Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always used to grab the back leg to tip sheep, but apparently you can't do that in vet school, you have to bend the head right back or something!

ReputationRep:
    yeah when i went lambing the farmers kindof pull the sheeps head round to the side so its facing backwards, and then kindof just tip the sheep onto its side, they make it look sooo easy but i've never got the hang of it :p:

ReputationRep:
    damn black apalachi came second o well i wasnt far off :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't manage to tip any sheep - they laid down instead :p:
    For some reason I have a wierd swelling near a tiny cut on my arm, and it's getting progressively redder, strange!

ReputationRep:
    My lambing is also over for this year always really keen for some action with sheep.... :o:

We also get a really good team of people too; been with a couple of vet students from RVC for the past two years and also some wanna be vet students. We always have a good laugh; scarey to think that next year me and a fellow prospective Liverpool or Edinburgh vet student will be the most experienced there....bar the farmer, who isn't actually there that much :p:

I found half a lamb...I presume a fox had had it. Anyway most people would be like "ewwww that's horrible" but me and a girl from RVC were having a good look inside at it's heart and I think what was left of it's Liver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurasaurus)
    hey rachy yeah things are improving thanks i've been really confused about whether or not I want to go to uni with all thats gone on, but ive been looking on the RVC website & its got me all excited again I DEFINITLEY cant wait it's only a few months away now and its all feeling scarily real again-in a good way
    You must be pretty dam good at lambing, im jealous i'm terrible at tipping sheep lol How many weeks have you done of lambing this year?
    Awww yeah definatly go to uni, new start and lots of good times to be had,and u'll be awesome at all the vetty stuff
    RVC website is really good, bristols is pretty pants :p:
    I cant beleive its april already, gap years FLY BY and vet school is just around the corner :woo:

Ive done nearly 6 weeks lambing now this year (2.5 weeks night shifts and 3 weeks day shifts) £1500 i have earnt, its been awesome, but very very hard work, im so tired now, gona sleep for the next week :yes: tipping sheep is errr, not easy, some just dont want to be tipped, the worst are ones that get up and run away when yr in the middle of trying to lamb them!

am i the only one that still feels the need to check tsr everytime i go on the computer although i know there wont be any news :o:

was also gona ask, has anyone who got an offer after being onhold for bristol received a letter or anything about their offer? ive had nothing but the UCAS update

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    I didn't manage to tip any sheep - they laid down instead :p:
    For some reason I have a wierd swelling near a tiny cut on my arm, and it's getting progressively redder, strange!
    are u lambing?

i had a weird reaction to it this year, never had before, i got loads of pussy spotty things on my arm with red circles round the outside, i used my other arm to lamb sheep for a while and it went away with antiseptic cream was horrible. But yh if u are lambing be careful cuz u can catch nasty things from sheep :o:

ReputationRep:
    I've got a cut that seems to be going very dodgy from lambing, think it might be getting to the point where I should get it checked out, just am never actually around to go to a doctors.

Took a chunk out my finger a week ago, and it is now pus filled with a red circle around it which keeps getting big, I have worn a glove to lamb since I did it, but it is definatly not looking right.

Tried to keep it away from the lambs with orf as well....

ReputationRep:
    I got a weirdo thing from lambing as well, I had a very, very small paper cut on my arm and it went really red and swollen about three days in. I used my left arm until it went down but I can't do anything useful with that arm at all, it was so much harder having a feel and moving things around inside the sheep left-handed!

Also Rach, LM said at the talk that on-holders would just get a Track update, nothing else. Tbh I haven't had a letter either. And yeah, the Bristol website is pretty pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    are u lambing?

i had a weird reaction to it this year, never had before, i got loads of pussy spotty things on my arm with red circles round the outside, i used my other arm to lamb sheep for a while and it went away with antiseptic cream was horrible. But yh if u are lambing be careful cuz u can catch nasty things from sheep :o:
    Was lambing up until yesterday. It's a bit odd, feels really hot too. It's on the right arm so I can't have injected myself with anything, must be from placenta or something Need to go to the Doctors in a few weeks to sort out hayfever stuff (three piriton a day is not a good idea!) so if it sprouted tentacles or whatever by then I'll get them to have a look, lol.

