Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Quite a long shot...but hoping one of you knows the website I mean, cos I can't find it!

I've found a website before that had lots of pretty standard ops and procedures explained, with photos of the operations throughout. But I can't find it now...does anyone know the one I mean. I can't really remember much else about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    I'm guessing you've done work experience with an army vet, what sort of things did you do, they do?! I would love to be an army vet
    I want to be an army vet
    I didn't get work experience with one, its almost impossible because of security stuff, but I went to a sort of 'Open Day' at the Defence Animal Centre, which was really interesting.
    Obviously its almost all horses and dogs. The protection dogs are so, so scary! They did the demos of them for us, where they set them on the bloke in a padded suit
    Looks like a great job to me, not that lonely really, and I love that sort of 'lifestyle' with all the sports and activty opportunities and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Is the current aim to attempt to control Bovine TB by means of a vaccination? Would this be for both cattle and badgers?

Also-does anyone know how often cattle are tested for bovine TB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    The adverts for Slankets make me lol I didn't know that's what they were called tho :rolleyes:
    Ahhh I haven't seen the adverts....obviously don't watch enough tv...:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    no idea soz Kook
    I found some immense power points on caeseran before...but cant find it anymore either...

ypu lot seam to be well revising for these interviews, maby I should join you, I'll take my scrap book to the shed tonight I think, the only things I'm dead shiffty about are big ops, coz I havn't really seen that much, or Equine stuff, so i hope I don't get asked...

Organic farming...yes please!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Is the current aim to attempt to control Bovine TB by means of a vaccination? Would this be for both cattle and badgers?
    Check out the deffra page...will expalin it better than I, coz I'll just give my opinion!!
    but vaccinations for badgers available in 2010, for cows not till 2015....

also i would not say that vaccinating is the ;current' in thing, coz in Wales we've started culling Badgers...

ReputationRep:

I live in Wales and in the county next to us, a badger cull is planned to control TB here. Its in farmers weekly and I found some info about it on defra. Intresting because when I did research I found that Anglesey has a large amount of bovine TB and yet there are no badgers. The cull is planned for after the breeding season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    Check out the deffra page...will expalin it better than I, coz I'll just give my opinion!!

also i would not say that vaccinating is the ;current' in thing, coz in Wales we've started culling Badgers...
    OK, thanks. I did look a bit on defra, but it doesn't seem that there are any major control proceedures that have been used to prevent the spread of it. Regular tests are carried out on cattle, to allow early identification, but then these cattle are then culled, and the rest of the herd isolated and then vaccinated. Before the suggestion of culling, and to have this as a sustained means of control, were there any other measures to control its spread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostwithoutyou)
    I live in Wales and in the county next to us, a badger cull is planned to control TB here. Its in farmers weekly and I found some info about it on defra. Intresting because when I did research I found that Anglesey has a large amount of bovine TB and yet there are no badgers. The cull is planned for after the breeding season.
    shii just saw ur rejection off Glas thats crappy!!!
    is there a lot of TB in Anlesey, I did not know that..
    there is around where i'm living now, and my dad doesn't want me near our cows when I'm home untill I've disenfected all my stuff...

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks. I did look a bit on defra, but it doesn't seem that there are any major control proceedures that have been used to prevent the spread of it. Regular tests are carried out on cattle, to allow early identification, but then these cattle are then culled, and the rest of the herd isolated and then vaccinated. Before the suggestion of culling, and to have this as a sustained means of control, were there any other measures to control its spread?
    i think they are starting tests of vaccinating badgers in six areas of the country with a high incidence of TB this summer.

