The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5680
PowerLewis
nice :smile:

We (I say we as if I'm really part of the place...how wishful.) didn't expect the win at all, because they've actually won it before. Which makes them the first practice to win it twice, in fact. Probably because they've got nurses on reception :p:

All your exams finished?

Bahaha.
Well my practice's Head Nurse got Head Nurse of the Year a little while ago...

Yes. PCEMS now.
Wow this thread is so slow now!!

Got a question I was hoping you lot might know a bit about...but don't know how many people still read this thread now!! anyway...

we've just finished shearing at the farm i've been working at, and one of the shearers was talking about a farm he had been to, I didn't catch the name of what he was saying, but apparently the farmer was sewing pieces of fabric (out of fabric pattern books from furniture places etc) over the back end of the hoggs (sewing onto their wool). So that the hoggs could run with the ewes at tupping time and not be tupped.

I'd never heard of this before, and it seems like a really time consuming and random method of stock control. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of it, and if it is a common thing?!

I must admit though, I was quite amused at the idea of all the hoggs running around with multicoloured fabric covering their back ends!
I've never heard of it :smile:. I read this thread, just sometimes don't post :smile:
kookabura
Wow this thread is so slow now!!

Got a question I was hoping you lot might know a bit about...but don't know how many people still read this thread now!! anyway...

we've just finished shearing at the farm i've been working at, and one of the shearers was talking about a farm he had been to, I didn't catch the name of what he was saying, but apparently the farmer was sewing pieces of fabric (out of fabric pattern books from furniture places etc) over the back end of the hoggs (sewing onto their wool). So that the hoggs could run with the ewes at tupping time and not be tupped.

I'd never heard of this before, and it seems like a really time consuming and random method of stock control. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of it, and if it is a common thing?!

I must admit though, I was quite amused at the idea of all the hoggs running around with multicoloured fabric covering their back ends!

i still read this thread :smile:

cant help you though cos i dont have a clue what a hogg or tupping is
Annaconda
i still read this thread :smile:

cant help you though cos i dont have a clue what a hogg or tupping is

Sorry!!

By hogg I mean the year after the lambs were born, some people do send hoggs to the a ram and lamb them - but a lot of places don't as it can be a lot of hassle with the hoggs being young still themselves. You would often only get a single lamb, and can be a lot of problems with the ewe rejecting it etc. Tupping, literally just the ram mating with the ewes.

So, this farm I heard about, had all the older ewes and hoggs in a field together, but only wanted the ram to mate the older ewes. So sewed fabric patches over the back end of the young ones. I wasn't sure if this was actually something that anyone else did - or if it was just one random farmers way of dealing with it! Cos, surely it would just be easier to split them into two fields!
Reply 5685
kookabura

So, this farm I heard about, had all the older ewes and hoggs in a field together, but only wanted the ram to mate the older ewes. So sewed fabric patches over the back end of the young ones. I wasn't sure if this was actually something that anyone else did - or if it was just one random farmers way of dealing with it! Cos, surely it would just be easier to split them into two fields!

Seriously?! Bizarre...! Are you sure they weren't having you on?!
After lots of googling, I've found it...so no, they weren't having me on!
http://blog.tarset.co.uk/2009/12/under-age-sex.html Apparently it is called "breeking" doesn't sound like it is very common, but it is sometimes done.
hoggs....lots call them yearling/shearling, or in welsh 'spinod'

we winter all of ours, so send them 3 houers away, so we don't. most ppl winter them in seprate field coz they need more feed than ewes, well unless the ewes will be lambing in jan/feb
they must not have many yearlings/hoggs then, and how how the hell can you sew that on them? guessing its like under the tail, but how do they piss??? isn't it easier to invent a coil for sheep?? LOL

for some reason hoog reminds me of a pig.
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
hoggs....lots call them yearling/shearling, or in welsh 'spinod'

we winter all of ours, so send them 3 houers away, so we don't. most ppl winter them in seprate field coz they need more feed than ewes, well unless the ewes will be lambing in jan/feb
they must not have many yearlings/hoggs then, and how how the hell can you sew that on them? guessing its like under the tail, but how do they piss??? isn't it easier to invent a coil for sheep?? LOL

for some reason hoog reminds me of a pig.

sheep terminology seems to vary loads from area to area. The farm I've been working on calls them hoggs between the period of being a lamb and being sheared for the first time, then calls them shearlings. So in april we had ewes lambing (some of which were shearling ewes, first lambing, but are two years old). Also had a flock of hoggs which were a year old (ie: last years lambs), they have now been sheared and are next years shearling ewes.

and yeh, hogg made me think of pigs to start with!

It does seem like a really time consuming thing to do, both to put on and take off! I would have liked the see the flock the shearers were on about though...a flock running around with multicoloured fabric sewn on their tails! Must have made passers by wondered what an earth they were wearing!!
a yeah, we call them spinod (when they still ahvn't teethed) so hoggs/yearlings then spinod dau ddant (when their first 2 teeth have rised) shearling hehe
i think the welsh way makes sense coz u name them by the amount of teeth they have so like if they were 3 years old, we'd call them '6th tooth' or if they were 4 '8th tooth' dont know if u call ewes by this as well? u probs do, but at the farm i went lambing, he just ahd then in 'gangs/lots' so knew that the red lot is always the oneas he sells, the purple lot changes to red next yr, the blue changes to purple and so on (by marking)
when on our farm all ags are together, so taggs colour=sheeps age, so when it come to selling the olddies at 4yrs, we can easily find them...

we dont sheer till july...im gonna miss it :frown: well gwtted
so diverse the way farming workes in different places

also I think they use hoggs in NZ
yeh, have heard the way of naming them by teeth, but didnt really refer to them by that. Lambs, then hoggs, shearlings, ewes. And the same with ear tag colour, this years hoggs were pink, shearlings orange and so on. made it easy to know which ones are more likely to be right sods at lambing!

if hoggs is a new zealand term, that makes sense, cos the shepherd worked in NZ for years. wish it wasn't so confusing though, no where seems to use the same names!!
wher i went they called the young lambing ewes "tooters" or two toothers in a devon accent :p:
This thread will pick up again once exams are over, especially when results come out! scary...
Very Scary :O
Reply 5694
Yeah that's what I thought. Around results time this is going to be my refuge of panic. Seriously, the thought of results throws me into a constant state of nerves now...and it's ages away!!

Mind you, so does the fact that my exams are in two days...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Reply 5695
Talon19921992
This thread will pick up again once exams are over, especially when results come out! scary...

Peterrrrr :smile:
How're your exams coming along?
Hi Steph!

Maths C3 resit - Ok, not an A but better than last time.
Maths C4 - I hope an A

those are the only two I've done so far, but i've got General studies Monday, M1 tuesday and Biology F215 on Wednesday...

What about you? and everyone else for that matter!
got errr general monday, c4 tuesday, biol wednesday, chem thursday :frown:
skatealexia
got errr general monday, c4 tuesday, biol wednesday, chem thursday :frown:

me too, such a fun week :p: i've already had my stats 1 exam
i don't know whether i prefer to get most of them out of the way so i can stop worrying about them because then i've only got psychology at the end of the month, i think i'd prefer it if they were more spaced out.
ah well :rolleyes:
I;ve had stats too :d. Ive got a biol resit, the week after. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending