Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    Are you on facebook? Sorry, this is irrelevant to your post but i quoted you to get your attention x
    I am indeed. And i've joined the vet applicants 2010 and the tsr vet groups. Holly Porter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    How much does this take you back to feeling like the new work exp student?! Did she look at you with awe? :p:
    yeh, feels strange when you realise that you no longer feel 'new'. Scary though when people start asking you questions...and expect you to know the answer. She was asking lots of (good) questions about sheep/lambing etc etc and I felt like :confused: ...go ask someone else, except oh damn..there is no one else here :rolleyes: She is much better than the work exp we had the last few weeks though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Pendragon)
    Beats me. But i jumped out of my skin when i went t o get gloves, and instead found a girl!!
    :p: Sounds weird. Was she like a year 11/12 student on work experience?

Am I the only person on here not doing work experience at the moment :eek: ?

ReputationRep:
    What is the 30 month rule?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Work experience rocks .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    I really hate being back at school when the rest of the country is on half term!!! And I want to be back on my dairy farm sooooo badly. School sucks. I have 4 assessed practicals this week, my Chem project is due in 6 weeks, and I have mocks the day before my Bristol interview. Plus normal prep. I physically don't have time to do everything!! Plus practicing my clarinet and all the clubs I'm meant to be a member of...

I seriously would much rather be on work ex like the rest of you lot!

But, sorted out my lambing for Easter, and hopefully getting some time with an LA vet I know for the summer all sorted out soon

Edit: Rachel that's so cool about your dog having puppies!!!
    Yeah, I don't have much time to practice my violin....

I need to sort out some lambing.
    :eek: I noticed you are in Berkshire! Where are you doing lambing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)

Not sure.. She's studying animal management at some college. I don't think she's really a people person!

ReputationRep:

i'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Work experience rocks .
    It so does :yep:

But I don't think I would have the time to squeeze it in anywhere at the moment. Actually that reminds me...I was planning to organise some dairy for easter hols, perhaps could organise some lambing too.
    :eek: Forgot to get back to a farmer. Oh dear....

ReputationRep:

I'm not doing work experience at the moment and won't be until the easter holidays!

ReputationRep:
    What is the 30 month rule?
    Cattle over 30 months old have to be tested for bse when they're slaughtered. But i think it might have changed to 48 months now? Im not sure don't quote me on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    i'm not.
    Well, its not exactly like you need to!! You must have done every form of work experience possible in your gap year.
    I have got a variety, but not that much in comparision to other people. Im especially lacking in farm work. I must have called every possible place I could get to, and only found 1 place in the end, which was really small, and didn't really go down well.

I really hope Bristol are not too into the farm stuff...
    I really have no idea what to expect at this interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Pendragon)
    Cattle over 30 months old have to be tested for bse when they're slaughtered. But i think it might have changed to 48 months now? Im not sure don't quote me on that!
    Lol :P Thanks anyway. I looked it up on the internet, as I remember it being mentioned in some article about BSE I was reading. But there doesn't seem to be much on it anywhere.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    . I want to go back to a vets, feels wierd when I'm not doing work experience now.

ReputationRep:

I'm not.
    All I have left is two Sundays lambing in March

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    !
    Just wondering how your work experience at twycross went? I have mine in march, and was wondering what to expect. x

ReputationRep:
    Wow. There's a mark two already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckybob)
    Just wondering how your work experience at twycross went? I have mine in march, and was wondering what to expect. x
    Hey it was good. Unfortunatly, don't expect much (if any) 'hands on' with animals - you will be lucky if they let you touch anything! They seem quite paranoid about work exp students touching animals!
    It was good, but be prepared for it all being cleaning enclosures, and food prep, rather than actual 'animal work' - but obviously you still get to see the animals loads, and look at what they are doing etc.

They have a lot of students through (there seemed to be about 4 or so a week whilst I was there). So whilst the staff are all friendly and helpful, they won't always go out of their way to help you/talk to you/explain things - but seem more than happy to if you ask. I'm assuming it is just that they get so many people through they don't 'waste' time on you unless it is obvious you are interested. Also, if you want experience on more than one section/want to see another area etc, ask! Again, they don't seem to offer (and seem to often just put people on one section for the whole week), whereas if you ask they are happy to move you around so you can do some different stuff.

Can't think of much else to say...if you have any particular q's let me know other than that, enjoy it, and if you want to know/do/see something ask them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I'm not.
    All I have left is two Sundays lambing in March
    I haven't done lambing :shy2:

I'm envious of everyone on here who has.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done lambing :shy2:

I'm envious of everyone on here who has.
    Don't give up on finding some- it really is the most amazing experience! It's one of the few work ex things where your actually given real responsibility! Makes me feel like a vet

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.