Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Morning guys, I have a bit of a Geeky question for anyone who is already at vet school. I was on amazon yesterday, thinking about buying the

"Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine: 2-Volume Set with CD-ROM:

Stephen J. Ettinger DVM DACVIM and Edward C. Feldman DVM DACVIM"

Just because i thought it would be handy to have a general textbooky type of book for interest and also to help me with simple definitions and explanations throughout the course.. what do u guys think? waste of money? If not, do you know of any really good all-encompassing general text books? i'm asking because I know they have them for medicine (Hutchingsons etc. ) but wasnt sure if they do for vet med?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    Morning guys, I have a bit of a Geeky question for anyone who is already at vet school. I was on amazon yesterday, thinking about buying the

Just because i thought it would be handy to have a general textbooky type of book for interest and also to help me with simple definitions and explanations throughout the course.. what do u guys think? waste of money? If not, do you know of any really good all-encompassing general text books? i'm asking because I know they have them for medicine (Hutchingsons etc. ) but wasnt sure if they do for vet med?
    Hmm, I wouldn't worry about buying any of these yet, they'll tell you everything you need nearer to the time, and you're also not likely to need internal medicine books until later on in the course, by which time there will be new editions out etc etc. They have a specific list of books which we generally work from, I can give you more details if you like, alhtough you'll get them slightly cheaper when you start the course!

ReputationRep:

I've just bought the vet student dictionary which is brilliant. Simple definitions for anything you would ever want to look up.
    Got it for £5 on ebay brand new, I think you can buy it off amazon pretty cheap. It's the green one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VL86)
    Hmm, I wouldn't worry about buying any of these yet, they'll tell you everything you need nearer to the time, and you're also not likely to need internal medicine books until later on in the course, by which time there will be new editions out etc etc. They have a specific list of books which we generally work from, I can give you more details if you like, alhtough you'll get them slightly cheaper when you start the course!
    Okay cool thanks, I guess the reading lists we'l get are more module specific - but in medicine they have medicine encyclopedia type books which just cover lots of stuff generally-not sure its the same for vet med because of the huge number of different species but i'l keep an eye out

(Original post by *NICO*)
    I've just bought the vet student dictionary which is brilliant. Simple definitions for anything you would ever want to look up.
    Got it for £5 on ebay brand new, I think you can buy it off amazon pretty cheap. It's the green one.
    Thanks, i just ordered it!

ReputationRep:
    What's that book everyone was going on about? I think it was called Dyce's or soemthing similar...I'm probably being very stupid here!

First day back at school today First day of my last ever term, it's weird!!!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was Blacks Vet Dictionary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    What's that book everyone was going on about? I think it was called Dyce's or soemthing similar...I'm probably being very stupid here!

First day back at school today First day of my last ever term, it's weird!!!

just looked it up, Dyce's Veterinary Anatomy- looks pretty good! (and expensive lol)

ReputationRep:
    just looked it up, Dyce's Veterinary Anatomy- looks pretty good! (and expensive lol)
    Ah Dyce. You and he will become very good friends over the next few years

Some people love it, some people hate it. I like it personally, but it is very detailed. True, it is a bit pricey but it is likely to be your veterinary bible soon enough! If you want to buy it now then go ahead, but you will be able to get it a bit cheaper in September. I have an older edition which is pretty much identical, so you might be able to get it cheaper on ebay/amazon etc that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VL86)
    Ah Dyce. You and he will become very good friends over the next few years

Some people love it, some people hate it. I like it personally, but it is very detailed. True, it is a bit pricey but it is likely to be your veterinary bible soon enough! If you want to buy it now then go ahead, but you will be able to get it a bit cheaper in September. I have an older edition which is pretty much identical, so you might be able to get it cheaper on ebay/amazon etc that way.
    i jus bought it on amazon !! (called my dad and he agreed to pay ) Okay, think these 2 books will keep me going for a while.. thanks for the reply VL

ReputationRep:
    i jus bought it on amazon !! (called my dad and he agreed to pay ) Okay, think these 2 books will keep me going for a while.. thanks for the reply VL
    Niiice Don't get too scared when it first arrives btw - can be a very daunting book at first!

ReputationRep:
    how much do people usually pay for dyce? i found a copy for £20 and was wondering if this is a good price?
    the only thing is it is a 1996 copy so will it be very different from new copies?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im thinking of going to a camden campus tour at rvc...Does anyone know if you get to see the accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Hey, im thinking of going to a camden campus tour at rvc...Does anyone know if you get to see the accomodation?
    I was thinking about going too. I'm not sure if you do though, I know a couple of people on gateway, I'll see if I can find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmad1992)
    how much do people usually pay for dyce? i found a copy for £20 and was wondering if this is a good price?
    the only thing is it is a 1996 copy so will it be very different from new copies?
    £20 is excellent value. Is that the second edition? (Beige with red on the cover) If so, that's the edition I've got and it's almost exactly the same as the current edition - the only difference I've found so far is some of the page numbers! Your vet school might advise you differently but I've found that I'm at no disadvantage having this edition.

ReputationRep:
    back from a mini holiday to thorpe park had an awsum time and the drive home only took like 5 hours today
    sooooo little time til i go to canada now, not sure if i'll have much internet access when im out there so BYE everyone!!!!!!!!!!
    my stuff wont all fit in my bag... its a dilemma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostwithoutyou)
    I was thinking about going too. I'm not sure if you do though, I know a couple of people on gateway, I'll see if I can find out
    Yeah im thinking of going on the 30th June (the day after my last exam)...Didnt really see that much at my interview, so would be good to have a proper look around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VL86)
    £20 is excellent value. Is that the second edition? (Beige with red on the cover) If so, that's the edition I've got and it's almost exactly the same as the current edition - the only difference I've found so far is some of the page numbers! Your vet school might advise you differently but I've found that I'm at no disadvantage having this edition.
    thanks for the help

yes it is second edition

i may buy it and look through - if having different page numbers becomes a problem i can always sell it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    Yeah im thinking of going on the 30th June (the day after my last exam)...Didnt really see that much at my interview, so would be good to have a proper look around.
    I asked a girl I know who's on the course, you dont get to see accomodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future African game vet)
    WOW!! Excllent! See you next year dude :yes: :woo:
    I wonder why they made you wait so long! Ah well- woop for yu anyway you'll love it here

CONGRATULATIONS NICOLE, u must be over the moon (i was!!) see you in September !
    yay, see you both september hopefully :woo:
    i got my letter today proving i wasn't dreaming :p: got to sort out all the health check stuff and accomodation and finance now!

ooh and i have blacks student veterinary dictionary, it's awesome :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostwithoutyou)
    I asked a girl I know who's on the course, you dont get to see accomodation
    Oh ok, Thanks alot for finding out!...I might email RVC to find out if there is any chance i can organise to see the accomodation...
    Obviously im in no hurry to look at it because i wont need to decide till next year. Do you know where your going to apply for accomodation?
    I like the look of mary b, but i dont like the cost, and i think i'd rather be closer to uni....although the website makes it look so much closer!!!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.