Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2010 applicants....APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS, OFFERS [Mark 2] watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!! (and goodbye!!)

Sorry I've not been very present over th elast week or so, have been pretty crazy busy with work/sorting myself out! How has this gap year raced through so quickly?! Anyway, I'm off to new zealand tomorrow for 3 months, this time next week I'll be milking in NZ, oh yeah!!

I didn't wear gloves when I was lambing, well rarely anyway, but as a result I did have to go to the Dr's for special cream cos my hands ended up in such a terrible dry cracked, sore state! Maybe next time I'll wear gloves, although I've said that the last 2 years!haha, the Dr's a sheep farmer too, she laughed at me when she saw my hands and said '@ know what you've been doing, didn't i tell you last year?!' *looks sheepish* haha

Right, I need to crack on with sorting my stuff out, tomorrow is seriously soon!! See you in Bristol guys I've been looking at accommodation as my rents will have to apply for me, I'm thinking self catered, single room, not bothered about en suite etc, just need to make a decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    hmm i dont no anyone that will wear them, most farmers dont even where them for dead lambs but quite often they didnt lamb any other sheep for the rest of that day because they could pass something to a healthy sheep/lamb.

i think grip is one of the main reasons, and also where i was, id be tailing or doing something else and then id see a sheep with a head out and its more important to get there quickly and catch the sheep and get it off rather than faffing around finding a glove and putting it on, by the time u do that and catch the sheep the lamb culd be dead but i guess u cud keep one in yr pocket or something but what im trying to say is a glove is the last thing u think about when yr quickly trying to sort out a lambing problem .
    those big long gloves are AIing gloves, we have attractive blue ones haha

but id quite like to have a letter from bristol before i firm it :o: hmm... ah well :p:
    i got LOADS of stuff from ed/glas/liv when i got my offer
    we always had gloves on us, the farmer wouldn't let us or himself go near the sheep to intervene without putting one on, even if you had to call someone to bring you one or go and get one and have to catch the sheep again. lol it's so strange how everyone does stuff so differently, u say it's the last thing you think about it, with us it was first, maybe second after seeing what sort of malpresentation it was. plus i'd never even contemplate pulling out a dead lamb without a glove on! the amount of zoonotic stuff you can catch, plus passing it on to other sheep. I just can't see why if you can wear gloves, why people wouldn't, for such little effort it prevents a lot of stuff.
    edit: and i am talking about the long, disposible plastic ones. we had boxes of them scattered throughout the barns
    **not having a go at you!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not overly experienced with lambing, so may be talking rubbish, but doesn't it make sense to learn to lamb wearing gloves, so when you qualify you can lamb easily with them which surely looks more professional as you don't want to be spreading infection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haddie...)
    I'm not overly experienced with lambing, so may be talking rubbish, but doesn't it make sense to learn to lamb wearing gloves, so when you qualify you can lamb easily with them which surely looks more professional as you don't want to be spreading infection?
    yes!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haddie...)
    I agree with this. I use gloves when lambing, unless it's a real emergency and it would take too much time to get gloves.

ReputationRep:
    we just carried many gloves around in our pockets, although getting a grip on the lambs is a nightmare, they're like giant slippery bars of wriggling soap lol
    I had long nails when I last did lambing too, so wearing gloves was better because i'd get allsorts under them and I didnt want to end up scratching anything that could cause harm, but the farmers loved using me to burst the water bags when needed lol
    the nails are all chopped off now though!

ReputationRep:
    strange, my farmer doesn't let anyone lamb with gloves on...not sure why. we just towel dry our hands between lambing sheep as well, but just because there's not a tap in the lambing shed (trust me I'd wash my hands if I could!). amazing farm though .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by emmaaa..)
    strange, my farmer doesn't let anyone lamb with gloves on...not sure why. we just towel dry our hands between lambing sheep as well, but just because there's not a tap in the lambing shed (trust me I'd wash my hands if I could!). amazing farm though .
    Yer no one used gloves at ALL on my last farm, but they did have some, which I made them get for me if they wanted me to lamb a rotten one.

'Oi Caragh, we left a nice smelly ex prolapse one for you in pen 3'

...thanks Robert!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know Lynda Moores email address? -- She gave it out in the talk but i didnt write it down!...Just want to request feedback on where i went wrong in my interview ...not that it matters anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Does anyone know Lynda Moores email address? -- She gave it out in the talk but i didnt write it down!...Just want to request feedback on where i went wrong in my interview ...not that it matters anymore
    Yeah, it's [email protected]

I really want Bristol to send out their accommodation stuff now, I'm getting all excited! Aaaaand I STILL need to do my Student Finance. Like, right now!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone with an RVC offer heard anything other than a track update?

ReputationRep:
    I havent no, but a couple of Standard Occupational Health Questionnaire's have been sent out. I probably havent heard because I'm gateway rather than BVetMed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmad1992)
    Has anyone with an RVC offer heard anything other than a track update?
    No but i emailed them with a general enquiry and they said we will be recieving an official offer letter soon...
    Although mine might be different because mines for gateway 2011 entry

ReputationRep:
    I've had the occ health questionnaire through from RVC (thursday I think). My offer is for D102 though. Nothing else as yet though...

ReputationRep:
    I've caught an infection last year and again this year becaus of lambing, so I wear gloves when I have open cutts, I acctually think its a bit easier to lamb with them coz u can slide ur hands around better, espesh with a dry lamb....but when u have to pull it can get a bit slippery, but mehhh

anyway wan tto hear something gross???

We've got this box on our yard where we throw all the dead lambs and carcasses in right, and they come and collect it when its full, sometimes there are maggots and crap in there, it goes away to get minced to produce make-up!!!!!! Sick or what!!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    - goes away from own makeup o_O- :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    we always had gloves on us, the farmer wouldn't let us or himself go near the sheep to intervene without putting one on, even if you had to call someone to bring you one or go and get one and have to catch the sheep again. lol it's so strange how everyone does stuff so differently, u say it's the last thing you think about it, with us it was first, maybe second after seeing what sort of malpresentation it was. plus i'd never even contemplate pulling out a dead lamb without a glove on! the amount of zoonotic stuff you can catch, plus passing it on to other sheep. I just can't see why if you can wear gloves, why people wouldn't, for such little effort it prevents a lot of stuff.
    edit: and i am talking about the long, disposible plastic ones. we had boxes of them scattered throughout the barns
    **not having a go at you!!
    those are the crappy gloves...dentist gloves you need, proper grip on them!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm excited!
    Went to try a horse today (8th one I've seen) and he arrives on Tuesday :woo: Got him on trial for ten days before I have to make a decision, it's all very exciting and I'm whittling already because hardly any of Bront's stuff will fit him, we've got no bedding, no feed, there are strange horses in 'my' field and eeeeeek!

edit: The arm is still swollen and itchy, found a tube of steroid cream to see if that helps :o:

ReputationRep:
    They make make-up??? Ewwww, that is gross Bethhh, I wish you hadn't told me that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    I'm excited!
    Went to try a horse today (8th one I've seen) and he arrives on Tuesday :woo: Got him on trial for ten days before I have to make a decision, it's all very exciting and I'm whittling already because hardly any of Bront's stuff will fit him, we've got no bedding, no feed, there are strange horses in 'my' field and eeeeeek!
    Wow, very exciting, what's he like?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.