The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ok i was really wrong. my constituency was the only lib dem one in london to be lost :frown:
If you're a student, do you vote for your home consituency or your uni one? Because my brother was down to vote at both :confused:
Still Labour round here - over half of the votes :biggrin:
To be fair, I think there were a lot of surprises in this election. :smile:
why the hell do you lot like labour?!!! thats shokking!!!!
i am gutted its a hung parliment, the £ will drop though, so means us farmers are at gain, but with greece going banckrupt the euro is also droping, so we are not at gain(we get paid in euros) it says in the farmers weekley that a hung parliment will be good short term, bad long term...no idea what to thinkk
I don't particularly like labour, but I hate conservatives and like lib dems. I'm glad it's a hung parliament, cos there's a chance of a lib-lab coalition, so lib dems will get more of a say.
I have finally arranged to go and look at the Bristol accommodation! :smile:
karate_kat
I don't particularly like labour, but I hate conservatives and like lib dems. I'm glad it's a hung parliament, cos there's a chance of a lib-lab coalition, so lib dems will get more of a say.

Mmm, I'd say a Lib-Con partnership (or even going as far as a formal coalition) is looking much more likely. Brown basically pleaded for Clegg to side with him so he could stay in power, whereas Cameron offers to work with Clegg, flexible on some policies but staying strong on his core ones. Which seems fair enough.
I still think it's ironic that as the weakest party leader of the three, Clegg actually has a lot of power at the moment.

Moonlight*
I have finally arranged to go and look at the Bristol accommodation! :smile:

Oooh, anywhere in particular? I can't wait to apply!
PowerLewis
Oooh, anywhere in particular? I can't wait to apply!

I'v booked a tour at Durdham ad Manor and I'm goin to look around the grounds of university hall, apparently they don't do tours! Do you know where you are going to apply yet? :smile:
Reply 5488
ahh my area has stayed conservative, which it's been since as long as i can remember. so has my dads where i am now. my sister in streatham in london tactically voted to keep labour in though :smile:. my whole fam are holding out for a lib-lab coalition, don't know how realistic that is at the moment though.

rvc open day tomorrowwwwww :biggrin:.
why hate conservatives? they might bring fox hunting back, sgrap EMA, cut down on immigration, plus they look aafter us farmers, if labour had styed in power, my dad would probablly given up farming, coz it;s turning into a Joke!
but yes I'm glad the lib-dems ahve gotten some say in it
Reply 5490
.captainsarah
If you're a student, do you vote for your home consituency or your uni one? Because my brother was down to vote at both :confused:
Still Labour round here - over half of the votes :biggrin:

You can choose, I think. Well, my boyfriend did.

My area is still Conservative, as always. Lib Dem did give them a good run for their money though. I don't particularly like the Conservatives (I agree with some of their policies, but disagree with many more and frankly prefer the Lib Dems policies by far) but I won't go into it too much, I've had enough arguments about politics recently. However, I am very happy with a Con-Lib partnership, I'm loving the amount of power Clegg has, really.
Unless Torys agree to political reform, i would think it's unlikely that Clegg would form a coalition with them. (I'd hope so anyway)
I don't agree with fox hunting, although I think EMA should be scrapped, and I think Cameron's plans for tackling immigration aren't logical. I don't think they can simply put a 'cap' on immigration, and I much prefer lib dems idea of limiting people coming in to those that have particular skills and only into certain areas.
I also don't trust David Cameron, I'm not sure what it is about him, I just don't. And on the 3rd election debate Brown and Clegg were contesting his taxing system, about him helping the 'double millionaires', he had no answer it.
Why do a lot of farmers prefer torys? What support do they offer?
Reply 5492
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
why hate conservatives? they might bring fox hunting back, sgrap EMA, cut down on immigration, plus they look aafter us farmers, if labour had styed in power, my dad would probablly given up farming, coz it;s turning into a Joke!
but yes I'm glad the lib-dems ahve gotten some say in it

i can't see that anyone has said that they hate the conservatives. i think, as with anything, it's about people favouring other parties and their policies, which everyone has the right to do (whatever their reasons for doing so).
http://www.conservatives.com/news/speeches/2010/02/nick_herbert_the_conservative_agenda_for_farming.aspx

no farming no food-I want taht bumper sticker

We can't afford the competing armies of rural bureaucrats that have been recruited under Labour.

that link is the reason why I vote conservatives, labour do not support us at all, and for you who want to be farm vets you should take it into account!

but like the welsh say "pawb ai farn" - everybody to their opinions
emmaaa..
i can't see that anyone has said that they hate the conservatives. i think, as with anything, it's about people favouring other parties and their policies, which everyone has the right to do (whatever their reasons for doing so).

2 ppl on this very page have :p:
Reply 5495
karate_kat
Unless Torys agree to political reform, i would think it's unlikely that Clegg would form a coalition with them. (I'd hope so anyway)
I don't agree with fox hunting, although I think EMA should be scrapped, and I think Cameron's plans for tackling immigration aren't logical. I don't think they can simply put a 'cap' on immigration, and I much prefer lib dems idea of limiting people coming in to those that have particular skills and only into certain areas.
I also don't trust David Cameron, I'm not sure what it is about him, I just don't. And on the 3rd election debate Brown and Clegg were contesting his taxing system, about him helping the 'double millionaires', he had no answer it.
Why do a lot of farmers prefer torys? What support do they offer?

+ this.
taxing the poor and giving tax breaks to the richest hardly helps their image of being a party for the upper classes.

but like i said policies of any party appeal to people depending on their own personal situation.
Reply 5496
Yes, I agree with Emma. My dad voted Conservative because he is disillusioned with Labour and hates getting taxed so much (40%!). But, as a student, I am in a different position and I much prefer Lib Dems policies, and they are putting more funding into science, which I think we really need to do. I don't agree with scrapping tuition fees, but I don't think they should be increased and I definitely don't think individual universities should be given control. No party is perfect, they all have their good points and bad points, which is why I think a partnership/coalition will be a good thing.
Reply 5497
Well I spent the whole day at school watching the election coverage in lessons, I am getting so into this it is really exciting! I voted Lib Dem, but it was a toss up between them and voting Tory. In the end I went for Lib Dem because I really like Clegg and I wanted free Uni education! But ah well, I am in Theresa May's constituency and there was NO way she was going to lose that. Us and Henley are the two safest Tory seats in the country! Reading West went Conservative though, which is really interesting as it has been very pro Labour for a long time.

I seriously think that although having a Hung Parliament may not be the best outcome, it is pretty exciting for us as (mostly) first time voters!
oaktrees
Well I spent the whole day at school watching the election coverage in lessons, I am getting so into this it is really exciting! I voted Lib Dem, but it was a toss up between them and voting Tory. In the end I went for Lib Dem because I really like Clegg and I wanted free Uni education! But ah well, I am in Theresa May's constituency and there was NO way she was going to lose that. Us and Henley are the two safest Tory seats in the country! Reading West went Conservative though, which is really interesting as it has been very pro Labour for a long time.

I seriously think that although having a Hung Parliament may not be the best outcome, it is pretty exciting for us as (mostly) first time voters!

i stayed up all night watching it, its quite fun
I stayed up till 3.30 that jesus, and power man were hillerious,a nd so were sum of the quotes "voting went smoother in afghanistan" lolz