• PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I haven't got the accom yet

ReputationRep:
    We did some immunology stuff recently which was related to inbreeding, very interesting. An important part of the immune response involves a molecule called MHC which, depending on the genetics of an individual, can only respond to a certain set of pathogens. And we were learning about inbred populations and how they have very little MHC variation, so would be susceptible to the same pathogens if their MHC versions couldn't respond to them etc etc.
    I'm using it to talk about infectious diseases. I love this sort of thing!
    Although I'm pretty sure I complained a lot when we first started it lol. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    people who were rejected post-interview for liverpool....what reason does your UCAS track show??

mine says this "Selection for interview is made on a competitive basis. Your work experience
    score was not as high
    as those applicants who were called for interview."

um, yeah thanks, but I had an interview :confused:
    is that just the generic thing they send out to all unsuccessful applicants???

gonna write to them for ACTUAL feedback :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    mine says "Your interview score was not as high as those applicants who were made an offer." which was kinda obvious.
    i'm gonna ask them for feedback too, i want to see if i did better than last year

ReputationRep:
    as if mine doesn't even say interview score. pffft.
    pretty sure i didn't imagine my interview :indiff:

gonna write to them anyway for more detailed feedback for next year xxx

ReputationRep:
    I jus booked my accommodation, the pictures make the rooms look sooo nicceee!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    people who were rejected post-interview for liverpool....what reason does your UCAS track show??

mine says this "Selection for interview is made on a competitive basis. Your work experience
    score was not as high
    as those applicants who were called for interview."

um, yeah thanks, but I had an interview :confused:
    is that just the generic thing they send out to all unsuccessful applicants???

gonna write to them for ACTUAL feedback :rolleyes:
    To be fair, that's better than what Bristol put on my rejection thing from UCAS.

It said this:

"Reason given for this rejection:

Your application has been unsuccessful."

Really? I hadn't noticed :p:

I've heard Liverpool are fairly good at giving feedback, so maybe email them?

ReputationRep:
    last year liverpool said in theri feedback which stations were good and bad so it was easy to see where to improve, didnt help me though :P

ReputationRep:
    aaah yeh both rvc and bristol put 'your application has been unsuccessful' on my track.
    im deffo gonna email them though.
    although i know which station was well and truely bad,,,the case study one. it's left me mentally scarred.

ReputationRep:
    ah going to the vets didnt help with my deciding AT ALL now its making me panic!!

ReputationRep:
    RVC or Liverpool for Bioveterinary Science? struggling with which to firm.

ReputationRep:
    emailed liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nat888)
    I would firm which ever u would prefer to study veterinary med. at.. coz u'l have an advantage when u apply (if thats what u wanna do) So maybe RVC coz grad fees are lower? x

ReputationRep:
    Well I did A level biology only a couple of years ago, we did genetics but I don't remember doing inbreeding. My answer was that undesirable recessive genes are more likely, but she just said 'yes but on a genetic level?' Hmmm dunno! No point nit picking now, just wondering how in depth I need to learn everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    I would firm which ever u would prefer to study veterinary med. at.. coz u'l have an advantage when u apply (if thats what u wanna do) So maybe RVC coz grad fees are lower? x

Thing is I'm not interested in doing grad entry vet, so i'm a bit stuck with which is best in general terms. Have little preference at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    ah going to the vets didnt help with my deciding AT ALL now its making me panic!!
    Why are you panicking? You have time, Rach, it will all be fine :yep:
    What did they say?

(Original post by hollykb)
    Well I did A level biology only a couple of years ago, we did genetics but I don't remember doing inbreeding. My answer was that undesirable recessive genes are more likely, but she just said 'yes but on a genetic level?' Hmmm dunno! No point nit picking now, just wondering how in depth I need to learn everything
    I think interviews are a lot of luck. I didn't have much luck in my Bristol one because they asked about the one bit of work experience I didn't know in as much depth: pig farming. I had a bit of luck in Liverpool. At one station, they showed me some pictures and told me to choose one. I chose a picture of an elephant in a cage and she said "Oh, thank god, nearly every other person today has chosen lab rats or intensive farming, it's nice to be different." Then I sort of directed the interview and talked about how I wanted to do the MSc in Veterinary Conservation Medicine and I was really bigging up the course and talking about specific modules in it that I was interested in, and it turns out the woman interviewing me actually ran that course! So that station went pretty well. I don't think the other stations went well, but having a bit a luck at the very first station definitely helped.