ReputationRep:
    before we only had to test our cattle every 4 years because we were in a 'free zone' but now every farm has to test 60 days prior to moving cattle, and test every year I think, so regulations have become much strickter....
    and I heard here for the first time that you get green sales and red sales at market, at red ones, all the stock that are sold on that day must go straight to the slaughter house (coz they havn't been pre-tested), on the green days, you can exchange stock from farm to farm...feel free to correct me on this..

to be honest nothing has never really worked with controling its spread coz it's worst now than it has ever been, so thats why they are planning on culling again, coz it might be a factor that did slow down the spread in the past!

so nope no other measure that I'm aware of

ReputationRep:

Vets from the BVA have been applauding the cull, but now apparently it's not a very cost effective way as this culling costs more than two or three times more than money that the farmer/government save. Killing them through using fumigation with carbon monoxide isn't that humane either. :rolleyes:

Is it the cow vaccine in 2015 or the oral badger vaccine? I thought it was the orla badger vaccine :o:

It seems they're trying a integrated approach....one method alone won't crack bTB. Vaccination is another way to reduce the spread but it won't stop it

Cattle are tested every 4 years in low risk areas and 1-2 years in high risk areas

Edit: Sorry x_dwin_ffeimys_x didn't see your post

ReputationRep:
    the cattle vaccine will be finished by the summer, however, because this government is shiii and joined the EU, it will take 4 years to get the legislation, its a bonking joke!!!

the oral vaccines already out, its called paracetamol

OH, not to rub it in beth, but...

WE'VE GOT TWO WINS YOU'VE GOT ONE DOO DAA DOO DAA!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommygunsvet)
    the cattle vaccine will be finished by the summer, however, because this government is shiii and joined the EU, it will take 4 years to get the legislation, its a bonking joke!!!

the oral vaccines already out, its called paracetamol
    I don't get it :o: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shedlife)
    Vets from the BVA have been applauding the cull, but now apparently it's not a very cost effective way as this culling costs more than two or three times more than money that the farmer/government save. Killing them through using fumigation with carbon monoxide isn't that humane either. :rolleyes:

Is it the cow vaccine in 2015 or the oral badger vaccine? I thought it was the orla badger vaccine :o:

It seems they're trying a integrated approach....one method alone won't crack bTB. Vaccination is another way to reduce the spread but it won't stop it

Cattle are tested every 4 years in low risk areas and 1-2 years in high risk areas

Edit: Sorry x_dwin_ffeimys_x didn't see your post
    Yes, I was just wondering how they are actually culled. Is it a random process?
    And yes, it doesn't seem to be cost effective. Because wouldn't it have to be sustained. The culling would need to be a continous process surely?

ReputationRep:
    shii just saw ur rejection off Glas thats crappy!!!
    is there a lot of TB in Anlesey, I did not know that..
    there is around where i'm living now, and my dad doesn't want me near our cows when I'm home untill I've disenfected all my stuff...
    Its ok, I expected it to be honest, I had no where else I wanted to apply and the course looked really good so I gave it a shot Yea I did some research a while back and found some info on it.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2010/0...n-in-April.htm Thats the link I was looking for

ReputationRep:
    before we only had to test our cattle every 4 years because we were in a 'free zone' but now every farm has to test 60 days prior to moving cattle, and test every year I think, so regulations have become much strickter....
    and I heard here for the first time that you get green sales and red sales at market, at red ones, all the stock that are sold on that day must go straight to the slaughter house (coz they havn't been pre-tested), on the green days, you can exchange stock from farm to farm...feel free to correct me on this..

to be honest nothing has never really worked with controling its spread coz it's worst now than it has ever been, so thats why they are planning on culling again, coz it might be a factor that did slow down the spread in the past!

so nope no other measure that I'm aware of
    Ok. Thanks
    Are you for or against culling btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    i think they are starting tests of vaccinating badgers in six areas of the country with a high incidence of TB this summer.
    Off topic-but I so love your picture :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thought this might interest anyone applying to RVC (or just anyone in general): http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...97/294871.html
    However, that the owner's classed bone scanning as 'routine' is pretty surprising!

ReputationRep:
    Okay no vet news for me , but I wanted to say I have had such a fab weekend and have met someone I really like Finially getting over my arse of a ex lol

OMG I working Monday to Saturday next week so wnt be on much.. oh well thats another £275 ish :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.