Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, today has been a bit hectic. The most enjoyable part of the day was maths papers and my Biology ISA, which was pretty funny, because it was about animal behaviour so we had to study woodlice. One of my woodlice died during my experiment, so I doubt my results will be any good :p:

I went to the doctor's today about stress and she is trying to convince me to defer my exams until next year because she thinks I'm too stressed. I don't want to, because then it's just an extra year of stress, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    at bristol you have to do 2 weeks pcems at an sa vets dont you so you might be able to do that there
    This is so true, I had forgotten about that! It is in the 1st 2 years as well, sorted I will go there

Haha Steph we did that practical too. It was ludicrously easy, our L4s do a counting woodlice practical, which makes me laugh that it an A2 paper!

Guyssss, you know my Salters Chem coursework I spent months doing and complaining about...got it back and I got 91% :woo: This has literally made me so happy, the 140 pages were worth it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Urgh, today has been a bit hectic. The most enjoyable part of the day was maths papers and my Biology ISA, which was pretty funny, because it was about animal behaviour so we had to study woodlice. One of my woodlice died during my experiment, so I doubt my results will be any good :p:

I went to the doctor's today about stress and she is trying to convince me to defer my exams until next year because she thinks I'm too stressed. I don't want to, because then it's just an extra year of stress, in my opinion.
    I had that practical last week One of my woodlice kept trying to escape from the tray and got stuck on it's back quite a few times, had to keep flicking it back over :o:

Deferring might make it even more stressful because then you'd be worried about not getting the results then, and having to resit all of your AS stuff because it expires after three years. I don't know what they can do except give you beta-blockers or something, and I'd imagine you'd struggle to learn aswell if you were on those, not sure

ReputationRep:
    panic over. cuthbert's home!!!

he was in the garage of just about the only person in my town who's letterbox i didn't put i flyer through!! (her husband's just died) but we heard him crying when we were investigating cos we didn't think she was in. she walked out as me and the mother were opening her garage door oops!
    but yea he's fine except very very hungry and a bit dusty!!!
    never thought i'd be lucky enough to see him againnnn

happy.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa..)

he was in the garage of just about the only person in my town who's letterbox i didn't put i flyer through!! (her husband's just died) but we heard him crying when we were investigating cos we didn't think she was in. she walked out as me and the mother were opening her garage door oops!

happy.com
    :woo:
    i wouldnt expect her to be too happy about the garage door though:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_dwin_ffeimys_x)
    You were there!!! did u go to the doo's and shii?
    I love Mojos we were there all day everyday haha! I miss the place and I miss the people!
    Bumped into rachyy quite a few times, shes mental!! think we did 10 shots of zambuka the 2nd night, and got lost on our way back home no money for taxis stoped by the police station 8) hehe
    didnt chek this till now or I'd of looked for you as well...

Yeah venue was full of you guys! There were so many of you over the weekend..torquay was swarming :p: It looked like most of you were drunk for the entire time you were down here! Haha. What did you think of torquay? Bit small isn't it?!

And yay for finding cuthbert..i've been checking this thread over the past couple of days to see if you'd had any news!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yay :woo:

Cuthbert is a great name for a cat

ReputationRep:

happy.com
    I hoped he would turn up safe having got lost in somewhere silly like a garage or a shed, really glad you've found him

ReputationRep:
    That's great news about Cuthbert! Hopefully he'll have learnt not to do that again! lol

ReputationRep:

happy.com

Yayyy That's fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    awh woo thanks guys!!! . ahh they're so much trouble but we love them! :rolleyes:

hopefully he has learnt his lesson though :p: scared to let him venture out again aha.

and thanks mandy about his name,,,i think its cute name for a kitty :p:. my mum thinks it makes him sound like a grandad though lol. i just shorten it to buffy most of the time and various other things .

ahhh literally so happy about his return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwirlGirl)
    Yeah venue was full of you guys! There were so many of you over the weekend..torquay was swarming :p: It looked like most of you were drunk for the entire time you were down here! Haha. What did you think of torquay? Bit small isn't it?!

And yay for finding cuthbert..i've been checking this thread over the past couple of days to see if you'd had any news!
    bit small??? ymmmm I thought it was big haha!!! we got lost every night getting back, tres confusing city or town? way bigger than bangor and caernarfon wich are my nearest towns/city anyway haha
    yeah we were drunk all weekend!! farmers rulez hehehe
    I drove home in the morning still not sobor probs had to stop so amy times coz the mate was throwing up hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on finding Cuthbert!
    One of my cats liked to sleep in the neighbours house when they were gone. The first time it happened we were worried like you were, but after a while it was just a habit.
    Another one of our cats likes to climb into white vans and stick his face in exhaust pipes, and another one likes to lie in the middle of the road (she's had people get out of their cars and shoo her away; good thing we live quite rurally).
    But I would never keep them as indoor cats, seeing how happy they are roaming about outside. It depends on your area though I suppose. It's pretty quiet where I am which is good.

One of my vet school friends is highly in favour of indoor cats and I am quite the opposite. What are your opinions guys? Just curious.

