vet after my gap year!...

Bristol didnt want me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Im going to be an RVC vet after my gap year!...

Bristol didnt want me!
    RVC's better anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshhardwick81)
    ha thats teh same for me, my dads liek BRISTOL BRISTOL BRISTOL and mum keeps saying horrible things about bristol and encouraging me to go to edinburgh lol.

well i will worry about EMS a bit more when i get to vet school, i would think i could be excempt from a few things maybe, but who knows, just interesting to find out about it all

ReputationRep:
    Bristol does the foster practice scheme

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.