I couldn't get on with gloves, they only had massive mens ones and I was scared I might lose one in the sheep :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    Also Rach, LM said at the talk that on-holders would just get a Track update, nothing else. Tbh I haven't had a letter either. And yeah, the Bristol website is pretty pants.
    I had a letter from Bristol a couple of weeks ago about accomodation and it said that someone will ring me sometime in the next few weeks to answer any questions I might have You will probably get one after the easter holidays.

I don't think I got anything from lambing but I was only there a week! I just came home with my arms covered in blue spray and then had to go to work in a pub! It took ages to get it all off!

ReputationRep:
    just wondering, how many people do use gloves whilst lambing? we did for everything, and i can't see any valid reason not to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    just wondering, how many people do use gloves whilst lambing? we did for everything, and i can't see any valid reason not to?
    When I did lambing we used gloves every time, those extremely stylish huge shoulder length orange ones lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurasaurus)
    When I did lambing we used gloves every time, those extremely stylish huge shoulder length orange ones lol
    haha yeah we had them too, people look so freaked out when they see you putting them on lol
    "you're putting your arm WHERE?!?"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    haha yeah we had them too, people look so freaked out when they see you putting them on lol
    "you're putting your arm WHERE?!?"
    Hmmm, I've never used them for normal lambing. Only ever used them if I know we'll be pulling out dead lambs. Even WITH the gloves the smell never seems to go away. ;/

I think it is alot easier to feel without the gloves, and yeah.. most of the gloves seem to be in mens sizes?

But I suppose gloves do lessen the chance of you catching something from the ewe, and the chance the ewe could get an infection from whatever may be on your hand.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i dont no anyone that will wear them, most farmers dont even where them for dead lambs but quite often they didnt lamb any other sheep for the rest of that day because they could pass something to a healthy sheep/lamb.

i think grip is one of the main reasons, and also where i was, id be tailing or doing something else and then id see a sheep with a head out and its more important to get there quickly and catch the sheep and get it off rather than faffing around finding a glove and putting it on, by the time u do that and catch the sheep the lamb culd be dead but i guess u cud keep one in yr pocket or something but what im trying to say is a glove is the last thing u think about when yr quickly trying to sort out a lambing problem .
    those big long gloves are AIing gloves, we have attractive blue ones haha

but id quite like to have a letter from bristol before i firm it :o: hmm... ah well :p:
    i got LOADS of stuff from ed/glas/liv when i got my offer

ReputationRep:
    None of us ever wore gloves when we were lambing either. We all wore them from strawing up the pens though! But yeah, I agree with Rach, it's such a massive effort to put one on, and the sooner you can get in and sort something out, the better. I really didn't mind it at all, and they had hot water so washing hands wasn't a problem.

Hmmm, I definitely haven't had that letter Moonlight! With any luck I will get that soon!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Just got back from Egypt, but I still feel a little crap. I was really ill, some viral thing that I caught off an Italian guy who was also there, and had to be put on a drip. Two drips, actually. I physically couldn't move for about 24 hours and couldn't eat for 48, which was such a shame because the food was amazing! I got very sunburnt too, and the reoccurring problem with my knee came back so I was hobbling around for the last day and at the airport. So, basically, I've come home more stressed than I was when I left and no tan :p:

On the days where nothing went wrong, it was fantastic, though

Still no Liverpool accommodation email >.<

ReputationRep:
    just found out they will be lambing on the farm im staying at here in Aus in May, thought i'd missed out this year! can't wait! Ahh life is good as a gap yearer

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally use gloves for lambing, like others have said, it tends to be the last thing I think about! Also, I can't seem to do a thing with them on, everything is always so slippery, tangled up and confusing anyway that I can do without huge gloves making it worse to hold anything and work out what anything is. There are some small wrist length gloves, but that length isn't much use, and the shoulder length ones are all massive!

Tbh, we probably aren't the best at the place I am at currently, there can be so many lambing at once that we don't tend to get round to washing hands in between sheep either. The other week there was often 10 ewes or so lambing at once, and a few would need help so it would be straight from one to another. We are more careful when there are dead/rotten lambs though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.