I think it really does depend on where you live but in my opinion the pros can outweigh the cons quite a lot having outdoor cats.
    My aunt bred cats and she had about 10 of them in a little flat (indoor cats) at one point, it was awful.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really imagine keeping my cat as an indoor cat, he goes crazy if we don't let him out and just makes a nuisance of himself, like he'll jump on the cabinets and push everything off. when he was younger he used to do that hilarious thing where they run up the curtains when he was waiting to be fed :rolleyes: but yeah we live in quote a quiet area like you LDVet, my cat isn't very wary of cars, he has a tendency of waiting to cross the road, and then at the very last minute he'll leg it across the road in front of the car, he's veryy silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    Congrats on finding Cuthbert!
    One of my cats liked to sleep in the neighbours house when they were gone. The first time it happened we were worried like you were, but after a while it was just a habit.
    Another one of our cats likes to climb into white vans and stick his face in exhaust pipes, and another one likes to lie in the middle of the road (she's had people get out of their cars and shoo her away; good thing we live quite rurally).
    But I would never keep them as indoor cats, seeing how happy they are roaming about outside. It depends on your area though I suppose. It's pretty quiet where I am which is good.

One of my vet school friends is highly in favour of indoor cats and I am quite the opposite. What are your opinions guys? Just curious.

I think it really does depend on where you live but in my opinion the pros can outweigh the cons quite a lot having outdoor cats.
    My aunt bred cats and she had about 10 of them in a little flat (indoor cats) at one point, it was awful.
    I'm in favour of outside cats! :p: Although I do think some cats like being inside. I've got 2 who we originally bought as stable cats but when it got cold my mum felt sorry for them so she got them a bed for the porch and they sleep and get fed in there now and have a cat flap so they can go in and out when they want! If the back door to the kitchen is open though, they always come inside and will sleep on my bed so I think they like being inside as much as out!!
    I can completely understand though if you live in a busy area why you would keep a cat inside but I just think it is more natural for them to be out!

Emma I'm really glad you found your cat!

ReputationRep:
    It is lovely to see them behaving naturally and having the freedom to roam about as they do.
    Although saying that, I could do without the live shrews they keep bringing back and releasing in our house! Only one of our current cats actually kills things (our newest one, a female) and our old moggy used to as well; the other two are little gentlemen and bring us "live" presents.

Anyone have cats that love the snow? Ours do, even though their pads get pretty cold and raw. I've never seen cats bound about and dig in the snow like they do. It's just great to see.

Ah, I seem to have turned the conversation towards cats. Some people at vet school know me as the, "crazy cat and rat lady". Most people here are more into dogs I think. I haven't met anyone yet who shares quite the level of obsession as I do, although obviously there are more passionate cat people out there than me. :P

ReputationRep:
    I would never keep my cat indoors, unless it was for medical reasons. When my cat managed to walk into a twig, he needed a conjunctival pedicle graft, so we had to keep him inside with a buster collar on for 2 weeks. He went absolutely insane, he hates being kept inside. He loves climbing trees and exploring the field behind our house, although I'm always paranoid he'll get kicked by a cow or something, after a kitten came into the vets once after being kicked by a cow (she needed her leg amputated, unfortunately I arrived half an hour too late to see)! But, yeah, I don't really agree with keeping cats indoors, generally. Some of them can have a great quality of life, obviously, but I think it's just better to let them go outside (unless you live in central London, maybe). I think it's just like keeping a dog and not walking it regularly, it's not fair.

But, like you said, I could also do without the presents. My old cat used to actually kill and eat whatever she brought it, so we'd just find bones and some guts. My one remaining cat brings in live animals, usually frogs, birds or baby rabbits. He used to bring in shrews all the time, now not so much. Once I woke up at 3am because I could hear scratching under my bed. We keep my dog and cat downstairs at night and shut the door, because otherwise my cat miaows for attention and climbs all over your head. So I got up and found a fully grown wild rabbit under my head. That was great fun trying to catch it. He obviously brought it in in the evening and then just brought it upstairs and forgot about it, stupid animal. I had rabbit poo under my bed, too. Horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Once my cat brought in a live shrew and let it go so it ran into the cupboard. When we shoved him in to retrieve it/flush it out (there was no way we were going to get it out), he just sat in the cupboard and did nothing. The other two cats did the same thing. So we have what must be a now-dead shrew in our cupboard...somewhere.
    And I never knew that frogs could make that squealing noise until my cat decided to chase and bat at one.
    That's horrible about the rabbit poo and everything!
    Never a dull moment is there?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, never a dull moment, that's why we love them

We've got lots of dead animals in the skirting boards, I think. There was a little gap there and sometimes we can't catch them and we think they run into there. There might be an opening somewhere and they might escape but, unfortunately, that's unlikely to be the case. He's not brought anything in for months now, touch wood.

ReputationRep:
    back from canada early
    the whole trip was a disaster, i nearly got refused entry into the country and then the stables was nowhere near as big as they claimed, instead of 60 horses they had less than 20 it basically ment there was nothing for me to do, i kept asking if there was extra jobs, grooming, mucking out, cleaning tack etc but they just said no there wasnt and told me to go and relax.
    I decided to come home because it was costing me too much money to be there if i wasnt learning anything or being vaguely helpful

on the cat subject... im fully in favour of cats going outside. my cats just use the catflap to come and go as they please, much less hassle for everyone! i dont really think cats should be kept indoors all the time unless its for medical reasons because they wont get enough exercise and i dont think they should be cooped up all the time! if you live that close to a busy road maybe think about getting a different pet, i know it sounds harsh but imagine if you lived on a really busy road and your indoor cat escaped, it would have no traffic sense and wouldnt stand a chance

and ldvet i agree, frogs make a terrible noise! and their blood is a funny colour...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.