Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Camden isnt the best part of london..its a bit grotty and always full of tourists (i live 5 mins away) and if u prefer rural landscapes and not into urban life - maybe London isnt for you.

However, Camden is so close to everything- any park you can think of in london is maximum 30 mins on the tube plus, you have hampstead heath, primrose hill and regents park within walking distance, (not to mention the rest of London on ur doorstep!) xx

ReputationRep:
    ooo sam firm liverpoool you know you want to

ReputationRep:
    are all the unis staff on holiday for the same amount of time that the students are??? literally just realised theyre not in! thicko.com.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by samz56)
    Sounds good what other sorts of sports teams do they have? Also - sorry I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions - do you get to mix with non-vetty people from the other uni's, if you see what I mean? I was just a bit concerned it might get a bit too vet intense

I'm sort of clutching at straws here, trying to find anything that will help me to make my mind up :o:

Thanks for any help you can give me
    Well in first year, I chose intercolliagiate halls. Which are run by ULU (the university of london union) and are a massive mix of students from all the london unis/courses. There are about 5 vets total in each of these halls! Im really glad I picked this as it meant i did know students other than vets pretty well, and I kept up with them. I did live with vet students in my 2nd and 3rd year, just for convienience but a few of my friends lived with other students from our halls.

I think as long as you try, its easy enough to mix with non vetty people. There are plenty of ULU clubs, which are open to all london uni students. There are also ULU union bars, and club nights etc (although FINALLY camden campus will be getting its own bar! and also has a mini gym on campus now which is great)

However if you get lazy it is easy to slip into 'vet only' lifestyle!

I think it is alot easier to mingle with other people when you are in london, versus potters bar. But then I'm assuming this is the same for most vet schools when you get into clinical years.

Sports teams: RVC have many of their own, and if you are more serious about a sport, or want to mingle with other people ULU have hundreds, too!

RVC have hockey, rugby, womans rugby, football, badminton, tennis, athletics, polo, horse riding and way more. ULU have pretty much every club you can think of (including random things like canoe polo, which i tried! It's brutal haha) There is NO limit to the clubs you can join around london!

Sure, am good to answer any questions you have. I will be such an old timer rvc student haha, going to spend 7 years total there! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    Camden isnt the best part of london..its a bit grotty and always full of tourists (i live 5 mins away) and if u prefer rural landscapes and not into urban life - maybe London isnt for you.

However, Camden is so close to everything- any park you can think of in london is maximum 30 mins on the tube plus, you have hampstead heath, primrose hill and regents park within walking distance, (not to mention the rest of London on ur doorstep!) xx
    richmond park and bushy park arent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    richmond park and bushy park arent

lol okay , not EVERY park but lots! okay?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    i went to the premiere of the infidel this evening
    how was it?
    I really wanna go and see it, looks so good

ReputationRep:
    heyy
    just had a random urge to come back to TSR after not posting on here for agesss, I want to start up with all the vetty chit chat to get me motivated again for september, a lots been going on and i feel like im losing myself a bit, sooo yesterday i went to watch some ops at my uncles surgery which was a real boost and now ive returned to the wonderful world of the student room for that extra bit of kapowww, also I just found 2 emails from RVC in my inbox about accomodation and a medical something or other but I dont think its a good idea to attempt to fill it out when im this tired haha but its making everything seem scarily real again!!
    Hope everyones well
    Oh i'm Laura by the way, not sure if theres any of last years applicants lurking around that will know me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to the orkney islands lambing for 2 weeks now, probably with no internet.
    see you all when i get back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurasaurus)
    heyy
    just had a random urge to come back to TSR after not posting on here for agesss, I want to start up with all the vetty chit chat to get me motivated again for september, a lots been going on and i feel like im losing myself a bit, sooo yesterday i went to watch some ops at my uncles surgery which was a real boost and now ive returned to the wonderful world of the student room for that extra bit of kapowww, also I just found 2 emails from RVC in my inbox about accomodation and a medical something or other but I dont think its a good idea to attempt to fill it out when im this tired haha but its making everything seem scarily real again!!
    Hope everyones well
    Oh i'm Laura by the way, not sure if theres any of last years applicants lurking around that will know me!
    Heyy!! Welcome back! I remember you......although I never posted much when you were on here last year :p: I'm a third time applicant and now have two unconditionals for RVC and Liv, but don't know which one to choose. I think I remember you having quite a few offers last year :confused: if I'm right - what made you go for RVC in the end??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samz56)
    Heyy!! Welcome back! I remember you......although I never posted much when you were on here last year :p: I'm a third time applicant and now have two unconditionals for RVC and Liv, but don't know which one to choose. I think I remember you having quite a few offers last year :confused: if I'm right - what made you go for RVC in the end??
    Hellooo I remember you :p:
    Mega congratulations on your offers-your determination has paid off I bet you're over the moon
    Last year I had offers from RVC and Bristol, and an offer for the RVC gateway too. The first thing I thought I should decide was what to do with the gateway offer, like should I use it as a backup incase I flop my exams, and in the end I just thought no Ive got 2 offers for the 5 year course I might aswel use them. But choosing between Bristol and RVC was an absolute nightmare lol I had sheets of paper all round my room where i'd tried writing down the possitive points and negatives of each, the prospectus's were out, the accomodation was out, everything lol
    In the end I chose RVC because although I liked Bristol better as a city, I absolutley fell in love with the camden and hawkshead campus's! And looking at all the facilities there just gobsmacked me, it's somewhere where I really feel the style of teaching suits me better as the course is meant to be slightly more hands on than at Bristol. And I thought well i'm only going to be in London 5 years of my life, and I do love London I think it'll give me a real good student experience for those first 2 years in the city, then when i'm ready to reign myself in it'll be off to the countryside so it's the best of both. And I can always chose to go and live in Bristol later on in life anyway Also, with the accomodation in London you pretty much know your going to end up in either M.B or C.G as long as their first of second choices, and they are both amazing, wheras with Bristol theres loads of different places-some not so great-and you have competition from students from all sorts of other courses so you don't really know where you're going to get a place.
    Hope that kindof makes a bit of sense, i've only just got out of bed i'm being very lazy today :p: haha
    what are the things that you like at RVC and Liverpool? Its usually a good start to list them all down, then start looking at the things you don't like at each one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurasaurus)
    welcome back tsr's gone quiet recently, now everyones got offers they've all run away!
    mind you im gonna be running away soon :p: hopefully i'll get interntet access in canada
    cornwall is sooooo sunny today im attempting to tan my pastey legs lol

