Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    oaktrees thats probs coz ur not re-sitting :p: be glad!! hehe

ReputationRep:
    5 down, 6 to go
    All of them seem to have gone pretty well so far, which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how many of you have worked in practices where the receptionists are not nurses, but (and forgive me for saying) just receptionists? Is it common?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    Out of interest, how many of you have worked in practices where the receptionists are not nurses, but (and forgive me for saying) just receptionists? Is it common?
    the three practices I did my work experience at all had at least one receptionist, and one of them had like six receptionists with two or three working at any one time

good luck with exams everyone

ReputationRep:
    one place i went had a receptionist. one of them wore heavy eye make up and gothy clothes. must be quite a shock for people walking in :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    None of the receptionists were nurses where I had my placement, I think there was 3 or 4.

ReputationRep:
    At my vets our receptionist has just left after about 6 years I think, so now there are two new receptionists, both are working part time, one mornings and one afternoons, and alternate Saturdays. At another practice I have been two they had two receptionists there all the time, although they didn't do their own out of hours work. At the equine vets I worked at they had two equine receptionists, two equine nurses and 4 vets. And then in the large animal bit downstairs they had two receptionists.

I think it is fairly common, although all the practices I have worked in have been fairly big. My vets has 9 vets, although 3 are part time, and 12/13 nurses, and 6 admin/support staff. They are just a first-tier practice though I think, with one branch surgery, but no one owns them if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    See, in the majority of the practices that I've been to or worked at, anyone client facing is either a nurse or a vet.
    Perhaps I'm spoilt by that, as all the receptionists I work with are qualified VNs, but when I went into my local GP clinic today and tried to get a bit of information, all I got was the repeated response of "I can't help you, I'm just a receptionist". She followed this up with, "if you'd like to talk to someone qualified, I can make you an appointment for sometime next week".
    She couldn't tell me if I'd have to pay for having the practice stamp and sign my medical for Bristol, whether or not when I did see someone they'd be able to give me any injections, let alone which vaccinations or boosters I'd need (long, tiring and depressing story there).

In fairness, I'm partially to blame for having appalling patient history, but the level of service was horrible. She wasn't even concerned or interested in making an effort, just "booking an appointment" and then getting rid of me.

I longed for the reception area at my vets and the lovely knowledgeable nurses

ReputationRep:
    I went to 4 different practices and they all had receptionists that weren't nurses but they were quite knowledgable and always put the client through to the vet if they needed advice. Is anybody going to Bristol having trouble getting a BCG? My doctor said she has to refer me to the hospital because they don't do it anymore and she thinks its highly unlikely that the hospital will do it either
    My first exam is on Friday, its come so quickly :eek3: Good luck everyone else with exams!

ReputationRep:
    at my vets they have LOADS of USELESS receptionists, its such a bad thing for the practise, they dont know anything, if you ring up they just put you on hold for ages and try and answeer your questions with the wrong answers, i think its GREAT if youve got a practise where the clients only see vets/VN, BUT realistically i dont think its possible in the big practises because there is so much receptionist work and vets/vn want to be doing there job not spending time being a receoptionist. our vets have got these really old fuddy duddy ladies, their good with SA clients because they tell them how cute their dog is, but you ask them for some infomation and they cant give it to you.

although, i went to an equine practise where the clients were given the vets mobile number and thats how they were contacted, they thought it was important that teh clients could ring the vet in person, and i totally agree, id much ratrher work in a practise like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    I went to 4 different practices and they all had receptionists that weren't nurses but they were quite knowledgable and always put the client through to the vet if they needed advice. Is anybody going to Bristol having trouble getting a BCG? My doctor said she has to refer me to the hospital because they don't do it anymore and she thinks its highly unlikely that the hospital will do it either
    My first exam is on Friday, its come so quickly :eek3: Good luck everyone else with exams!
    They will do it if you have a reason, i got mine done early (when i was about 12) because i drink unpastearised milk.

I would think going to vet school is another valid reason and the hospital SHOULD give it to you, i had to go to the hospital, my GP wouldnt give it to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    if you go to china (as 1 example) you have to get it done, so ur hospital should still do it!

all the non nursing receptionist at my local vets knew just as much as the nurses, i even asked them Q.

ReputationRep:
    some people can still get the bcg for free, so they should definitely do it somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Well my practice is fairly large and they always have a nurse on reception; I understand that nurses want to get on with their job, but if they're rotated through the roles, as happens here, you might only spend one day on reception every fortnight.
    I'd hate for my clients to feel the way I did in the GP's, so I'd insist on only hiring qualified or experienced staff.

Oh, my vets won Petplan Practice of the year. Wooo

ReputationRep:
    the receptionists at my main vets are really good and know what they're talking about, at my doctors it's a bit of a mix, there's a few receptionists who are really helpful but some of them haven't got a clue and are so rude!

ReputationRep:
    Basically at my vets the nurses have a rota, with about 10 different shifts. The earliest, 1st ops, starts at 7.30am, and the latest (excluding night duty) finishes at 8pm, which is dispensary. So by 7, everyone except the night duty nurse and the dispensary nurse have left, plus there is one animal nursing assisstant there until 8 every night too. So there are at least 3 members of staff there + vets after the receptionist has left at 6. And to be honest the old receptionist was very knowledgeable. She had about a trillion cats and was very friendly, and nearly always knew when a client should come down and when it was safe to stay at home. I don't know about the new ones, haven't met them yet!

All the nurses do end up spending some time on reception, especially when on the dispensary shift, or the clinic, but they don't seem to mind. I think it's nice to have a dedicated receptionist though, as long as they know what they are doing!

ReputationRep:
    i've never been to a practice with more that 2 vets 2 nurses

ReputationRep:
    At the vets I went to, there were three receptionists: two full time and one part time. The part time one was studying at college to be a vet nurse, I think. One of them wasn't that fantastic in my opinion, she was always getting confused about things, but the other two were brilliant. There were about 10/11 vet nurses, as well. Maybe more than that actually, it was a fairly big practice.

ReputationRep:
    Well my practice is fairly large and they always have a nurse on reception; I understand that nurses want to get on with their job, but if they're rotated through the roles, as happens here, you might only spend one day on reception every fortnight.
    I'd hate for my clients to feel the way I did in the GP's, so I'd insist on only hiring qualified or experienced staff.

Oh, my vets won Petplan Practice of the year. Wooo
    My vets came runners up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    My vets came runners up!
    nice

We (I say we as if I'm really part of the place...how wishful.) didn't expect the win at all, because they've actually won it before. Which makes them the first practice to win it twice, in fact. Probably because they've got nurses on reception :p:

All your exams finished?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.