Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    :p: Sounds weird. Was she like a year 11/12 student on work experience?

Am I the only person on here not doing work experience at the moment :eek: ?
    I'm not, I'm up in Bristol with my very ill boyfriend who is bedridden whilst I bring him Lucozade and try and amuse myself. But I am doing a few days lambing at the end of the week and for a few weekends afterwards.

I love meeting new work experience students at the vets I go to regularly, it makes me feel all knowledgable and important.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done lambing :shy2:

I'm envious of everyone on here who has.
    I haven't either It'll be my first time, I'm quite excited. I think there's going to be a couple of RVC students as well, I got it through one of them who can't make it this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Pendragon)
    Don't give up on finding some- it really is the most amazing experience! It's one of the few work ex things where your actually given real responsibility! Makes me feel like a vet
    Yeh! Lambing is soooo good. I remember last year I was just left to look after 500 sheep on my own, "wander round every so often, if something is having trouble lamb it, ring me if you need to!" This was on relatively little lambing experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Yeh! Lambing is soooo good. I remember last year I was just left to look after 500 sheep on my own, "wander round every so often, if something is having trouble lamb it, ring me if you need to!" This was on relatively little lambing experience.
    Yeah, that's exactly what happened with me, I think most farmers seem to be like that. It's a fantastic experience, generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Yeah, that's exactly what happened with me, I think most farmers seem to be like that. It's a fantastic experience, generally.
    I'm going back in a week, well looking forward to it, farmer said I can do nights if I want!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to double post!

I think I am going to go to sleep now, RVC interview tomorrow, up early etc

Goodnight! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to double post!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to double post!

Good luck! They'll love you!!

ReputationRep:
    So you do everything on your own? Woah-sounds cool. What exactly does it involve?

ReputationRep:
    what are the realistic chances of any hands on eexperience if you've never done any lambing before? id love to do some but havent a clue what im diong!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I haven't either It'll be my first time, I'm quite excited. I think there's going to be a couple of RVC students as well, I got it through one of them who can't make it this year.
    :O I thought I was alone...

I'll have to see if I can organise some. But with the luck I had last time, it seems doubtful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiv583)
    what are the realistic chances of any hands on eexperience if you've never done any lambing before? id love to do some but havent a clue what im diong!!
    I'd never done any before and on the second day I was on my own, and helped deliver a set of twins that were twisted all over the place on the third day. The farmer I worked with was amazing and really keen to let me do as much and teach me as much as possible. I learnt so much more in a week lambing than at any other of my placements. I'd had no experience on a farm of any sort before lambing, and it was amazingggg. It was completely hands on and non-stop all day and night, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    last year when i went lambing, id been on the farm about 20 minutes, i'd basically never been near a sheep in my life, and the farmer let me pull the lamb out and get it breathing,,,so i'd say very realistic :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would say pretty certain. I was doing lambings unassisted by the end of the first day, and i think everyone i've spoken to has said the same. But I'd advise reading up a little about lambing before you go, if you do go, cos someone I know wasn't actually shown anything. She was just shown to the shed and told to get on with it!!

ReputationRep:
    When I first went lambin I didn't have any experience and on the first day the famer left me own while he went to get lunch! Its quite easy and you pick up what to do really quickly. A couple of weeks later I went to a different farm with my friend and I was teaching her what to do!! :yep:

Good luck talon for your interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    I'm not, I'm up in Bristol with my very ill boyfriend who is bedridden whilst I bring him Lucozade and try and amuse myself. But I am doing a few days lambing at the end of the week and for a few weekends afterwards.

I love meeting new work experience students at the vets I go to regularly, it makes me feel all knowledgable and important.
    Hope your boyfriend gets well soon

I haven't been to my vets in a while. I think i'll start again in april maybe.

:o: I blacked out there once. I have no idea why...everything just went dark and was luckily caught by nurse as I fell to floor. :p:

A cat was having its bladder unblocked I think. It hadn't been able to urinate for 3 days I was told, and that crystals were forming in its bladder. The vet sprayed something into the air to test it, and within 2 minutes of that happening i collapsed. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Oooh. Nice. What grade are you?

I wouldn't worry too much about the lambing. I haven't done any either and have gotten an interview. Its just been so difficult to find a farm placement. I only have 1 week on a farm, which was really really tiny, and the farmer had lost most of her cattle to foot and mouth 2 years back. Got to learn a lot about that-e.g the controls they had to put in place, and proceedures carried out. But had no opportunity to do calving, dairy, or lambing

I've done 7 , flute is my main instrument though, what grade are you?

Oh that't unlucky , I have only had 2 weeks on a farm so Im not much better off. I woud love to do lambing I just don't know where to look :/

I would like to get a Bristol interview as it would be nice to have another chance if i fail at Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma_fallon)
    I've done 7 , flute is my main instrument though, what grade are you?

Oh that't unlucky , I have only had 2 weeks on a farm so Im not much better off. I woud love to do lambing I just don't know where to look :/

I would like to get a Bristol interview as it would be nice to have another chance if i fail at Liverpool
    I've just started grade 7, well, I started on it at the start of Yr 13 tbh, and haven't really gotten anywhere with it...
    Just haven't been having the time to practice, which isn't good.
    I used to play piano-got to grade 3, but then stopped, so violin is my only instrument now.

Hope you do get the interview I am panicking about mine!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for interviews tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I've just started grade 7, well, I started on it at the start of Yr 13 tbh, and haven't really gotten anywhere with it...
    Just haven't been having the time to practice, which isn't good.
    I used to play piano-got to grade 3, but then stopped, so violin is my only instrument now.

Hope you do get the interview I am panicking about mine!

I know what you mean there is no time for anything anymore since applying to be a vet!

thanks , i hope yours goes well , do you think it will be a lot different from your cambridge one ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.