Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    meh - achey arms tonight.

spent the day helping to orf scratch and drench the early lambing flock and the lambs are getting heavy to catch and pick up!! not looking forward to having to do the main flock later...there is far too many lambs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    and nope havnt decided on a uni yet, Samz, hows the deciding going for you????
    Oooooh don't go there :o: I'm really not getting anywhere. It's driving me mad now!!!! I dunnnoooooo what to do............

I am well and truly confused

Which one are you leaning towards at the mo???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfall)
    haha u must be patient! :p: and come live in d+r with me (thats hoping i get my first choice)
    I'm deffo going in Derby and Rathbone if I can.
    What is your name so I can remember to run around and find you if we both get in the same halls?
    Whoop whoop. it would be cool to be near by to somebody who is doing the same course so you can share notes/books and they can wake you up to go to lectures. :P

ReputationRep:
    10 days until some of us have a very drunken outing wheeeeeey.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by *Nico*)
    What is your name so I can remember to run around and find you if we both get in the same halls?
    Whoop whoop. it would be cool to be near by to somebody who is doing the same course so you can share notes/books and they can wake you up to go to lectures. :P
    I want to go in D & G self catered ensuite .

ReputationRep:
    Done my student finance, sent off everything, now dying from reading about neurones again. :woo:

I feel like this is slowing down my nerve impulses cause it takes me sooo long to understand anything here!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    If you need help with nerves, I'd be glad to help.

ReputationRep:
    Drunk outing, wehaaaaaay x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samz56)
    Oooooh don't go there :o: I'm really not getting anywhere. It's driving me mad now!!!! I dunnnoooooo what to do............

I am well and truly confused

Which one are you leaning towards at the mo???
    im pretty much decided on bristol now, i spoke to my bestest vet who has helped me HUGELY thoughout the last year, i met him after i had been rejected and he was just fanastic, he works at the vets that rivals the one we use, he had no need to help me, he didnt no me and we werent even a client but he took me on and helped me more than my vets did, he cared so much, he rangme the night before my first interview, did interview practise, took me to see some amazing work exp and wrote me a great reference, he also recomended me and got me my lambing job. I trust what he says and he knows this bristol lecturuer that i met, he sed that he thinks i shud go to bristol, in 3 years time he sed they will have new staff, new experts and it will not disadvantage me AT ALL by going to bristol over edinburgh and he sed he understands why i would want to be close to home etc and thinks i shud just go for it, so im going to

BRISTOLLLLLLLLL here i come (alothugh im still not sure enough to actually firm it :o: )

sam u gona have a look at RVC and Bristol???

also.. anyone know where u can get clothes from, like coats and hoodies with vet school logos on??? I really neeeeeeeeed a coat (my 2 coats r going in the bin after lambing as they are ripped to shreds and id rather buy a vet school one now to save me money when i get there ) so yeh i need to buy a new one.. cant wait to get paid for this lambing... 5 more days :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have a vet like this, one specifically but all the others are great as well. We aren't clients but they have all helped me so much. But what I actually quoted you to say was that on Sat night I was talking to my friend who went to RVC, and she said that the woman who has been brought in to sort out Bristol (forgotten her name, sorry!) is an ex-RVC anatomy lecturer, and apparently she is really "This is what we are going to do, this is how we are going to do it, and this is the timescale", so now fuss, no arguments, she just gets on and does it. My friend basically said that we would have absolutely nothing to worry about, and that the vet school could not be in better hands right now! So it's all looking good!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    I have a vet like this, one specifically but all the others are great as well. We aren't clients but they have all helped me so much. But what I actually quoted you to say was that on Sat night I was talking to my friend who went to RVC, and she said that the woman who has been brought in to sort out Bristol (forgotten her name, sorry!) is an ex-RVC anatomy lecturer, and apparently she is really "This is what we are going to do, this is how we are going to do it, and this is the timescale", so now fuss, no arguments, she just gets on and does it. My friend basically said that we would have absolutely nothing to worry about, and that the vet school could not be in better hands right now! So it's all looking good!!!
    i like this alot :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm here too!!!

Yippeeee Rach, that's great news I'm also really lucky, I've never done work exp at the vets we use as they're a big and very busy practise and when I rang up the practise manager was so rude to me i never bothered again, as had such a lovely large animal practise quite near, who my dad knew several of the vets/practise manager and all his clients were clients of theirs too, several of the vets are soooo kind to me and show me reallu amazing things and go out of their way to be extra helpful to me, I feel soooooo lucky. It was so nice when they said to me when i went on my last day there from my regular once a week thing, when they said, next time you come to see practise you will be a vet student (even though i didn't have my grades at the time) and then they said you better come back, don't forget us! Which was really kind.