I don't think you need to learn everything in huge amounts of detail, just be able to talk confidently about things in a fairly basic amount of detail and then know everything you've mentioned in your personal statement in as much detail as possible. Just try and link everything to things you've seen on work experience, and try and direct the interview in a way you'd like it to go.

I assume you've visited both? Which did you have a better feel for? Also, there is a big difference in living costs. London is obviously hugely expensive (although you get a larger loan) and Liverpool is fairly inexpensive. RVC is arguably more prestigious and has a very good reputation for research. Facilities at both are top notch. At Liverpool, you'd probably be more integrated with other students from different courses, and if that sort of student life appeals more to you, then that might be a good option.

The best thing to do is to visit them both again, and see which you have a better feel for. They are both very good universities, and I'm sure you'll love wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is I'm not interested in doing grad entry vet, so i'm a bit stuck with which is best in general terms. Have little preference at the moment.
    They are both amazing... but i would chose RVC.. i knw some RVC biovets who are intercalating at my uni and they love it! But i knw that liverpool were the first uni to introduce the course.. so maybe they r the leaders in the field? And u never knw.. even though u dnt want to be a vet at the moment, u might change ur mind throughout the course.. x:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Get a marquee thingy on hire - makeshift lambing shed!

Done my first lot of injections (IM and sub cut) and drenched some sheepies today, I know it doesn't seem a lot to most but I have absolutely no farming background so lambing is all very very exciting! Ringed, numbered and delivered some yesterday too
    Since you havn't seen our farm I'm not goign to laugh at this suggestion, coz youa re right for most lower ground sheep farmers its a very good idea!

I was digging sheep out of meters of snow today, one was down with calcium, but the injection was in the quad and I couldnt drive it up coz the snow was higher than its wheels, by the time I got to the Quad and back to the ewe she was ******* dead!! >
    all other sheep alive though, bless the lambs all I could see were their head bobbing up and down, welsh mountians are tuff buggers! I love them!!
    We got the last gang of 300 down from the mountian top to the lower ground today, so their in 2" of snow instead of 2 meters haha.
    Overall succesfull day me thinks even though 100 ewes are stil in the pen, and we need to sort them out after tea

ReputationRep:
    first of all i spoke to a bristol grad who qualified about 5 years ago, she sed she loved it, loved the city etc etc BUT she knows they have had problems, have been told to improve and she sed i shud be aware of this and although she doesnt no any details i should bear this in mind when making my decision, although she thinks i'll still choose bristol.

i then spoke to an RVC grad who hadnt heard anything about bristols problems, he waas more ah yeh just go wherever, but dont be tempted to go home all the time if yr in bristol cuz u;ll enjoy it more if u dont sorta thing.

hmm they didnt really recomend, but they werent overly keen on me pickign bristol until i find out a few more facts, so im off to do that now, im just panicking cuz it feels like such an important decision and nw i feeel like whichever i choose its gona be wrong in some ways :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    first of all i spoke to a bristol grad who qualified about 5 years ago, she sed she loved it, loved the city etc etc BUT she knows they have had problems, have been told to improve and she sed i shud be aware of this and although she doesnt no any details i should bear this in mind when making my decision, although she thinks i'll still choose bristol.

i then spoke to an RVC grad who hadnt heard anything about bristols problems, he waas more ah yeh just go wherever, but dont be tempted to go home all the time if yr in bristol cuz u;ll enjoy it more if u dont sorta thing.

hmm they didnt really recomend, but they werent overly keen on me pickign bristol until i find out a few more facts, so im off to do that now, im just panicking cuz it feels like such an important decision and nw i feeel like whichever i choose its gona be wrong in some ways :o:

aw its so hard to make a decision but which ever you chose you WILL be so happy and u'l make an AMAZING vet - there really isnt much between them, so just got on which ever feels right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.