ReputationRep:
    I finished lambing yesterday It was brilliant and the weather was amazing! I really want to go back there for ems but apparently bristol organise it for you so I will have to wait and see... I saw one of the vets I did work experience with yesterday. He was really pleased for me and was telling me how much fun my sister is going to have at Liverpool! (thats where he went! lol!) Tickets for Badminton have also arrived today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfall)
    welcome back tsr's gone quiet recently, now everyones got offers they've all run away!
    mind you im gonna be running away soon :p: hopefully i'll get interntet access in canada
    Hiya
    yeah there doesn't seem to be nearly as much posting as last year!
    oooo canada- nice how long are you going for? i'm very jealous :p:
    it's pretty sunny over here in wolverhampton too! But i'm not even going to attempt to tan my milk bottle legs because I know i've got no chance of it working lol

ReputationRep:
    im going for a month but i checked the weather there this morning and its snowing! wtf!
    who's betting on the national today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfall)
    I'm in my hot pants driving the quad around the fields!! so cool :cool:
    untill my bro decided to go like 100mph on the main road with me screaming my head off, and tourists looking weird at us! haha....Still have fake tan on since last night as well so my legs look a bit brown

ReputationRep:
    i just sent the perfect card to my lambing placement....
    on the front it says "Thank Ewe" and inside it says baaa very much. as if they sold one that was so fitting lol. my lambing people we so nice though...makes me smile thinking about the wet/snowy days there

and im loving this sunny weather. it's confusing me greatly though as im not used to it!!
    gonna go watch the football later at the pub
    most of my friends are at wembley

ReputationRep:
    hey laura hope your feeling better now, u must be excited about RVC

ive now had 4 ofers to come back and do lambing for EMS, 2 of which sed they wud try and apply to get a bristol student just to have me to come back lol and the other already has bristol students each year and hey really want me to go!

finished my lambing for 2010 now :woo: another £700 for the uni savings (or beer fund )

i am hoping to go to badminton this year (couldnt last year because of a family wedding, i wasnt amused!) but i havnt got round to actually oprganising it and ordering tickets :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)

ive now had 4 ofers to come back and do lambing for EMS, 2 of which sed they wud try and apply to get a bristol student just to have me to come back lol and the other already has bristol students each year and hey really want me to go!

finished my lambing for 2010 now :woo: another £700 for the uni savings (or beer fund )

i am hoping to go to badminton this year (couldnt last year because of a family wedding, i wasnt amused!) but i havnt got round to actually oprganising it and ordering tickets :/
    Brought mine yesterday! Just going for the Cross country thou :yes:
    Always a great day out, and you have to do the skinny jeans with wellies :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)

hey rachy yeah things are improving thanks i've been really confused about whether or not I want to go to uni with all thats gone on, but ive been looking on the RVC website & its got me all excited again I DEFINITLEY cant wait it's only a few months away now and its all feeling scarily real again-in a good way
    You must be pretty dam good at lambing, im jealous i'm terrible at tipping sheep lol How many weeks have you done of lambing this year?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.