Aaaahhhh, I'm going to new zealand in 4 days..... thats toooo soon!!!! Although I am mega excited

ReputationRep:
    also.. anyone know where u can get clothes from, like coats and hoodies with vet school logos on??? I really neeeeeeeeed a coat (my 2 coats r going in the bin after lambing as they are ripped to shreds and id rather buy a vet school one now to save me money when i get there ) so yeh i need to buy a new one.. cant wait to get paid for this lambing... 5 more days :yep:
    We order these every year, so you'll need to wait till you get here I'm afraid.
    For the hoody, each year, a design for the back is picked out of ones that people have done (bit like a drawing competition really!).
    The coats are usually ordered some time at the start of the year, and I'm pretty sure an email is sent round asking who wants one, then someone comes round with ones to try on so you can then place your order. I advise getting the coat, it is amazing! It's one of the warmest and most waterproof coats I've ever owned!

As for all this talk about Bristol 'not being as good as other unis', it's a load of bull. Every few years one of the vet schools is slated for not being good enough (usually due to old facilities), then they spend loads of money to improve it, and are then seen as one of the best vet schools! That happened to liverpool a few years ago, and the same is happening to Bristol. (I'm sure it's the on-site dairy farm that's being slated - yes it is old and needs re-doing, but that's a minor issue in the whole scale of things. Also, to me, it just looks like a few of the bog standard farms that I've been to).
    Some of the facilities here are great, in terms of the pre-clinical site - we have a barn (in the middle of Bristol city!) with large and small animals, the best anatomy museum in the country, and we have one of the best anatomy departments overall with a dog per 4 people, then horse/cow per 8 people, and finally rabbits/chickens/guinea pigs/rats per 4 people in dissections.
    The staff here are some of the best in the country, e.g. Richard Wall is one of our parasitology lecturers, and he's the co-writer of veterinary parasitology, pretty much the only vet parasitology book out there, Gerold Coles (another parasitologist) who is currently one of the leading people in parasite control, Alistair Barr who is one of the leading equine orthopaedic surgeons in the country, the list could go on!

Ok, rant over, I shall be quiet now :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was also extreamly lucky. I managed to get some work experience on our farm vets and a uni lecture from liverpool worked part time there, so told me the sort of questions they ask. I also went to small animal vets who didnt know me. He gave me loads of help with my PS and interview training. It turned out he had been interviewing at liverpool 2 weeks before my interview, so he also gave me lots of help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karate_kat)
    For the hoody, each year, a design for the back is picked out of ones that people have done (bit like a drawing competition really!).
    The coats are usually ordered some time at the start of the year, and I'm pretty sure an email is sent round asking who wants one, then someone comes round with ones to try on so you can then place your order. I advise getting the coat, it is amazing! It's one of the warmest and most waterproof coats I've ever owned!

As for all this talk about Bristol 'not being as good as other unis', it's a load of bull. Every few years one of the vet schools is slated for not being good enough (usually due to old facilities), then they spend loads of money to improve it, and are then seen as one of the best vet schools! That happened to liverpool a few years ago, and the same is happening to Bristol. (I'm sure it's the on-site dairy farm that's being slated - yes it is old and needs re-doing, but that's a minor issue in the whole scale of things. Also, to me, it just looks like a few of the bog standard farms that I've been to).
    Some of the facilities here are great, in terms of the pre-clinical site - we have a barn (in the middle of Bristol city!) with large and small animals, the best anatomy museum in the country, and we have one of the best anatomy departments overall with a dog per 4 people, then horse/cow per 8 people, and finally rabbits/chickens/guinea pigs/rats per 4 people in dissections.
    The staff here are some of the best in the country, e.g. Richard Wall is one of our parasitology lecturers, and he's the co-writer of veterinary parasitology, pretty much the only vet parasitology book out there, Gerold Coles (another parasitologist) who is currently one of the leading people in parasite control, Alistair Barr who is one of the leading equine orthopaedic surgeons in the country, the list could go on!

ah awesome! i'll have to buy a cheap coat to last me til october, if we had a proper summer i wudnt need one, dam the british summer weather!!!

oooh im so excited about vet schoooooool!

ReputationRep:

Some of the facilities here are great, in terms of the pre-clinical site - we have a barn (in the middle of Bristol city!) with large and small animals, the best anatomy museum in the country, and we have one of the best anatomy departments overall with a dog per 4 people, then horse/cow per 8 people, and finally rabbits/chickens/guinea pigs/ rats per 4 people in dissections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Nico*)
    im chloe botting... add me on facebook!
    only like 5 and a half months til vet schooooooooool :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    10 days until some of us have a very drunken outing wheeeeeey.
    Yay! Buzzing for it :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurzyk)
    I'm sorry, but dissection is the best way to learn the anatomy of all the animals.
    None of the animals we get are killed for us though, they've been killed/had died for another reason.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but dissection is the best way to learn the anatomy of all the animals.
    None of the animals we get are killed for us though, they've been killed/had died for another reason.

I'm totally fine with dissection, I tend to freak out my mates at school with how much I like doing it. :yep:

It's just that it's guinea pigs...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.