Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samz56)
    Do you know when the accomodation info starts getting sent out?? I really want to get sorting
    Same, I really want to get started now cuz i know itll take me ages to decide!
    I had an email on Thursday saying that the accomodation info would be sent to me shortly so maybe within the next couple of weeks
    any ideas on where you want to be staying?

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhhhh just realised i dont know the date that RVC start the course this year seeing as i was meant to go last year!! does anybody know?

ReputationRep:
    Freshers' week is the 1st October for Bristol, so nice long summer for us! Basically Rach, if you get your income assessed you may be eligible for a bigger maintenance loan or a grant (which I am 90% sure you won't have to pay back), based on how much your parents earn, on a sliding scale. It is a LOT more faff to apply for the means tested one, because your parents have to support your application by sending in proof of their earnings, which you obviously have to organise. However, given how expensive everything is, if you are likely to get a lot more money doing this it is probably worth it. I'm not an expert though, I don't know how helpful that was! I tried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurasaurus)
    Same, I really want to get started now cuz i know itll take me ages to decide!
    I had an email on Thursday saying that the accomodation info would be sent to me shortly so maybe within the next couple of weeks
    any ideas on where you want to be staying?
    Ahh well hopefully it will be soonish then! I'm thinking Mary B / intercollegiate - although I know how expensive the intercollegiate can be.....and I think theyre all catered if I'm right???? What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh well hopefully it will be soonish then! I'm thinking Mary B / intercollegiate - although I know how expensive the intercollegiate can be.....and I think theyre all catered if I'm right???? What about you?
    yeah intercollegiate are more expensive because of them all being catered, but I guess it works out well if you think that the price includes 2 meals a day with an extra one on the weekends. At the moment im leaning more towards the intercollegiate halls so that I could mix with other students and not get overwhelmed with vettiness all the time! but then again if im living with vets I know we'll all have something in common and there will be people to walk to uni with...so im totally undecided lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol, when I went to intercolliagiate (Connaught Hall) was actually CHEAPER per week than mary b, and free wireless internet (u gotta pay extra at mary b)

AND that was including food.
    Connaught is the way to go... they have their own private bar, and very relaxed staff etc. Really good social stuff, and right in the middle of bloomsbury, 2 secs walk from ULU.

ReputationRep:
    wel i dont no why my parents decided to do means tested
    ill probably get less money
    ohhh man! i really need to sort this out if the deadline is this friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachhyyyy)
    wel i dont no why my parents decided to do means tested
    ill probably get less money
    ohhh man! i really need to sort this out if the deadline is this friday
    If you don't do it based on your parent's income, they give you the minimum anyway, so you can't get any less with it being means tested.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any ideas of stuff I might need for vet school that I can ask for, for my birthday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caraghk123)
    Lol, when I went to intercolliagiate (Connaught Hall) was actually CHEAPER per week than mary b, and free wireless internet (u gotta pay extra at mary b)

AND that was including food.
    Connaught is the way to go... they have their own private bar, and very relaxed staff etc. Really good social stuff, and right in the middle of bloomsbury, 2 secs walk from ULU.
    Yeah Mary.B is a bit cheeky making you pay extra for the internet lol Does connaught have en-suites or shared bath rooms? Ive always been set on the en-suite ones, but now to be honest I wouldnt mind sharing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karate_kat)
    If you don't do it based on your parent's income, they give you the minimum anyway, so you can't get any less with it being means tested.
    ah thanks

i looked it up this morning and it looks to me like its worth trying for means tested if yr parents earn under 50,020 and it works up from that with getting a full grant if they earn less than 25,000. I get it at last!!!!

ReputationRep:
    note to self: do not post on tsr or facebook while intoxicated.
    i have disgarded my slightly embarrassing drunken ramble!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by laurasaurus)
    Yeah Mary.B is a bit cheeky making you pay extra for the internet lol Does connaught have en-suites or shared bath rooms? Ive always been set on the en-suite ones, but now to be honest I wouldnt mind sharing.
    Shared bathrooms, most of the intercolliagiate hve shared, apart from the new ones I think - I know College Hall has en suite ones but i think its alot more pricy for them. And theydont have a cosy atmosphere and cool bar like connaught. To be honest, connaught halls are nothing amazing to look at, but its just an amazing place to be. There were 5 vets in my halls (well 3 vets and 2 vetscis) and we were all really close, but we also made good friends with alot of people from UCL, LSE and Kings.

There is a sink in everyones room, and a cleaner comes by once a day to clean out bins and clean the sink etc.

ReputationRep:
    My family are still stuck in Egypt. I am so glad I came back when I did.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    Feeling a little worried because I haven't heard from nottingham yet for D100 course, I was interviewed in February....... Does this mean i'm waiting for a certain rejection now
    Can anyone put me at ease?!
    xx
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by x~Kt~x)
    Hey everyone,
    Feeling a little worried because I haven't heard from nottingham yet for D100 course, I was interviewed in February....... Does this mean i'm waiting for a certain rejection now
    Can anyone put me at ease?!
    xx

Why not ring them up and ask . Doesn't mean a rejection, you might be on hold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola92)
    anyone got any ideas of stuff I might need for vet school that I can ask for, for my birthday?
    When is your birthday? Mine was in July and I asked for them to wait until I got my kit list through in September and buy me things from that (or give me money in advance). Otherwise, anatomy posters are fairly popular with people here, and general books on things like breeds etc. I've just gone out and bought a load of outdoorsy trousers that I can use for EMS in the summer when it's too hot for overalls. Most of the essential stuff you need you can get in September, and is likely to be cheaper through the vet school. Just be careful, I asked for welly socks for christmas and got 14 pairs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Why not ring them up and ask . Doesn't mean a rejection, you might be on hold.
    I'll give them a ring on monday, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x~Kt~x)
    I'll give them a ring on monday, thank you
    i think a few people have heard this week and got offers, so definatly doesnt mean a rejection, and i think they do put some people on a sort of waiting list, but as its WAY over the deadline i wud definatly ring up

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe Nottingham is making people wait this long, it's awful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.